Shanahan = DJ?

tennesseeboy

I hate to throw cold water but when DJ was hired I was concerned that he wasn't a winner, and that winning should show up on the resume of the person who came in as head coach. Now Shanahan had some great years (the Elway years) but the last three years at Denver were an average of 8-8 and miss the playoffs...and he was fired.

Now unless something has happened in the interim we are looking to bring in another guy with a recent history of mediocrity hoping he will turn a mediocre or worse team into something good. I say unless someone has the next Elway up his sleeve, we had better look elsewhere.

It's worth noting that Dungy had Manning, Holgren had favre and Shanny had Elway. Gruden, Billick and Cowher had lesser QBs but awesome defenses. So how much of their success is their coaching and how much is their personnel?

Or a video camera? :(

He was 22 games over .500 without Elway (91-69). Cutler was the QB those last 3 years, so he was developing a new QB.

Oh..he had some good years, but the fact is that his recent history wasn't all that impressive. People generally get fired for a reason, and I suspect the Broncos figured MS's best days were behind him. I just can't get excited about a guy with the record he had in his last three years as a coach on board. I felt that way when we hired DJ and I particularly feel that way now after DJ.

Cowher finished 8-8 and Holmgren 4-12. Billick ended with a 5-11 season. If you refuse to hire a coach who ever had a down year, you're going to be hiring coordinators.

Who statisticaly have a better SB winning record than repeat coaches. But you have to pick the right coordinator.

PTR

It's worth noting that Dungy had Manning, Holgren had favre and Shanny had Elway. Gruden, Billick and Cowher had lesser QBs but awesome defenses. So how much of their success is their coaching and how much is their personnel?

PTR

Which came first, the chicken or the egg?

To answer your question, IMHO, both are needed.

However, a good coach should be able to reproduce (or at least come close to reproducing) the same results with different (good) personnel.

Other than Billick, the rest of those coaches did.

Dungy had TB and Indy.

Gruden had Oakland and TB

Holgren had GB and Seattle (took Seattle to the SB with Hasselback)

Shanny had Denver (first Elway, than used Plummer to reach the AFC Conf Champ)

Cowher reached the SB twice with essentially 2 different Steelers teams

He won 2 Superbowl's plus went to the AFC Championship game. Also, when it came to the Broncos playing the Pats in the playoffs, the Broncos had the better record. I'd take that anyday over what we had this decade.

I'd take almost anyone over what we've had this decade. I just don't see Shanahan putting this team into contention. Didn't see Jauron doing it either.

2 Super Bowls. 2 Super Bowl wins. .615 in the playoffs. Finished 1st or 2nd in division 11 years. 7 years with 10+ wins. Winning percentage of .598. 48 games over .500. Finished 8-8 in last 16 games. (Oh, he coached Elway 4 seasons and the Broncos 14.)

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/coaches/ShanMi0.htm

0 Super Bowls. 0 Super Bowl wins. .000 in the playoffs. Finished 1st or 2nd in division 2 years. 1 year with 10+ wins. Winning percentage of .423. 22 games under .500. Finished 4-12 in last 16 games.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/coaches/JaurDi0.htm

Hard to tell those results apart. :blink:

PTR

If you are implying that the only difference between those guys and Dick Jauron is some better personnel, you really need to go back to the drawing board.