Players for Picks for Players

The Big Cat

(Proceed with caution)

A new coach and GM in Buffalo means new personnel, EVERYWHERE. We need a new OL, DL, LB Corps, and quarterback (upwards of 13 new players). What does that mean? It means thiis team will be built from the ground up, AGAIN.

So, with that in mind, assuming we go through another two or three years before we've re-established the team nucleus, the maximum value of some of our better players now has less to do with how they perform during the re-building process, and everything to do with how they aid the re-building process along.

Trading Lynch, Evans, Edwards, Stroud, and Whitner (our five most valuable, but expendable players in a re-building era) could garner us as many as 10 additional draft picks.

Those 10 draft picks could then be traded for veteran stop-gaps at the positions we can't devote our higher draft picks to.

If we get a rookie quarterback, he should have a veteran mentor. If we draft for the lines (like we should), it does nothing to address our despicable LB corps.

10 additional draft picks could get us:

1.) a verteran quarterback for our youngster

2.) one or two veteran linebackers to stop the bleeding

3.) more draft picks to invest in the lines for years to come.

The question is, what's more valuable? The team's future identity, or the players who standout now on this fledgling roster of ours?

Flame away.

I disagree to some extent. There is talent on this team. Despite all the injuries and the craptastic coaching they're not getting blown out. Here's my recipie for getting to 10 wins assuming everyone comes back from injury.

1. Hire an actual coach who has a clue like Shanahan or Cowher

2. Pick up 4 free agents

3. Draft 2 players that can actually play and contribute

4. Install game plans that don't resemble that of the local pop warner team.

I disagree to some extent. There is talent on this team. Despite all the injuries and the craptastic coaching they're not getting blown out. Here's my recipie for getting to 10 wins assuming everyone comes back from injury.

1. Hire an actual coach who has a clue like Shanahan or Cowher

2. Pick up 4 free agents

3. Draft 2 players that can actually play and contribute

4. Install game plans that don't resemble that of the local pop warner team.

Okay, but in order to be competitive we need:

1. WLB
  2. SLB (I believe Poz would 10x the player he is now if he was flanked by competence)
  3. LT
  4. C
    And depending on Butler and Wood's respective recoveries and because we need the depth too:
  5. RT
  6. G
    Then there's the defensive line where we need to concern ourselves with:
  7. DT
  8. DE
    And last, but certainly not least:
  9. QB rookie
  10. QB veteran

#'s 3-10 are absolutely vital to developing a foundation for the future, and I just don't see all those things getting done in one off-season without casting off some of the "talent" we have now. Add in the likelihood that a new regime will clean house, and the OP seems like an okay option.

Well, here is one thing that I don't think that you are considering when stating the Bills will be rebuilding 'AGAIN'.

This Bills squad is one of the youngest in the league. They won't be having to scrap a bunch of established veterans. Most of the players on this squad have come up within the past 4 seasons.

Therefore, most are able to be built around.

Poz, Wood (I pray he returns to form), Bryd, Evans, Lynch, Jackson, Levitre, Williams, Maybin, McGee, McElvin, Whitner, Edwards, and Nelson are all young.

Schobel and Reed are getting older. Moorman and Lindell are aging, but their positions are not usually affected by age as the rest of the spots.

We need to see what Hardy and Johnson can do. Bell, Brohm, and Meredith are also intriguing prospects.

IF the Bills draft wisely on the offensive line (LT, RT), and on defense (DT, DE, LB), and pepper that with some solid 4th or 5th year players, this could be a team to be reckoned with sooner rather than later.

We just need to make sure that Modrak and Guy are not calling the shots.

Trading Lynch, Evans, Edwards, Stroud, and Whitner (our five most valuable, but expendable players in a re-building era) could garner us as many as 10 additional draft picks.

I think Lynch, Whitner and Stroud are more valuable on the roster than the low draft choices (4th round?) that you'd receive for them. Edwards' value is zero, and if he's not on the roster it's because he has been cut. In my opinion Evans is the most valuable player on the roster, but i'm not sure I want to trade him with Reed and Owens being free agents at the end of the year and therefore having to use the pick they received for Evans to replace him at WR.

One player I think could garner some value and make sense trading would be Schobel. You'd probably only get a 3rd or 4th in return, but this would open a spot for Maybin to get a chance to play next season or if a new coach switches to the 3-4 he would have no use anyway.

