Why is Russ Brandon a marketing wiz?

NY Nole

Disclosure: I went to the same school as our GM and have the same degree....

That said, what did Brandon do to get a reputation as a marketing genius?

1. He moved training camp from Fredonia, NY (population 10,706, 19% of population below poverty line and a healthy drive from Buffalo) to Pittsford, NY (population 27,219, $106,000 median family income and closer to 2 sizeable metro areas)?

2. Signed TO to a one-year contract that was a no-lose situation for the Bills?

3. Installed electronic ribbons around the stadium (to divert your attention from the rest of one of the NFL's oldest stadiums) and installed a new jumbo tron that was paid for by the taxpayers of NY (and half of it is still taken up by ads)?

4. Created a 50th anniversary patch using his laptop's paint program and affixed it to those same god-awful uni's?

I really don't know why this "marketing wiz" label stuck. Seems to me you could bring in a trained monkey and achieve similar results.

I'm not bitter, just sayin. Bills fans are a loyal breed. They are not buying tickets because of "marketing gimmicks" by the Bills Front Office. They are buying tickets because football is king in Western NY and at $50/gm it's still the best ticket in town.

1. He moved training camp from Fredonia, NY (population 10,706, 19% of population below poverty line and a healthy drive from Buffalo) to Pittsford, NY (population 27,219, $106,000 median family income and closer to 2 sizeable metro areas)?

3. Installed electronic ribbons around the stadium (to divert your attention from the rest of one of the NFL's oldest stadiums) and installed a new jumbo tron that was paid for by the taxpayers of NY (and half of it is still taken up by ads)?

4. Created a 50th anniversary patch using his laptop's paint program and affixed it to those same god-awful uni's?

I really don't know why this "marketing wiz" label stuck. Seems to me you could bring in a trained monkey and achieve similar results.

I'm not bitter, just sayin. Bills fans are a loyal breed. They are not buying tickets because of "marketing gimmicks" by the Bills Front Office. They are buying tickets because football is king in Western NY and at $50/gm it's still the best ticket in town.

He sells out the stadium every year with a terrible product.

That is why.

And I think I can see why you do not fit the same catagory of marketing whiz.

The first 2 are pretty big and have created A LOT of money. The fourth has created quite a bit of money too, mostly due to the new white AFL jerseys.

But this says it all...

From the Wings, Brandon went to work for the New York Yankees in a division called the Sports Advertising Network. While he liked the experience, he didn't enjoy the fact that he was away from the competition on the field.

After a year there, Brandon went down to work with the Florida Marlins, first at the spring training facility and then as the Director of Corporate Sales in Miami two years later.

While Brandon was in south Florida, the Marlins won the World Series over the Cleveland Indians on Oct. 26, 1997. Six days later, on Nov. 1, Brandon was sitting in his new office in Buffalo as the Bills' new Executive Director of Business Development and Marketing. Just 13 months later, Brandon was promoted to the Vice President position in the same department.

http://media.www.cardinalcourieronline.com...n-3488737.shtml

I agree with your assessment somewhat, BUT Russ clearly has made Ralph happy and has made the obvious moves in the marketing department (Signing TO, moving the camp, ect) and with this organization sometimes the guys who just make the obvious moves look like geniuses by comparison (Sometimes like the only decent looking girl in a group of ugly girls looks more attractive but when you take a look at her individually she is just OK)

You obviously don't remember it, but there were a few years there where we had a terrible time selling tickets. Many credited Flutie with saving the franchise because so few tickets were sold, but when Flutie left, we just sold more and more without him.

Without the product on the field being improved, Russ set up an aggressive new marketing unit, built some luxury boxes and made some special seating areas with greatly raised prices, and quickly started selling the place out.

The guy is terrific at marketing.

No, of course you are not bitter.

If I'm not mistaken, Brandon is credited with successfully regionalizing the franchise (yes, the move to Pittsford was a part of this) and is most likely the primary force behind the Toronto deal. When you can deliver healthy new sources of revenue to your boss, you are generally in good shape, employment wise.