Asian Carp May Have Breached Barrier For Lake

ExiledInIllinois

Interesting stuff to say the least.

Asian Carp Breach

Article 1

Article 2

I have been saying this for years... When will they start listening to the "boots on the ground?" :wallbash::wallbash:

I have always said that this was our last defense against the wholesale invasion to the great lakes ecosystem... With the enviros itching to use this card against the economy.

For the record, I am all for closure... We gotta do what we gotta do. I said it with Katrina years ago... Now a judge has just ruled for the first time in history against the USACE... Something that I was saying days BEFORE that historical storm 4 years ago.

IMO, just from being around... I think these fish have been here for sometime now. We will see how it plays out. In an already bad economy, a 60 day closure can cost the national economy about 15-25 million dollars... And that is just factoring in commercial cargo. My gut feeling for a long time now is to just nuke the whole river by poisoning it. It isn't like fish can't get through a leaky lock and dam. :wallbash::wallbash:

Oh... For the record also... I am for abatement... Do everything to slow them down, you just won't stop them... Like the zebra mussels, take the good (cleaning up the water) with the bad (over-running the ecosystem).

People forget the Great Lakes were orginally as close to a sterile ecosytem as one can get. Everything has been introduced to the enviro.

People forget the Great Lakes were orginally as close to a sterile ecosytem as one can get. Everything has been introduced to the enviro.

Ditto for the entire Western Hemisphere. It's amazing how much damage has been done in only 500 years.

Ditto for the entire Western Hemisphere. It's amazing how much damage has been done in only 500 years.

That is agood point KD. Gets me thinking about other angles. Look how much harm can be caused by OVER fishing. If they commercially OVER fish say the blue pike in Lake Erie and make them extinct there... Why not apply the same principles to the silver carp (Asian carp)... They are a very edible fish that can be used many ways, especially around say a starving world.

Commercially fish them to the point of OVER fishing... Process them. I always thought that OVER fishing was one of the easiest ways to harm an enviro. In this case it would be GOOD and fun!

Two words:

Giant NET.

Oh, another thing too is... Will the silver carp actually proliferate the lakes like they say? I heard that they spawn at 70 degrees or more water temp... My point is the water temp in many of the lakes (especially the deep ones) remains constant at various depths and usually around the 40 degree mark.

I am not an expert on all this... But there has to be common sense approachs to a touchstone issues/problems (water diversion, navigation, enviro, invasive species) that I have been witnessing day in and day out for the last 20 or so years. Heck, back in the late 1990's (1997), the USGS shocked part of the river and they were pulling up 60-70 pound carp.

Commercially fish them to the point of OVER fishing... Process them. I always thought that OVER fishing was one of the easiest ways to harm an enviro. In this case it would be GOOD and fun!

As a food source carp have a bad rap here but they are actually pretty tasty - at least what I had over in Japan.

This is happening everywhere. Plenty of invasive species in the UK.

Parakeets. Signal Crayfish. Mink. Wels Catfish. Chinese Mitten Crab. Zebra Mussels. Muntjac Deer. Grey Squirrel. Edible Dormouse. Wallabies (!). Knotweed. Hogweed. Ruddy Ducks (ruddy ducks!). Canadian Geese. Bullfrog. Flatworm. Jellyfish.

Some more invasive than others, but parts of our ecosystem are being hammered (especially rivers).

Parakeets. Signal Crayfish. Mink. Wels Catfish. Chinese Mitten Crab. Zebra Mussels. Muntjac Deer. Grey Squirrel. Edible Dormouse. Wallabies (!). Knotweed. Hogweed. Ruddy Ducks (ruddy ducks!). Canadian Geese. Bullfrog. Flatworm. Jellyfish.

Some more invasive than others, but parts of our ecosystem are being hammered (especially rivers).

:rolleyes: edible dormouse?

By whom?

Nice list.

But no raccoons and rabies on the island... :rolleyes::thumbsup: How the eff is a deer getting on the island when if you want to move there with your pet dog/cat/horse... Whatever, one has to quarantine for six months. I work with a guy that moved there and had to quarantine his pets for 6 months.

