Mr. Wilson speaks

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Before you start reading sinister intentions, consider this: If Wilson wants Shanahan, he is going to have to act quickly. If he hires Shanny, he's not going to get a high-profile GM because any GM worth his salt wants to hire his own people. So if we get a Cowher, Shanny, or Holmgren, they will get full control of football ops, making a football GM moot.

Is this a good idea? The odds say no. There has never been a coach who is also GM that has won a Super Bowl. Further there has never been a Super Bowl-winning coach who has won it again with a new team. But Bills Nation wants a marquee name. Everyone is convinced a big name will win us the big one. I think we will be very disappointed.

PTR

Baby steps, PTR. The organization is one step away from being the Detroit Lions. Lets get Shanahan in here to draft a QB with our top 10 pick. Shanahan knows more about QBs than any coach we have ever had and I trust him to make the right pick. Lets build a contender team with Shanahan. If he ultimately is not the guy to take us over the top, we'll find someone else. He would, however, restore respectability to the organization and provide some direction. Not to mention the guy is a fair counterpart scheming against Belicheat.

But the timing is the part that doesn't make sense to me.

We know that the scouting dept was decimated, so why not take steps as soon as possible to at least beef that up now? If you start on Jan 3, and the process takes 1 month, then you lose valuable evaluation time. Shoot, I know Dwight Adams would love to do some field work for the Bills to get the ball rolling.

Except the Bills can't talk to anyone working for a team until the season is over. Only the unemployed. Really limits who you can hire.

PTR

Baby steps, PTR. The organization is one step away from being the Detroit Lions. Lets get Shanahan in here to draft a QB with our top 10 pick. Shanahan knows more about QBs than any coach we have ever had and I trust him to make the right pick. Lets build a contender team with Shanahan. If he ultimately is not the guy to take us over the top, we'll find someone else. He would, however, restore respectability to the organization and provide some direction. Not to mention the guy is a fair counterpart scheming against Belicheat.

I don't think anyone sees Shanny as a stepping stone to the next guy. Wilson is busting open his piggy bank because he wants to win it now. When I sat in RWS watching Ralph declare he would bring a SB title to Buffalo, who knew he was seriously gonna try?

I will not pretend to know what move is best for the Bills. But I will say that no matter who we hire they need to be burning with the desire to win, not coasting to retirement.

PTR

Everyone is convinced a big name will win us the big one. I think we will be very disappointed.

Agree. A big name alone is not the answer. It might be the answer, but it is not a given. All successful proven coaches were at one point in their young careers unproven and unknown. Just because Bills FO blew it on last several non-big name coaches does NOT mean that the next non-big name coach to come along won't be the next Belichick. You just don't know. Nobody knows for sure. You have to conduct an extremely thorough search and talk to as many candidates as possible -- both big names and not-so-big names and then choose.

From the updated article:

Wilson discounted reports that the team is interested in interviewing Mike Shanahan, the former Denver Broncos coach.

"I don't know anything about him," he said, adding the team will be releasing a statement later in the day to address the speculation.

Well so ends that pipe dream. Hello Kevin Gilbride.

I don't think anyone sees Shanny as a stepping stone to the next guy. Wilson is busting open his piggy bank because he wants to win it now. When I sat in RWS watching Ralph declare he would bring a SB title to Buffalo, who knew he was seriously gonna try?

I will not pretend to know what move is best for the Bills. But I will say that no matter who we hire they need to be burning with the desire to win, not coasting to retirement.

PTR

Agreed, 100%. However, I think there's some fire with Shanahan. Nobody expected him to be fired in Denver (certainly including himself) and he openly said he was going to coach again someday. Both of these factors make me think that he's been itching like mad for an opportunity to come along and ready to prove to Pat Bowlen that he didn't deserve to be fired.

Both Cowher & Holmgren retired on their own accord. That says to me there was either some mild case of burn-out or they were ready to live a life other than being a coach. Either way, I see less fire in those two than I do in Shanahan. Cowher has never officially said that he'll come back and coach, so it would seem to take a lucrative offer for him to do so. Holmgren has hinted at it, but never come out and said so. I'd think a lucrative offer might be required for him to coach/GM, also.

Based on the need for "fire", I think Shanahan is probably the best choice to start with. Not that there wouldn't be fire if a coordinator was hired, but Shanahan certainly has the experience. Ralph & company seem to be requiring that, as well.

Agree. A big name alone is not the answer. It might be the answer, but it is not a given. All successful proven coaches were at one point in their young careers unproven and unknown. Just because Bills FO blew it on last several non-big name coaches does NOT mean that the next non-big name coach to come along won't be the next Belichick. You just don't know. Nobody knows for sure. You have to conduct an extremely thorough search and talk to as many candidates as possible -- both big names and not-so-big names and then choose.

To play Devil's Advocate, hiring a name coach brings attention. A name coach has a track record and contacts with players and other experienced coaches. A name coach should be able to offer credibility to a moribund franchise not just to the "almighty ticket buyers," but to people that actually matter to have success on the field on Sundays -- coordinators, position coaches, scouts, and veteran players -- which are all personnel the Bills lack. Instead of just another change for change's sake, it is a public statement that Mr. Wilson is serious and committing to try and bring in a winner.

To play Devil's Advocate, hiring a name coach brings attention. A name coach has a track record and contacts with players and other experienced coaches. A name coach should be able to offer credibility to a moribund franchise not just to the "almighty ticket buyers," but to people that actually matter to have success on the field on Sundays -- coordinators, position coaches, scouts, and veteran players -- which are all personnel the Bills lack.

T.O. was supposed to do all that too. :thumbsup: I agree that having a name coach will help attract FA's. Right now no one wants to play here. Just remember fans are fickle and impatient. The second Shanny blows off Sully for an interview he'll be pilloried in the Buffalo News.

PTR

Wilson discounted reports that the team is interested in interviewing Mike Shanahan, the former Denver Broncos coach.

"I don't know anything about him," he said, adding the team will be releasing a statement later in the day to address the speculation.

I knew this was too good to be true, these are of course our Buffalo Bills.

time to bring in another retread or maybe someone else's brilliant coordinator to mash up this team some more.

Well those are the only two choices (aside from 'neither' which is what we've been doing). None of the big coaches are going to accept any job without say in personnel.

None of the big coaches has proven successful when trying both.

See: Pig Faced Satan/Miami

Shannahan/Denver post SB (when he got the power)

Holmgren/Seattle

Are they a step up from what we've had? Yes.

Can one person do both jobs and achieve the ultimate aim? History says no.

T.O. was supposed to do all that too. :doh: I agree that having a name coach will help attract FA's. Right now no one wants to play here. Just remember fans are fickle and impatient. The second Shanny blows off Sully for an interview he'll be pilloried in the Buffalo News.

Sounds like business as usual is in store though. "I don't know him." "We'll wait to the end of the season and re-evaluate."

On second thought, I think you may be sadly correct. Just another T.O. move; a token sacrifice to break up the mob.

[Edit] As far as T.O. bringing in good coordinators and improving the front office and bringing in other veteran players, you're barking up the wrong tree. T.O. brought attention and sold tickets. Otherwise, he did absolutely none of and was positively not expected to do any of the other more important things that I typed.

I knew this was too good to be true, these are of course our Buffalo Bills.

time to bring in another retread or maybe someone else's brilliant coordinator to mash up this team some more.

Right :doh: It can't be that Ralph doesn't want the Shanahan negotiations to be done in public.

PTR

I bet you also believe everything a politician says. When Knox was hired in '78, his name was not mentioned until he signed with the Bills. You really think Ralph doesn't know anything about Shanahan?

Right :doh: It can't be that Ralph doesn't want the Shanahan negotiations to be done in public.

PTR

Agreed...

If Schefter said there was contact with Shanahan...There was contact with Shanahan...There is a relationship there that goes WAY back...He's (Schefter) not going to lie or speculate where Shanahan is concerned...He does not have to... :lol: