I was at Gander Mtn Sports earlier today.....

The Poojer

Out of curiosity I wonder what the ROI is for hunting vs. buying it from your local supermarket. I know plenty of people that make good salaries tell me they're just putting food on the table. Crock of Sh**. I don't begrudge the fact that people hunt. Just be up front about it. I.e I like the taste of deer...I like hunting....I like shooting things.

For the record, I'm not a vegetarian....I've worked in the food industry and have been in kill facilites...and there's a difference between hunting and marksmanship.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The morals regarding vegetarianism vs. omnivorism are very interesting. Here are some immutable facts...

1. Humans are instinctively hard-wired to seek sustenance from both plants and animals.

2. Humans are capable of saying "no" to their instincts, unlike pretty much every other animal.

3. Humans have the dietary knowledge and technology to survive without eating meat of any variety.

From a pragmatic standpoint, the debate should anticlimactically end right there. Do we want to eat meat? Yes. Can we be blamed for wanting to eat meat? No. Do we have to eat meat to survive? No.

But then morals get involved. Is it RIGHT to take a life that could have been spared, even if it's for a useful purpose? Who the hell knows?

Here's MY question...Why are some animals considered morally off limits for our diet? Why am I a weirdo if I eat a stray cat that I find outside? What if I WANT my tuna with a little smack of dolphin in it?

If a bald eagle drops dead on my front yard, is it right to eat it for dinner? These are the questions that keep me up at night.

The morals regarding vegetarianism vs. omnivorism are very interesting. Here are some immutable facts...

1. Humans are instinctively hard-wired to seek sustenance from both plants and animals.

2. Humans are capable of saying "no" to their instincts, unlike pretty much every other animal.

3. Humans have the dietary knowledge and technology to survive without eating meat of any variety.

From a pragmatic standpoint, the debate should anticlimactically end right there. Do we want to eat meat? Yes. Can we be blamed for wanting to eat meat? No. Do we have to eat meat to survive? No.

But then morals get involved. Is it RIGHT to take a life that could have been spared, even if it's for a useful purpose? Who the hell knows?

Here's MY question...Why are some animals considered morally off limits for our diet? Why am I a weirdo if I eat a stray cat that I find outside? What if I WANT my tuna with a little smack of dolphin in it?

If a bald eagle drops dead on my front yard, is it right to eat it for dinner? These are the questions that keep me up at night.

Sleep well. Carnivores taste like rotten meat.

Question - just curious not looking for an argument - are you Vegan?

Do you eat dairy products, wear leather, and do you research products to see if any animal product is a part of it (like Jelllo)? It is hard to do!

I do not hunt, and I enjoy meat but it is not part of every meal. I believe animals were put here to be used, just like in some areas, people are food to a polar bear.

I despise trophy hunters. I do not mind if a hunter mounts his trophies, but eat what you kill. I was talking to a guy yesterday, and he was not talking about killing defenseless animals, he was looking to fill his freezer.

I'm not a vegan.

Anyway, I regret having said anything about it. I have my reasons and I'm familiar with all the arguments. It was stupid of me to say anything at all about "manliness" as I know that has nothing to do with anything. I was really just trying to say to Poojer something like, yeah I’m with you. And he has promptly clarified that he's not really with me at all. :wallbash:

Most of my friends eat meat and I really don't care. For me, I like animals and have decided I don't want to eat them. And I happen to believe that cruelty to animals should be avoided when possible. Really that's the extent of it. I would never be a hunter myself, but I don’t care if other people want to do that, especially guys who go out and eat what they kill. I do believe it's possible to hunt in a way that is respectful of what nature provides for us. Not really a big deal. I didn't mean to come off all preachy.

i am with you.... :wallbash: , i respect anyone who chooses to be a vegetarian and really don't care why or if you wear leather or other animal products...everyone has their own reason for eating what they eat...i choose to eat animals, you choose not too....I went to a party over the summer that was a bring a plate to share. I knew there was a vegetarian, bordering on vegan, family attending...i purposely made a meatless dish...don't know too much about vegan, so i am not sure if what i made was within their limits....

I don't hunt, because i really am not a fan of guns, and don't think i could actually kill an animal...however I have gone fishing, but not the biggest fan of that either....i have tons of friends that are big time hunters and fishers and I love when they share their 'kills' with me

I'm not a vegan.

Anyway, I regret having said anything about it. I have my reasons and I'm familiar with all the arguments. It was stupid of me to say anything at all about "manliness" as I know that has nothing to do with anything. I was really just trying to say to Poojer something like, yeah I’m with you. And he has promptly clarified that he's not really with me at all. :wallbash:

Most of my friends eat meat and I really don't care. For me, I like animals and have decided I don't want to eat them. And I happen to believe that cruelty to animals should be avoided when possible. Really that's the extent of it. I would never be a hunter myself, but I don’t care if other people want to do that, especially guys who go out and eat what they kill. I do believe it's possible to hunt in a way that is respectful of what nature provides for us. Not really a big deal. I didn't mean to come off all preachy.