Who the phuck is sneaking in minks? And not those kind! <_<

No doubt, but I did just watch 'America Before Columbus' the other night, so all that was fresh in my mind. :rolleyes:

Nice list.

But no raccoons and rabies on the island... :lol::lol: How the eff is a deer getting on the island when if you want to move there with your pet dog/cat/horse... Whatever, one has to quarantine for six months. I work with a guy that moved there and had to quarantine his pets for 6 months.

Who the phuck is sneaking in minks? And not those kind! :lol:

A lot were brought in during the 19th century. The grey squirrels and crayfish have pretty much destoyed the native species. The catfish and mink are a menace to just about everything sharing a body of water with them.

Crayfish were introduced as a food resource. Minks were farmed. Deer and wallabies were in zoos. All escaped. We used to have a real coypu problem in the east of the country, but a determined extermination effort wiped them out.

The are large predatory cats (probably panthers) in parts of the country.

There is now in place a pet passport system, so vaccinated pets can be easily transported without the long period of quarantine.

A lot were brought in during the 19th century. The grey squirrels and crayfish have pretty much destoyed the native species. The catfish and mink are a menace to just about everything sharing a body of water with them.

Crayfish were introduced as a food resource. Minks were farmed. Deer and wallabies were in zoos. All escaped. We used to have a real coypu problem in the east of the country, but a determined extermination effort wiped them out.

The are large predatory cats (probably panthers) in parts of the country.

There is now in place a pet passport system, so vaccinated pets can be easily transported without the long period of quarantine.

Thanks... I have a friend at work that moved there for a spell in the 1990's... He said it was tough... Had to quarantine his pets for 6 months (even tougher because only certain private kennels were registered... 250 (in US dollars). He also said the week link was between (fly into) Shannon (IRL) and then sneak them across on the ferry.

Get this... DNR comes through testing for DNA... I step out and talk to them on the wall and ask if they can tell between what is "dead" DNA or "Live" DNA... Not knowing what I meant (like that ain't new... :thumbsup: ) I explained that a lot of barges come through and have the dead fish on their deck... They jump out of the water down river and then the barge goes north past the barrier... Of course the deckhands will sweep the dead fish in the water... I have notice for the first time this year that type of happening.

Also... The river below us and above the fish barrier splits off at a "Y" or fork... One goes downtown (left up river), the other around and to us on the Calumet and out to the lake... Most industry goes that route (Cal-Sag)... All the DNA hits were on the Cal-Sag... Not on the Sanitary Canal (to downtown), not ONE DNA hit there! Now, either the fish are only making "right turns" at the fork in the road... Or something is wrong.

From the looks on the faces of the DNR, I think I suprised them with the information. What is up with these people??... Would they actually poison the river without thinking first??? I guess it is: "Rocket Man, all the science I don't understand, it is just my job five days a week."

They have shown up in a pond in the UK as well...

Wow... :thumbsup:

We can thank England for the starlings that are in the states... Also, there is colony of parrots that lives near my work in Chicago... They live in the oaks at a golf course nearby (coccoons like things... Winter)... Then fly over here and hang out in the locust trees at work during the warmer months... Noisy buggers!

Also... Didn't they bring lady bugs over from Australia in the 1800's... For the crops in Cali?

• 2 weeks later...
speaking of invasive species, Piranha have showed (shown?) up in a lake down here in Habana Norte

They have shown up in a pond in the UK as well...

Back in the 70's a friend of mine used to keep piranha in his aquarium in his apartment in Lackawanna. Well they died, so he put them in the freezer. Being a clown he thaws them out and takes them down to the Buffalo small boat harbor and calls the paper. Says he just caught a piranha with a rod and reel-the paper[i guess Buffalo evening news] runs this big time. Front page, with many biologists giving their thoughts of why piranhas Had gotten to lake Erie, and how it made sense to them.

Week later the lab says"by the way, that was a frozen fish"