Well, here is one thing that I don't think that you are considering when stating the Bills will be rebuilding 'AGAIN'.

This Bills squad is one of the youngest in the league. They won't be having to scrap a bunch of established veterans. Most of the players on this squad have come up within the past 4 seasons.

Therefore, most are able to be built around.

Poz, Wood (I pray he returns to form), Bryd, Evans, Lynch, Jackson, Levitre, Williams, Maybin, McGee, McElvin, Whitner, Edwards, and Nelson are all young.

Schobel and Reed are getting older. Moorman and Lindell are aging, but their positions are not usually affected by age as the rest of the spots.

We need to see what Hardy and Johnson can do. Bell, Brohm, and Meredith are also intriguing prospects.

IF the Bills draft wisely on the offensive line (LT, RT), and on defense (DT, DE, LB), and pepper that with some solid 4th or 5th year players, this could be a team to be reckoned with sooner rather than later.

We just need to make sure that Modrak and Guy are not calling the shots.

I agree with you, so I'm going to list four LB and four DL just to account for both the 3-4 and 4-3 possibilities looming with a new regime and plug in your players to build around. I'm also going to include Poz, Butler, and Wood, hopeful that the latter two will recover from their injuries. I am, however, going to omit Edwards.

QB

RB Lynch

RB Jackson

WR Evans

WR

TE Nelson

LT

RT Butler

LG Levitre

RG Wood

C

LE Maybin

RE

DT Williams

DT

OLB

OLB

ILB Poz

ILB

CB McGee

CB McKelvin

FS Byrd

SS Whitner

K Lindel

P Moorman

That makes 9 starters needed.

Here's how I think we can reasonably fill in those gaps NEXT year:

QB rookie

RB Lynch

RB Jackson

WR Evans

WR ??

TE Nelson

LT rookie

RT Butler

LG Levitre

RG rookie

C Wood

LE Maybin

RE ??

DT Williams

DT ??

OLB FA

OLB FA

ILB Poz

ILB FA

CB McGee

CB McKelvin

FS Byrd

SS Whitner

K Lindel

P Moorman

That leaves WR, RE, DT not addressed. I leave open the possibiliy of one of our own guys filling in at WR, but it looks like if I were the GM, DT would have to be spared, yet again. As for RE, Chris Ellis? Kelsay? Looks like it'll have to wait too.

Kyle Williams and Marcus Stroud are absolute "must keeps" if we stick with a 4-3. If we move to a 3-4 I think both could be serviceable DE's but we'd need a monster nose tackle. Maybe Ralph could go after Wilfork and really break the bank :lol:

One other certainty, Schobel, Kelsay and Denney need to have their pay scales adjusted. Their performance is not commensurate with their pay at this point.

(Proceed with caution)

A new coach and GM in Buffalo means new personnel, EVERYWHERE. We need a new OL, DL, LB Corps, and quarterback (upwards of 13 new players). What does that mean? It means thiis team will be built from the ground up, AGAIN.

So, with that in mind, assuming we go through another two or three years before we've re-established the team nucleus, the maximum value of some of our better players now has less to do with how they perform during the re-building process, and everything to do with how they aid the re-building process along.

Those 10 draft picks could then be traded for veteran stop-gaps at the positions we can't devote our higher draft picks to.

If we get a rookie quarterback, he should have a veteran mentor. If we draft for the lines (like we should), it does nothing to address our despicable LB corps.

10 additional draft picks could get us:

1.) a verteran quarterback for our youngster

2.) one or two veteran linebackers to stop the bleeding

3.) more draft picks to invest in the lines for years to come.

The question is, what's more valuable? The team's future identity, or the players who standout now on this fledgling roster of ours?

Flame away.

I agree we need to trade away some good vets for more picks, but the players you selected to mention I dont understand. How can you include Evans and Stroud and not Schobel and Kelsay? Both are so overpaid it is killing our cap situation and handcuffing our DL. Evans is a great weapon and any rookie QB will need a vet target. Stroud is one of the games top DTs and there is no reason he shouldnt produce well into his 30s like Pat Williams. I can see the logic in Lynch and Whitner because Whitner is a solid starter but we have replaced him easily and RBs are a dime a dozen.

This team needs to part ways witht he over paid losers that are Kelsay and Schobel - Schobel could bring us a 3rd rounder, Kelsay should just be cut. If we go 3-4 both of them are without a position anyways.