Rooney Rule

Some cuts and pastes from Wikipedia, if you put any faith in that source:

"The Rooney Rule, established in 2003,[1] requires National Football League teams to interview minority candidates for head coaching and senior football operations opportunities.

As of June 15, 2009, Rooney Rule requirements now apply to all searches for senior football operations positions within the NFL, regardless of a team's title for that position.[8]"

So it appears that the Bills can't "just go after" Shanahan or anyone else without doing additional interviews, unless they are willing to absorb a fine. Ralph will most definitely conduct the obligatory minority interview so as not to throw away money needlessly.

Did you not realize that our Interim HC is black? Yeah. He'll be interviewed. I don't know why people are making such a big deal, Ralph said he's not signing a coach until AFTER the season. Calm down, relax, wait, we'll get our guy. Stop making up obstacles. The Rooney rule isn't going to affect a thing.

The rooney rule is stupid. I understand why it is there and i see so many minority coaches interviewed for positions just so a club doesn't get fined. I would think that is more insulting than not getting interviewed at all.

Some cuts and pastes from Wikipedia, if you put any faith in that source:

"The Rooney Rule, established in 2003,[1] requires National Football League teams to interview minority candidates for head coaching and senior football operations opportunities.

As of June 15, 2009, Rooney Rule requirements now apply to all searches for senior football operations positions within the NFL, regardless of a team's title for that position.[8]"

So it appears that the Bills can't "just go after" Shanahan or anyone else without doing additional interviews, unless they are willing to absorb a fine. Ralph will most definitely conduct the obligatory minority interview so as not to throw away money needlessly.

I agree with Murra. Besides rather than create a firestorm over 'race', Wilson could very easily interview Tony Dungy, who matches the acceptable criteria, yet would most certainly not accept a position with the Bills if offered. Thus, the Rooney rule would have been met. I don't see where such obstacles will impact the timing of any announcement from OBD.

Personally, I don't care who gets the Front Office Job or coaching positions, as long as we Friggin win.. If Bin Laden could get us a super bowl, I'll take it. When does OJ get out??? I AM SICK AND TIRED OF LOSING!!!!!! I just don't care about the color of the person.

I don't really care about the Rooney Rule. Nobody has any objection to it besides the fans, because it really doesn't have much of an effect. It generally makes the owners look good, the number of black coaches has leaped up since it was instituted, and it costs about as much as a few plane tickets each year. At this point, I think that most vacancies would involve the interview of a black candidate anyway, so at the HC level, I don't think it has much of impact. Or else it fulfilled its mission

I have no idea what the numbers look like in front office positions.

Did you not realize that our Interim HC is black? Yeah. He'll be interviewed. I don't know why people are making such a big deal, Ralph said he's not signing a coach until AFTER the season. Calm down, relax, wait, we'll get our guy. Stop making up obstacles. The Rooney rule isn't going to affect a thing.

Calm down? What part of my post were you reacting to?

That fact that we're at the point already where people are looking up the specifics of the Rooney rule. I think people should not worry about something so petty.

I still don't get your annoyance. Yes, we are at that point where the rule is relevant - we just fired our coach, plan to hire another one, and it applies. Not sure why you think it's "petty" - it just applies. It is what it is.

The main reason I posted this is, I was curious to know if that rule applies to front office jobs as well as coaching vacancies, and yes, it appears to. I thought others might have the same question.

I would point out that the original poster's query could also refer to the vacancy at General Manager that very well could be available, if Russ kicks himself upstairs as many believe he will.

Interviewing Perry Fewell does not exempt the Bills from interviewing minority candidates for General Manager or Senior Football Consultant, or any other front office position the Bills create.

All this said, it is a minor obstacle. As I and many others have already posted (in the multitude of redundant threads), people like James Harris, Bobby Grier, etc could be interviewed.

The success of Mike Tomlin, Ozzie Newsome and Jerry Reese all point to the Rooney rule being a great idea and not just some BS cursory requirement to fulfill. If it applies to you.....Get out of the :w00t: 1950's.

Have a nice day

Oh, no. Did someone's sensibilities get hurt?

Not at all, it's all about getting the best possible candidate and looking "everywhere" to make sure that you do. That's how you get ultimate success. Sensibilities has nothing to do with it my friend.

I'm all for finding the most talented people without undergoing a farcical interview process that relegates some people to token status.

I'm all for finding the most talented people without undergoing a farcical interview process that relegates some people to token status.

We can agree on that. That's why the rule shouldn't be approached with the idea of just meeting the requirement with no real chance of hiring the interview candidate.

Oh really?!? How do you think the Steelers hired Tomlin?

The Steelers had satisfied the Rooney Rule before they interviewed Tomlin. But something happened between the rule's adoption and the present that led to a big upswing in the number of black coaches in the league. It could be a coincidence, of course, but there did seem to be a run of successful black coaching hires after the Rooney Rule went into effect.

The NFL ownership ranks include a large number of crusty old men from a different era who really may have needed the nudge to start thinking about black coaches, not even necessarily because of specific racism but just because it didn't fit their preconceived idea of a coach.

The Steelers had satisfied the Rooney Rule before they interviewed Tomlin. But something happened between the rule's adoption and the present that led to a big upswing in the number of black coaches in the league. It could be a coincidence, of course, but there did seem to be a run of successful black coaching hires after the Rooney Rule went into effect.

The NFL ownership ranks include a large number of crusty old men from a different era who really may have needed the nudge to start thinking about black coaches, not even necessarily because of specific racism but just because it didn't fit their preconceived idea of a coach.

You're right, they had already interviewed Ron Rivera. Good points on the increase of minority coaches, not just a coincidence I'm sure.