Read A Bill On The Senate Floor

/dev/null

Read A Bill On The Senate Floor  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Read A Bill On The Senate Floor

• Good Idea
    • Bad Idea

The Republicans are not serious about health insurance reform, which is what this really is. If they were, they would have taken action when they had the White House and the Congress. What they offer now are some last minute plans so they can say they have something to cover their arses. They have no credibility on offering reform, because they never do it when they are in the majority.

Both parties debated the topic before the last election, but I will give Democrats credit for moving the issue out into the open. Doesn't sound to me like you've heard or read about the Republican proposed alternatives. Also doesn't sound to me like you looked closely at the issue and what the Dems are proposing. There are some alarming components of the thing that would concern anyone. Cost, taxation, limiting choices, cutting benefits, creation of 110 new government agencies, adding substantially to the deficit, who benefits and who doesn't. Hard to believe that any American would not be troubled by what has been proposed unless you stand to gain from it and don't care what that costs, who pays and who makes the choices.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Republicans are not serious about health insurance reform, which is what this really is. If they were, they would have taken action when they had the White House and the Congress. What they offer now are some last minute plans so they can say they have something to cover their arses. They have no credibility on offering reform, because they never do it when they are in the majority.

Well, at least you got SOMETHING right for once...

Obama's Presidency will be historical in about 3 years if he continues the assault.

We need conservatives to put up as big a battle as they can in the next year and hope that the 2010 elections get us close or a majority in the House. We then can effectively block any nutcase legislation that will be put forward until 1012 Even scarier is we need to pick up enough Senate seats to block the appointment of liberal federal judges.

If I recall, haven't the Republicans been proposing tort reform and portability for some time now? Two things that would actually reduce costs and not raise taxes.

Which doesn't invalidate PJ's point - the Republicans didn't do anything when they could (they "proposed" doing something, sure...lot of good that did, hmm?), and now that they can't are scrambling not to provide an alternative but to try to remain relevant to the debate.

Which doesn't invalidate PJ's point - the Republicans didn't do anything when they could (they "proposed" doing something, sure...lot of good that did, hmm?), and now that they can't are scrambling not to provide an alternative but to try to remain relevant to the debate.

That is absolutely the case, which is part of the reason why out of all voters that are listed as independents, over half of them are closet republicans.

My guess is that by the time Nov. 2010 comes around, some of those voters will be coming out of the closet.

• 4 weeks later...

It has begun.

my favorite part

Before forcing the reading, Coburn asked to certify that every senator has read and understands the bill. But Sen. Max Baucus (D-Mont.) said it would be impossible for the Senate to certify that all its members understand the bill.

And they wonder why everyone thinks they are doing such a great job :thumbsup: