Dante

So many cliched characters. From the divorced displaced dad saving his resentful son, and loving younger sister, too the moralistic, conflicted geo scientist that is fighting against the evil rich elite. The special effects and action scenes were outstanding! Really should get a Oscar for them. But as good and imaginative as those scenes were, the story line was the exact opposite. They substituted heavy handed one on one personal dramas for a real story and it brought the movie to a screeching halt. Poor, sappy acting made it even worse. It really is too bad because I'm sure there is was a good story in there some where. I'd give it 2 out of 5 stars. One for John Cusack( who was good as usual) and another for the special effects. Other than that, it was laughably bad at times. I groaned to myself several times at some of the hackneyed scenes. Even down to the ripped off Shelly Winters Posieden Adventure scene where she has to go under water to perform a risky underwater task to save the ship. Well, John Cusack redoes that exact scene.

So many cliched characters. From the divorced displaced dad saving his resentful son, and loving younger sister, too the moralistic, conflicted geo scientist that is fighting against the evil rich elite. The special effects and action scenes were outstanding! Really should get a Oscar for them. But as good and imaginative as those scenes were, the story line was the exact opposite. They substituted heavy handed one on one personal dramas for a real story and it brought the movie to a screeching halt. Poor, sappy acting made it even worse. It really is too bad because I'm sure there is was a good story in there some where. I'd give it 2 out of 5 stars. One for John Cusack( who was good as usual) and another for the special effects.

Good summary. At the end with yet one more peril to overcome or all (well 1/2 at most) would be lost, I hmmphed. My son (13) asked what was wrong. I replied , "Getting tired of these overly dramatic scenes". He said, "Well, it is for suspense". I replied, "I am suspensefulled <sic> out."

Great special effects, but way too long. Tell a story if you are going to make a movie that long IMO.

I was watching and trying to place scenes with other movies I've seen. For instance, the cruise ship turning over, Poseidon Adventure. The plane taking off at Yellowstone, Independence Day. The monk ringing the bell as the wave was coming at him, Deep Impact. There were a few more I can't recall now.

Oh, and since they showed it in every commercial and preview, when LA was being destroyed is when I headed for the bathroom. Figured I'd already seen it.

I've got a better question: why the hell is Roland Emmerich still making movies? Who the !@#$ is bankrolling this hack? His movies are legitimately sociopathic - sterile, shallow, superficial, devoid of any and all emotional content, replaces "feeling" with "spectacle".

I've got a better question: why the hell is Roland Emmerich still making movies? Who the !@#$ is bankrolling this hack? His movies are legitimately sociopathic - sterile, shallow, superficial, devoid of any and all emotional content, replaces "feeling" with "spectacle".

:unsure:

ahh ok I get it. I was curious and went too imdb and looked him up. Splains everything. Some of his gems include. 10000 BC(one of the worst movies Ive seen recently), The Day After Tommorow(South Park version was much better. And probably cost 1 millionth of the cash to make), Independence Day. He both produced and directed those. Thanks for the heads up on this guy!

ahh ok I get it. I was curious and went too imdb and looked him up. Splains everything. Some of his gems include. 10000 BC(one of the worst movies Ive seen recently), The Day After Tommorow(South Park version was much better. And probably cost 1 millionth of the cash to make), Independence Day. He both produced and directed those. Thanks for the heads up on this guy!

10,000 BC is the movie that convinced me that Emmerich not only shouldn't be allowed to make movies, he should be covered in honey and staked to an anthill. Egyptians using enslaved wooly mammoths and Rastafarians to construct the pyramids using ancient construction techniques from Atlantis? The best thing I could say about 10000 BC is that it makes other Roland Emmerich movies look good in comparison, which although being of dubious value is truly an accomplishment nonetheless.

10,000 BC is the movie that convinced me that Emmerich not only shouldn't be allowed to make movies, he should be covered in honey and staked to an anthill. Egyptians using enslaved wooly mammoths and Rastafarians to construct the pyramids using ancient construction techniques from Atlantis? The best thing I could say about 10000 BC is that it makes other Roland Emmerich movies look good in comparison, which although being of dubious value is truly an accomplishment nonetheless.

The sabertooth remembered his kindness and returned it!

It's all about the CGI

Watch an old Bogart movie if you want to see art.

Kinda want to see a complete movie you know? If I want to see cool cgi I can download some nice demos and watch them on my pc.

Kinda want to see a complete movie you know? If I want to see cool cgi I can download some nice demos and watch them on my pc.

Like Iron Man or The Dark Knight, which actually had good acting, a plot, thematic elements, AND effects.

Or - in it's time - Close Encounters of the Third Kind, which is a legitimate piece of artwork.