Was watching ESPN earlier..what was so special

BeastMode54

Sure he was small. But he didn't lead his team back from 4 Td's down or anything miraculous like that. He just threw a ball as far as he could and the WR caught it. I've seen that a number of times. Kordell Stewart against Michigan comes to mind, but no one does a piece on that throw. What makes Flutie's so special. I say nothing, but I'm interested in others opinions

I have always felt the same thing. Kordell Stewarts pass was better imho.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

ok, right. but why do we still talk about it, let alone have a piece done about it on ESPN. He didn't even play regularly in the NFL until the twilight of his career. I just don't get it. A prayer in the dark throw makes him a legend? I don't get it

It was also the fact that part of the reason the catch was possible is b/c the throw had so much mustard on it from such a long way. If Flutie's arm isn't so strong, he can't get the ball back to his receiver who was somewhat behind the coverage b/c the defenders didn't think the ball could get to that spot. A shot in the dark is a heave into a crowd kind of like the Steelers/Colts throw in 1995 when Harbaugh almost connected witht the right bounces.

Flutie's pass had eyes, and speed.

Sure he was small. But he didn't lead his team back from 4 Td's down or anything miraculous like that. He just threw a ball as far as he could and the WR caught it. I've seen that a number of times. Kordell Stewart against Michigan comes to mind, but no one does a piece on that throw. What makes Flutie's so special. I say nothing, but I'm interested in others opinions

The BC Eagles were playing against the Mighty Hurricanes and were heavy underdogs by the media leading up to it.. That they were in the game was a huge accomplishment. If he hadnt won the game with that throw and they lost he still had a great game agaisnt a great defense, the fact he threw it up and it was caught for a touchdown made it all more special..I watched that whole game and was totally entranched by the flow of the game. To this day there have been maybe one or two games I have felt the same way..The other was the Texas USC Rose Bowl game with Vince Young...

The BC Eagles were playing against the Mighty Hurricanes and were heavy underdogs by the media leading up to it.. That they were in the game was a huge accomplishment. If he hadnt won the game with that throw and they lost he still had a great game agaisnt a great defense, the fact he threw it up and it was caught for a touchdown made it all more special..I watched that whole game and was totally entranched by the flow of the game. To this day there have been maybe one or two games I have felt the same way..The other was the Texas USC Rose Bowl game with Vince Young...

No offense, but that game was for the National Championship, and featured 2 of the best college football teams ever, there is no comparison between the magnitude of the two games.

The BC-Miami game was a great (while lucky) win for an underdog team that brought some credibility to an otherwise ho-hum college program. Nothing more.

There have been many, many regular season college games that were just as exciting during the last 20 years, not to mention a slew of bowl games (i.e. the 2003 Fiesta Bowl) that--in my opinion--top BC-Miami for excitement.

And as others have mentioned, the Kordell Steward-Michael Westbrook play was better as far as hail marys go. Longer pass, bigger game, etc.

Lots of reasons:

Miami was the defending nat'l champion, and even though they were not having a great season after dropping some close games, where considered among the new royalty of college football and were still ranked in the top 15.

BC was having a great season -- best in school history. They were in the top 10 and I believe finished the year 10-2 or thereabouts.

Flutie was not a one game wonder -- he left BC as the all time passing leader in college football history and was already the front runner for the Heisman.

The game was nationally televised over Thanksgiving weekend, had a huge audience and the game itself was incredible; easily one of the 5 best college football games ever. Flutie and Koser were both unstoppable, throwing for over 900 yards between them.

Miami scored the apparent winning TD with less than a minute to go. Flutie got the ball on his own 20 with 28 seconds to go. Just getting to the 50 to set up the Hail Mary was impressive.

The play itself. How many big-game winning Haily Mary's can you remember in your life? I can remember 3: this one, Kordell/Westbrook and Staubach/Person.

This play is the anti-Wide Right. It has always lived up to the hype.

Ditto all of the above.

I also think the game is like watching a movie. The color of the game, the uniforms and the weather, make it like watching a movie. The game had sunshine, darkness and rain. To have such a great game played in the rain like that was special.

That 65-yard line-drive throw convinced me Flutie could play on the next level. Also he made several other throws during the game that proved to me he could play in the pros.

Also if you listen to Ara Paraseghian during the telecast, he too becomes convinced Flutie could play in the pros. Towards the end of the game, he says he draft Flutie No. 1.

Then if you watched the Cotton Bowl that year, Ara basically did the same thing. He was just really impressed with BC's ability to carve up a defense.

Did you even see the whole game?? It was simply a great game with a great finish.

Go stick your nose back in Jason Peter's a$$--and think of something more bright to say before you next surface for air.

Who took a **** in your cornflakes. I was simply asking a question. I don't care for Flutie one way or the other, I was just curious about the Miami game. I'll make sure not to post about your dad anymore Doug Jr.

Drew Willy had a hail mary throw shown a thousand times on ESPN. Led his team to a conference title. Didn't help him reach the NFL.

PTR

But he didn't lead his team back from 4 Td's down or anything miraculous like that. He just threw a ball as far as he could and the WR caught it. I've seen that a number of times. Kordell Stewart against Michigan comes to mind, but no one does a piece on that throw. What makes Flutie's so special. I say nothing, but I'm interested in others opinions

But he didn't lead his team back from 4 Td's down or anything miraculous like that. He just threw a ball as far as he could and T.O. caught it. I've seen that a number of times. But no one does a piece on that throw. What makes Fitzpatrick so special. I say nothing, but I'm interested in others opinions.

Now if you want to talk about something special, let's marvel at how one man pulled the greatest comeback in college football history, then did it again in the NFL. That's truly special.

Without Flutie, Boston probably wouldn't exist today.

Maybe so.

The guy was short.

Uh huh.

The guy is an ass.

Don't know him personally, but that's the image he seems to project.

The guy wins playoff games.

Uh....um....err....well....

it was a david(BC and Flutie) vs Goliath(the mighty 'canes) on national tv over the thanksgiving holiday weekend....back then we didn't have the media flood of countless live games to watch..this was it and got all the media attention...don't discount what great play that was because of some ill will towards flutie... flutie has always been a very likeable guy and he made a spectacular play...don't take that away from him or sports fans across the nation

at least you are honest about it :wallbash: ....get past that bias and enjoy the play for what it was....it's like saying OJ wasn't that good in the 70's because of what happened later

My opinion might be tainted because I actually hate him as a person, but thats my take.

Lots of reasons:

Miami was the defending nat'l champion, and even though they were not having a great season after dropping some close games, where considered among the new royalty of college football and were still ranked in the top 15.

BC was having a great season -- best in school history. They were in the top 10 and I believe finished the year 10-2 or thereabouts.

Flutie was not a one game wonder -- he left BC as the all time passing leader in college football history and was already the front runner for the Heisman.

The game was nationally televised over Thanksgiving weekend, had a huge audience and the game itself was incredible; easily one of the 5 best college football games ever. Flutie and Koser were both unstoppable, throwing for over 900 yards between them.

Miami scored the apparent winning TD with less than a minute to go. Flutie got the ball on his own 20 with 28 seconds to go. Just getting to the 50 to set up the Hail Mary was impressive.

The play itself. How many big-game winning Haily Mary's can you remember in your life? I can remember 3: this one, Kordell/Westbrook and Staubach/Person.

This play is the anti-Wide Right. It has always lived up to the hype.

Agreed for all the reasons listed above.. For BC it could have been anybody at QB in the 84 season. Any QB who would have accomplished these feats and then beat Mighty Miami in the Orange Bowl on a throw like that would have received recognition. The fact that he was 5' 8" and threw the ball 63 yards in the air only adds to the hype. For the record Kordell's pass was roughly 74 yards in the air (what a throw!!) and in comparision Fitz's big bomb this past weekend (which looked like he heaved it as far as he could) traveled 45yds in the air.

I enjoyed the Flutie years in Buffalo but for what it's worth let's let it go man... This team needs direction now and there is no real hope yet in sight.

No offense, but that game was for the National Championship, and featured 2 of the best college football teams ever, there is no comparison between the magnitude of the two games.

The BC-Miami game was a great (while lucky) win for an underdog team that brought some credibility to an otherwise ho-hum college program. Nothing more.

There have been many, many regular season college games that were just as exciting during the last 20 years, not to mention a slew of bowl games (i.e. the 2003 Fiesta Bowl) that--in my opinion--top BC-Miami for excitement.

And as others have mentioned, the Kordell Steward-Michael Westbrook play was better as far as hail marys go. Longer pass, bigger game, etc.

All i said was that the two games kept me entranched watching the whole time..My god some of you take things out of context..LOL..And IMO that ranks in my top 2..You might have a better top two so be it..

Bigger game?? Not even close. That game was in mid-September and neither team went on to win their conference.

BC's win put them in the Cotton Bowl (one of the Big 4 bowls in those days).

1) It happened the day after Thanksgiving in front of a national-TV audience;

2)It was against 'The U', who were the defending national champions;

3) It was against Bernie Kosar, who had just led a drive to put the 'canes ahead 45-41 with 28 seconds left;

4) It capped-off a magical season for Flutie and the BC Eagles, who were overwhelming underdogs having gone winless the previous season.

Doug Flutie Hail Mary play still magical 25 years later

Don't forget Joe Ferguson's last second hail mary pass to Roland Hooks in the early 80's.

I was in the stadium for that game. It was one for the ages. In fact if you had to have the top ten regular season game the bills ever played, I think that would be one. I bet the game Jim Kelly won against Miami with a quarterback draw would be another. There was a game against Houston with George Blanda at QB where Hagood Clark intercepted a Blanda pass with almost no time left and returned it for a touchdown. Come to think of it I'll bet the Ferguson Hooks game would have to be in the top five.

Several people have posted specifics about Miami v. BC. All I remember was...I watched it ...remember it like it was yesterday and couldn't help but jump off my couch at the time. To be in Buffalo watching a horrible Bills team all season you could only hope that they would "Draft Doug Flutie" as the buttons everyone wore said.

The guy was short. The guy is an ass. The guy wins.

i love this short ass winner! i wish we had more short ass winners on our tall dik loser team!

wait whats the opposite of an ass? dik sounds about right! lol

what makes him so special is that he ran like a head less chicken and made some exciting plays. u were excited to see what the headless chicken would do. lots of times resulting in long runs, lucky receptions (or where they?), tds, and best of all wins.

since you are asking for opinions, thats mine. and let me add: he was fun to watch even if we lost. as opposed to losing with nothing exciting at all. example cleveland vs bills. 6-3. boring a la carta.

like this weekend vs jags. we lost. yes. but there were moments. t.o finally having a good game. the sacks. the int. u get the picture. a coach that looked like he was having fun. a coach that had a heart.

OBVIOUSLY no one wants to see cool games that end up in losses. but somehow they are tolerable if they are exciting.