turduckin

dib

And you'd be right. Classic French cooking and history are two interests of mine. However turducken sounds like it would be right out of Careme.

Had to Google him. Abandoned in Paris by destitute parents...fascinating.

I'm with you on the history part, but I've never done any French cooking. I'll hold my BBQ up against anyone's, but I can't do anything more complicated.

Up next for me...bread...I figure I have to have something to keep me busy during the cold winter months.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm with you on the history part, but I've never done any French cooking. I'll hold my BBQ up against anyone's, but I can't do anything more complicated.

Up next for me...bread...I figure I have to have something to keep me busy during the cold winter months.

I love this time of year for cooking. I have homemade soppressata that I made two weeks ago haning in my "wine cellar" drying for Christmas. Pheasant, squab, goose, cassoulet, pate and all those classic country dishes are on the slate for the upcoming colder months.

I love this time of year for cooking. I have homemade soppressata that I made two weeks ago haning in my "wine cellar" drying for Christmas. Pheasant, squab, goose, cassoulet, pate and all those classic country dishes are on the slate for the upcoming colder months.

Homemade sopressata? That sounds awesome. You got a good recipe? I've thought about doing that before but I didn't want to just try some random recipe I found online. It would suck to see the sopressata hanging there tempting me for 2 months only to disappoint when I finally ate it.

Note: As I type this, I realize that I am, in fact, asking for a "random recipe I found online" thereby rendering my enitre point moot. What can I say... :rolleyes:

Homemade sopressata? That sounds awesome. You got a good recipe? I've thought about doing that before but I didn't want to just try some random recipe I found online. It would suck to see the sopressata hanging there tempting me for 2 months only to disappoint when I finally ate it.

Note: As I type this, I realize that I am, in fact, asking you for a "random recipe I found online" thereby rendering my enitre point moot. What can I say... :rolleyes:

I'm usuing the recipe in this book. It's only the second time I've made it and I would recommend you check back with me in a month to see how it comes out. It's a good book though if you're wanting to make smoked and cured meats and sausages. When I retire I want to have room on my property for a smokehouse and make some extra money selling charcuterie at the farmers markets.

Cold winter months .... in North Texas?

Oh for the love of... :rolleyes:

Will you give it rest already?!?!?

I suppose you're too good for microwave popcorn too!!! :thumbsup:

I'm usuing the recipe in this book. It's only the second time I've made it and I would recommend you check back with me in a month to see how it comes out. It's a good book though if you're wanting to make smoked and cured meats and sausages. When I retire I want to have room on my property for a smokehouse and make some extra money selling charcuterie at the farmers markets.

Nice...I'll check back for the verdict. I added the book to my wish list in the meantime.

Smokehouse idea sounds legit. Hopefully you've been working with a decent financial planner to make that happen...

Oh for the love of... :rolleyes:

Will you give it rest already?!?!?

I suppose you're too good for microwave popcorn too!!! :thumbsup:

No I do eat it, but reluctantly. Though of all of you last night while working late and I didn't get dinner and all that was in the office was microwave popcorn. But you'll never catch me buying it.

Nice...I'll check back for the verdict. I added the book to my wish list in the meantime.

Smokehouse idea sounds legit. Hopefully you've been working with a decent financial planner to make that happen...

Nah, how much money does it take to live in a shack in the woods with an old refrigerator turned into a smoker?

Squirrel is smokable too you know.

Nah, how much money does it take to live in a shack in the woods with an old refrigerator turned into a smoker?

If I ever do decide to hire a financial planner, that will undoubtedly be my first question.

Don't have to sell me on it. I'm currently working on my annual Turduckel for Thursday's feast.

No I do eat it, but reluctantly. Though of all of you last night while working late and I didn't get dinner and all that was in the office was microwave popcorn. But you'll never catch me buying it.

:thumbsup: Isn't it strange (read: sad) how the most mundane or random things trigger your brain into thinking about TSW sometimes?

You know, this talk about smokable foods got me to thinking; maybe we could gather up all those Asian carp and cram 'em into a giant smokehouse... wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am, our carp and hunger problems are solved!!! :rolleyes:

If I ever do decide to hire a financial planner, that will undoubtedly be my first question.

Don't have to sell me on it. I'm currently working on my annual Turduckel for Thursday's feast.

It's a novelty thing which most know, and the complaints so far seemed to be about price.

AFAIK, none of the complainers offered a comment as to whether or not it was a tasty meal, pleased the invited crowd. And that's the goal, IMO. :thumbsup:

Let us know how the day went for you, and the folks you cooked for and fed. You are taking the effort to give something special. :rolleyes:

Edited by stuckincincy

It's a novelty thing which we most know, and the complaints so far seemed to be about price.

AFAIK, none of the complainers offered a comment as to whether or not it was a tasty meal, pleased the invited crowd. And that's the goal, IMO. <_<

Let us know how the day went for you, and the folks you cooked for and fed. :rolleyes:

I'm not complaining on the taste....never had it. Just not a big fan of the novelty foods. Fried twinkies anyone? :thumbsup:

I'm not complaining on the taste....never had it. Just not a big fan of the novelty foods. Fried twinkies anyone? :rolleyes:

I suppose you wouldn't care for my Butterfinger Pie (the candy bar - used to be made by Curtiss, but I don't know who owns them now...probably Nestle.)

The dough and the crust would astound you. Making dough is one of my skills.

I suppose you wouldn't care for my Butterfinger Pie (the candy bar - used to be made by Curtiss, but I don't know who owns them now...probably Nestle).

The dough and the crust would astound you. Making dough is one of my skills.

It's one of my skills too. :rolleyes: