Why the fixation with hiring a big-name coach?

PromoTheRobot

Saints - Sean Peyton

Steelers - Mike Tomlin

Colts - Mike Caldwell

Broncos - Josh McDaniels

49ers - Mike Singletary

Dolphins - Tony Sparano

Vikings - Brad Childress

I could go on, but I think you get my point. Did anyone hear of these guys before they were hired? (Mike Singletary the exception) If hiring the "name" was a guarantee of success, why are these name coaches still available?

Instead of hiring a "name" we should hire a competent GM/Ops guy who knows what to look for in a coach whether they have a name or not. I worry that hiring a head coach on name recognition alone will backfire on us.

PTR

Gee, I don't know, maybe it's because we had:

2001-2003: Gregg Williams, 17-31

2004-2005: Mike Mularkey, 14-18

2006-2009: Dick Jauron, 24-33

So, that's a combined 55-85 record, a .392 winning percentage, with guys that were coordinators or in Jauron's case, a terrible HC to begin with. So, maybe it's time to turn the page on a "hot" coordinator and go with a proven winner.

I dispute your 90% stat. If it is such a sure bet those guys would be coaching somewhere now...and winning. Also consider what A-list coach is going to want to come to Buffalo and sully their reputatuion. It's not just spending money. The team and the city have a bad rep that will make it hard to draw quality free agents. Turning around the Bills is extra hard.

PTR

I do understand that hiring a big name coach doesn't guarantee anything. However, brigning in a guy who's well respected among the players in the league could definitely help draw top free agents. The one reservation I have about bringing in a shannahan/holmgren/cowher type would be that they already know that their legacy is secure and they might feel like they're doing buffalo a favor by coming in and if they can make the playoffs and collect a crap load of money in the mean time that's good enough. You know that an up and coming coach would work his butt off to prove himself and stop at nothing to succeed. That being said, I'd feel more comfortable with a guy who has proven in the past that he has the ability to coach a team into a contender because without the ability all the hardwork in the world won't get you very far.

PTR,

All good points...

Based on Buffalo's track record of hiring assistants to the HC position, ala Williams, Mularkey, and Jauron and missing out on guys we also interviewed like John Fox, I don't believe the organization has any room for failure this time. If they do go the typical Buffalo way of hiring a cheap asst. to take over, he will not have ANY room for error... He'd better be good and quickly... I don't believe the Buffalo fan base has any patience left if the organization goes this route. Regardless of how popular the asst. already is, season ticket sales could take a hit if they go that route yet again. Additionally, while you are correct that there have been several former assistants as of late who have become successful HCs quickly, more often than not, it is a crapshoot... If they hire another asst. who then fails like Williams, Mularkey and Jauron did, they will lose even more sales... The fans are already fed up, what if we go through the same 3 year span yet again? Not even Bills fans are that loyal... I'll say again, if the organization takes this philosophy again, it had better be right this time and fast...

On the other hand, hiring a veteran HC, and possibly one who has already won the Super Bowl could be a failure as well... who knows. However, those guys do have a proven track record, will immediately have the respect of the players and will bring excitement to the fan base... much the same as signing T.O. did... perhaps more so... Free agents and coordinators/asst. coaches may be more inclined to sign here... Ultimately, the percentages for success may be better with this option in Buffalo... regardless of how these options have turned out elsewhere.

At any rate, whatever the decision may be, it better be correct this time... I don't think the fans have it in them to watch much more of this never-ending tragedy...

I'm sure Marty is a fine coach, but I want someone who can take the Bills through the playoffs, and not just to the playoffs

yeah because getting to the playoffs where anything can happen would be a bad thing for the Bills

I guess you would prefer Cowher who was labeled the same as Marty before finally winning the super bowl or maybe Shanahan who hasnt done a thing without Elway

Marty turns teams around fast and gets them to overachieve and play smart, solid football with a style of play built for cold weather cities like Buffalo. I dont care that he never got to the super bowl as coach and only has a 5-13 playoff record, he coached 3 teams to the playoffs and would have been 4 if Snyder didnt fire him after one season when he already was showing signs of improvement going 5-3 in their last 8 games after starting 3-5

How many coaches have taken 3 teams to the playoffs? Marty and Parcells are the only ones I can think of

Any Bills fan that wouldnt want him as coach simply doesnt understand the game or never watched his teams play. Power running game and hard nosed defense, yeah who wouldnt want that in Buffalo.

I'm not sure I'd put Singletary on that list and I wouldn't put Caldwell or McDanials there either based on 9 games. Even Sparano is a question mark.

This cannot be emphasized enough. A 9 game sample size is a joke. Three years ago to the day Eric Mangini would've been on this list.

Saints - Sean Peyton

Steelers - Mike Tomlin

Colts - Mike Caldwell

Broncos - Josh McDaniels

49ers - Mike Singletary

Dolphins - Tony Sparano

Vikings - Brad Childress

I could go on, but I think you get my point. Did anyone hear of these guys before they were hired? (Mike Singletary the exception) If hiring the "name" was a guarantee of success, why are these name coaches still available?

Instead of hiring a "name" we should hire a competent GM/Ops guy who knows what to look for in a coach whether they have a name or not. I worry that hiring a head coach on name recognition alone will backfire on us.

PTR

yes we need the GM first and foremost...and it couldnt hurt to get an established big name coach.Ralph doesnt have time to guess/get lucky with an unknown quantity.If we got a really good GM..then yes lets trust his judgement even if it isn't a big name coach.