Wood has successful surgery and Mckinney out for the year

ACor58

Can someone who actually knows what their talking about (not the wannabe trainers on the board) explain exactly what Wood had done?

Also, I honestly think Wood will be fine by next season, and McKinney, well, no offense to him but he's not going to be on this team for long anyhow. Wood will get some time off and a ton of painkillers, he'll get revered by his teammates, coaches, and the media, and he'll have plenty of time in the weight room not only for rehabilitation, but to keep his upper body strength up. That's a few months away, of course, but I'm really really skeptical of the people calling this a career-ender just because they saw what happened to Joe Theismann live on MNF years ago.

I think the fear of career ending has a lot to do with the fact that this is a Compound fracture. With the bones tearing through the skin like that there is the possibility of nerve/ligament/tendon damage in area in addition to the 2 completely snapped bones.

Additionally, His ability to do upper body strength work without being able to use his leg for leverage/support would be minimal.

No, I'm not a trainer, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm big enough to be OL, but too old at 47. Besides, I'd hate to read nasty things about me on this board daily: "what's BillsWest doing out there?", "does he really get paid for doing that", "how many times can you false start in one game", "another brilliant signing Russ", "I could play better than that"...........

Our o-line has been referred to as "patchwork" for weeks...well what is it now? :lol:

Threadbare? Props to the guys who gutted it out yesterday, including McKinney, who tried to keep playing.

That goes double for Kyle Williams. I'll be honest, I gave the Bills little chance yesterday, largely because I didn't expect him to play and I thought MJD would set all kinds of career rushing records with both him and Stroud out.

I'm 25, 6'2, 220.

I can almost bench my own body weight (haven't been on a steady lifting schedule for years) and can string together 3, may be 4 sub-8 minute miles.

I've never played organized football.

Right now I'm in Ithaca, NY, I can be in Buffalo by 4. Never fear, Bills fans, help is on the way.

Go Get Em Tiger!

Threadbare? Props to the guys who gutted it out yesterday, including McKinney, who tried to keep playing.

That goes double for Kyle Williams. I'll be honest, I gave the Bills little chance yesterday, largely because I didn't expect him to play and I thought MJD would set all kinds of career rushing records with both him and Stroud out.

I breathed a tremendous sigh of relief when I found out Williams was playing. After his performance yesterday (and all the games prior this year), he's cemented himself as my Defensive MVP for 2009.

I'm big enough to be OL, but too old at 47. Besides, I'd hate to read nasty things about me on this board daily: "what's BillsWest doing out there?", "does he really get paid for doing that", "how many times can you false start in one game", "another brilliant signing Russ", "I could play better than that"...........

:lol:

I'm 25, 6'2, 220.

I can almost bench my own body weight (haven't been on a steady lifting schedule for years) and can string together 3, may be 4 sub-8 minute miles.

I've never played organized football.

Right now I'm in Ithaca, NY, I can be in Buffalo by 4. Never fear, Bills fans, help is on the way.

They don't need any more DBs.

From an internet law practice site:

Of all the long bones of the body, the tibia is the one that most frequently will not unite the two broken ends with normal healing, in spite of the best treatment techniques. This often results in prolonged hospitalization. Dangerous conditions associated with tibial fractures include a missed torn artery, increased pressure in the tightly-restrictive compartments of the lower leg (compartment syndrome), and injury to the peroneal nerve, which leads to a foot drop, or inability to lift the toes of the foot, while walking. This creates a very abnormal slapping gait. The pressure syndrome can lead to the severe restriction of oxygen to muscles and nerves below the fracture, and eventually gangrene, or even amputation or death. Infections that get into the tibia, especially from open wounds over the fracture, can be extremely resistant to treatment. Motorcycle injuries can be particularly dirty ones, since the leg may be dragged under the motorcycle for some distance. Sometimes little fragments of fat in the soft tissues of the lower leg will get into the blood stream, causing occlusion of vessels. Fractures of the tibia are a virtual minefield of things that can go wrong. Casts that are applied may compromise circulation in the lower leg, and may compound the effects of the occasional compartment syndrome.

I'll ask Dr. Warren about it when I see him in January. He's the Jints team orthopod.

Not that a knee brace would've helped Wood but do any of the Bills O-line wear knee braces?

PTR

Given the way it happend - Wood was solidly planted and two guys (combined weight 500 lbs or so) fell squarely on his lower leg - does not seem to me that a knee brace would have done much.