Cart before the horse

Amstel

I'm a little confused here. Wasn't it mentioned earlier that they were cleaning house and wanted to bring in a strong football guy to run things? How the hell can you zero in on HC candidates before hiring a GM? Isn't that what Lerner did in Cleveland? And I can't believe I'm hearing the name Gilbride. That guys a jackass. Didn't Buddy Ryan punch him on the sidelines in Houston? Wasn't it rumored that Ruben Brown almost came to blows with him in a meeting preceding the end of Browns career with the Bills.....

I'm a little confused here. Wasn't it mentioned earlier that they were cleaning house and wanted to bring in a strong football guy to run things? How the hell can you zero in on HC candidates before hiring a GM? Isn't that what Lerner did in Cleveland? And I can't believe I'm hearing the name Gilbride. That guys a jackass. Didn't Buddy Ryan punch him on the sidelines in Houston? Wasn't it rumored that Ruben Brown almost came to blows with him in a meeting preceding the end of Browns career with the Bills.....

IMO they would be hiring Shannahan to oversee all football operations. Including not only head coaching duties but personnel decisions in conjunction with our boy Russ.

That is at least my guess...

I think it depends on who the head coaching candidate is. If your plan is to hire someone else's coordinator as a head coach or to go for a 2nd tier retread, yeah, I think its probably a wise idea to have the GM in place and involved in that decision.

A proven, elite head coach is another matter, and I can't think of many GMs who would object to having someone of the caliber of Shanahan or Cowher as the head coach of their team. If they go that route, I don't think it matters all that much if they hire the coach first, as long as they make sure both guys have the same general philosophy towards building the team.

You couldn't possibly be more wrong about that.(the Ruben Brown "point")

I must have been watching someone else during the second half of his career as a Bill..

Can you elaborate? Because honestly, I didn't think he was very good at all- hardly deserving of a pro-bowl selection...

Shanahan has held the VP of Football Operations title before. No one from the Bills has said they are trying to meet with him about ONLY head coaching duties. So, it could turn out that he IS the strong football guy, and you shouldnt be confused anymore.

also, im convinced the only reason Ruben Brown made all of those pro-bowls was because the D-lineman around the league were voting for him so he would keep his starting spot and they could face him every week.

Shanahan has held the VP of Football Operations title before. No one from the Bills has said they are trying to meet with him about ONLY head coaching duties. So, it could turn out that he IS the strong football guy, and you shouldnt be confused anymore.

also, im convinced the only reason Ruben Brown made all of those pro-bowls was because the D-lineman around the league were voting for him so he would keep his starting spot and they could face him every week.

the only problem with Shanahan as the GM is that he sucks at it.

he is horrible at talent evaluation - and typically had bad drafts and even worse free agent signings

he can coach - but he is worse than Marv as a GM

the only problem with Shanahan as the GM is that he sucks at it.

he is horrible at talent evaluation - and typically had bad drafts and even worse free agent signings

he can coach - but he is worse than Marv as a GM

i like your style. start the hatin early so we already have momentum when we run him out of town.

I must have been watching someone else during the second half of his career as a Bill..

Can you elaborate? Because honestly, I didn't think he was very good at all- hardly deserving of a pro-bowl selection...

Yes I can elaborate..

He did what good guards do.

He was a dominant run blocker who consistently got to the second level, was pretty athletic, played with great leverage, almost never got pushed off balance, was strong, and had passion for the game.

The D-linemen who played against him agreed with this as witnessed by their votes and various commentaries throughout the years.

He was solid as a pass protector as well who had to make up for severe deficiencies at tackle and center during his latter years.

I'm guessing most people that feel he wasn't so good base it solely on him having a season or two where he had a few too many false starts for their liking.

He wasn't the best ever but was certainly among the top 4 Guards in the AFC for most of his career w/ Buffalo.

Yes I can elaborate..

He was a dominant run blocker who consistently got to the second level, was pretty athletic, played with great leverage, almost never got pushed off balance, was strong, and had passion for the game.

The D-linemen who played against him agreed with this as witnessed by their votes and various commentaries throughout the years.

He was solid as a pass protector as well who had to make up for severe deficiencies at tackle and center during his latter years.

I'm guessing most people that feel he wasn't so good base it solely on him having a season or two where he had a few too many false starts for their liking.

He wasn't the best ever but was certainly among the top 4 Guards in the AFC for most of his career w/ Buffalo.

Bingo

Yes I can elaborate..

Reuben said he asked Gregg Williams to replace the inexperienced OL Coach. Turns out he was a GOOD FRIEND of Greggs, & that was Reubens ticket out of Buffalo.