Big Brothers, Big Sisters

Fezmid

My wife is thinking about becoming a Big Sister. The application requires a background check as well as 5 references -- which is more than most of the jobs I've ever had have done...

I was wondering if anyone has ever volunteered for this organization? Any stories, good or bad?

My wife is thinking about becoming a Big Sister. The application requires a background check as well as 5 references -- which is more than most of the jobs I've ever had have done...

I was wondering if anyone has ever volunteered for this organization? Any stories, good or bad?

My college here has a Big Brothers Big Sisters office and my friend is currently a big brother. He says that it's one of the greatest things he has ever done with his time. His "little brother" is a great kid who was in a bad situation for a while. All the checking and references are justified, I think, due to how closely these "bigs" work with children.

My youngest son had a "big brother" for about 2 years until we moved out of New York state.

I have only good things to say about this program.

And as a parent, I'm in favor of very strict background checks. I wish we could have had that kind of scrutiny for boy scout leaders as well.

My youngest son had a "big brother" for about 2 years until we moved out of New York state.

I have only good things to say about this program.

And as a parent, I'm in favor of very strict background checks. I wish we could have had that kind of scrutiny for boy scout leaders as well.

I'm glad to hear about the rigorous background checks as well. I hear the Big Brother commercials on GR online. The first thing that I thought of was perverts getting involved in the program. They are actually known for targeting such situations. Child molesters will put themselves in situations in which they come into contact with kids and usually as an authority figure ( such as boy scouts, priesthood, dating a single mom with kids, or being a party clown) so you can never be too careful.

To end on a positive note, it sounds like a great program for the vast majority of people who get involved with the right intentions.

I wasn't complaining about the background checks - just found it odd that the process seems more thorough than anything else I've seen. ;)

I guess I'm concerned with any potential allegations that the kid might make. All it takes is one crazy person to make an insane allegation to ruin your life -- in this country we like to judge first and worry about the facts afterwards (if at all).

Maybe I'm just being overly paranoid.

I was a Big Brother through Big Brothers/Big Sisters twice. Both were years I was in college.

It really isn't much of a time commitment and doesn't take much effort.

There are so many kids out there that are desperate for attention, role-models and guidance.

People often mistakingly think they have to wow their little big/brother big/sister with fancy activities(spending cash)

From personal experience -I can tell you my little brothers were just as happy to play catch, take the car to the hand car- wash, sledding, hang out with my college buddies, etc. than doing activities where I had to spend money(hey- I was in college and was broke)

So yes, I can tell you that being a big brother/sister was worth it and I feel the agency provided guidance and support.

I have spent most of my adult life working with emotionally disturbed, behavior disordered, abused kids, gang kids, etc.

So the time I spent with my 2 little brothers is a distant memory, as I have now worked with well over 1,000 kids.

I had long ago lost contact with my little brothers, as it is only a one year commitment and in the years after college I have moved between several cities.

Well, just last week, one of my little brothers sent me a friend request on Facebook. I accepted and called him at the number he left.

We had a great conversation, he was able to name like every outing we went on and was extremely thankful to me for my time and friendship at a time in his life when he badly needed it. It was one of the most powerful, meaningful conversations I have ever had with another human being. He ended the conversation by saying "I love you." I was a bit stunned, it felt a bit awkward, but it might give you an indication of the impact of spending a few hours, every other week for a year with a kid can mean.

I would tell your wife, take the leap, become a big sister, because these words are not just corny, they are true:

One hundred years from now, it will not matter

What kind of car I drove or what kind of clothes I wore.

All that will matter is that I made a difference

In the life of a child.

I was a Big Brother through Big Brothers/Big Sisters twice. Both were years I was in college.

It really isn't much of a time commitment and doesn't take much effort.

There are so many kids out there that are desperate for attention, role-models and guidance.

People often mistakingly think they have to wow their little big/brother big/sister with fancy activities(spending cash)

From personal experience -I can tell you my little brothers were just as happy to play catch, take the car to the hand car- wash, sledding, hang out with my college buddies, etc. than doing activities where I had to spend money(hey- I was in college and was broke)

So yes, I can tell you that being a big brother/sister was worth it and I feel the agency provided guidance and support.

I have spent most of my adult life working with emotionally disturbed, behavior disordered, abused kids, gang kids, etc.

So the time I spent with my 2 little brothers is a distant memory, as I have now worked with well over 1,000 kids.

I had long ago lost contact with my little brothers, as it is only a one year commitment and in the years after college I have moved between several cities.

Well, just last week, one of my little brothers sent me a friend request on Facebook. I accepted and called him at the number he left.

We had a great conversation, he was able to name like every outing we went on and was extremely thankful to me for my time and friendship at a time in his life when he badly needed it. It was one of the most powerful, meaningful conversations I have ever had with another human being. He ended the conversation by saying "I love you." I was a bit stunned, it felt a bit awkward, but it might give you an indication of the impact of spending a few hours, every other week for a year with a kid can mean.

I would tell your wife, take the leap, become a big sister, because these words are not just corny, they are true:

One hundred years from now, it will not matter

What kind of car I drove or what kind of clothes I wore.

All that will matter is that I made a difference

In the life of a child.

My nominee for Post of the Year Award. Great job ISNOCH.