I'm not a vegan.

Anyway, I regret having said anything about it. I have my reasons and I'm familiar with all the arguments. It was stupid of me to say anything at all about "manliness" as I know that has nothing to do with anything. I was really just trying to say to Poojer something like, yeah I’m with you. And he has promptly clarified that he's not really with me at all. :rolleyes:

I can respect the decision not to eat meat (or any other food for that matter). It was the "manliness" thing that prompted my response. I would certainly never try to pressure someone into hunting their own food and it sounds like you have a similair outlook on vegetarianism.

I will say though, if one chooses to eat meat, you will have a whole new appreciation for the meal once you have harvested an animal and butchered it yourself. I know this is not for everyone, but many hunters have a respect and admiration for the animals they hunt that you don't get from picking out a steak at Wegmans. I can assure you that the deer I have killed have been taken in the most humane way possible. I would never take a risky or difficult shot and most hunters that I know feel the same way.

Just went to the one in JAX, FLA... I needed new shoes and they had a good deal on the Merrill's I like... I bought one pair of the Merrill "Chameleon" and another pair was 50% off... So I came back home with both colors... I sound like a woman, don't I... :thumbsup::rolleyes:

The guys from New York I was with were all taking in the nice selection of firearms... <_<

I can respect the decision not to eat meat (or any other food for that matter). It was the "manliness" thing that prompted my response. I would certainly never try to pressure someone into hunting their own food and it sounds like you have a similair outlook on vegetarianism.

I will say though, if one chooses to eat meat, you will have a whole new appreciation for the meal once you have harvested an animal and butchered it yourself. I know this is not for everyone, but many hunters have a respect and admiration for the animals they hunt that you don't get from picking out a steak at Wegmans. I can assure you that the deer I have killed have been taken in the most humane way possible. I would never take a risky or difficult shot and most hunters that I know feel the same way.

My youngest sister took up hunting shortly after she married my BIL. She's a sure shot - IIRC, she's cleanly bagged 4 or5 deer so far. Both know how to field dress, and haul out - that can be quite a bit of work.

Late '80's, she wounded an animal - missed and took a 2nd shot at a spooked animal - which he and she never did before, and she and her husband tracked the blood trail in the snow for over an hour. Alas, they were unsuccessful in finding the animal and putting it down. They weren't searching for the game, they were searching for it to atone for the botched shot, and do the right thing. You get the distinction, I am sure.

She had a heavy heart, and didn't return to the field for several years.

They hunted with 20 ga. automatics - not for multiple shots, but for the recoil reduction afforded by such a cartridge/action combination. They've since switched to those inexpensive single-shot 12-gauge arms, adding the recoil padding et al.

They hunted with 20 ga. automatics - not for multiple shots, but for the recoil reduction afforded by such a cartridge/action combination. They've since switched to those inexpensive single-shot 12-gauge arms, adding the recoil padding et al.

That was my argument a while back when you took umbrage with me calling those weapons a "lady gun"... That is what my grandfather use to describe that gauge. Of course not in a negative or mocking way... It is just that the 20 was easier to handle, especially by say a younger teen or a smaller lady. Not to take anything away from a very fine class of weapon.

Hope that clarifies that long past disagreement we had. :rolleyes:

The true sign of an ethical hunter is one that won't take a marginal shot which might cause undue suffering to your quarry.... :rolleyes:

That was my argument a while back when you took umbrage with me calling those weapons a "lady gun"... That is what my grandfather use to describe that gauge. Of course not in a negative or mocking way... It is just that the 20 was easier to handle, especially by say a younger teen or a smaller lady. Not to take anything away from a very fine class of weapon.

Hope that clarifies that long past disagreement we had. :thumbsup:

When did I do that? :rolleyes:

Please provide the context...cite the thread and the post...what umbrage...?

Now, I might have done what you say; we shall see - but don't drop insinuating bombs that gives other posters less than full disclosure.

Your turn... <_<

When did I do that? :rolleyes:

Please provide the context...cite the thread and the post...what umbrage...?

Now, I might have done what you say; we shall see - but don't drop insinuating bombs that gives other posters less than full disclosure.

Your turn... :thumbsup:

Forget about it, it was a long time ago... I thought you would remember.

Sorry.

I did not think you were preaching. I agree cruelty to animals is morally wrong and it could be argued that hunting is more humane than commercial meat production.

I was wondering if you choose not to eat animals but wear leather (shoes, belt, etc). I never understood that.

I am also not a hunter, only because it never interested me.

Just making conversation.... :lol:

I'm not a vegan.

Anyway, I regret having said anything about it. I have my reasons and I'm familiar with all the arguments. It was stupid of me to say anything at all about "manliness" as I know that has nothing to do with anything. I was really just trying to say to Poojer something like, yeah I’m with you. And he has promptly clarified that he's not really with me at all. :lol: