marty

bkc

Was it Marty's fault that the idiot on SD didn't slide down after he intercepted the ball in the playoff game vs the Pats? They even showed video footage of Marty telling him to slide down if that situation were to happen.

Was it Marty's fault that the Browns let John Elway drive over 90 yards on his defense? Elway, Kelly & Marino were the 3 best QB's of their time and are Hall of Fame QB's.

IMO, Marty had the plug pulled on him way too soon. If he were to have to tenure on a team like Cowher did with the Steelers, Marty would have had a Super bowl victory. Luckily, Mr. Rooney was a patient guy and didn't fire Cowher for not being able to win the big game within a few years.

This +100. A few years is an understatement. Cowher choked away the top seed how many times? 92 vs. Buffalo, 94 vs. SD, '01 and '04 vs. the Pats. Hell they should've lost to the Jets but got bailed out by their kicker. But he's a better "clutch guy" because they took out Palmer's knee and benefited from God awful officiating in the SB. The "big game" stuff is jibberish from the same donks who said Arod would never hit in the postseason. Give me Marty any day.

I couldn't agree more my brother. Marty is THE perfect choice for this football team. I would prefer him over any other coach. In fact, I would want him for GM, or really whatever he wants to do.

He really is....he's got the right mentality and vision for a cold weather team....he's a great leader...he's got a history with the Bills....Ralph won't have to pay Cowher/Holmgren/Shanahan money to get him...etc.

I'm a big fan of "Marty-ball", too. I love a tough, "wear-you-down" power running game with a dominating defense. That's EXACTLY the kind of team that we need in Buffalo. Find a tough, gritty QB who can manage the game and also throw the deep ball in cold weather, and we'd have a winner for the next five years.

I was shocked when Snyder fired Marty after such a short tenure in Washington, and right when they were starting to show significant improvement. Obviously Snyder was smitten with Spurrier at the time, but that was a dumb move. We won't make the same mistake if we get marty. He'll have the time he needs to build the team his way, and I would bet that we'll be in the playoffs by year 2.

I've said in the past several times, that I consider marty to be the Larry Brown of the NFL. They both always leave the team much better off than how they found it....they're both successful, and sooner or later you'll win it all. I could see Buffalo being for marty what Detroit was for Larry!

Get r' done, Ralph!!!!

He really is....he's got the right mentality and vision for a cold weather team....he's a great leader...he's got a history with the Bills....Ralph won't have to pay Cowher/Holmgren/Shanahan money to get him...etc.

I'm a big fan of "Marty-ball", too. I love a tough, "wear-you-down" power running game with a dominating defense. That's EXACTLY the kind of team that we need in Buffalo. Find a tough, gritty QB who can manage the game and also throw the deep ball in cold weather, and we'd have a winner for the next five years.

I was shocked when Snyder fired Marty after such a short tenure in Washington, and right when they were starting to show significant improvement. Obviously Snyder was smitten with Spurrier at the time, but that was a dumb move. We won't make the same mistake if we get marty. He'll have the time he needs to build the team his way, and I would bet that we'll be in the playoffs by year 2.

I've said in the past several times, that I consider marty to be the Larry Brown of the NFL. They both always leave the team much better off than how they found it....they're both successful, and sooner or later you'll win it all. I could see Buffalo being for marty what Detroit was for Larry!

Get r' done, Ralph!!!!

Perfect post, and I'm not the least bit surprised. :unsure:

The odds are long that the Bills are hiring a big name ,5 million per year coach. That being said Marty makes the most sense, only 6 years older than fassel ,a lot on this site, he can come in clean up this mess and start things on the right path . While I am not sure how I feel about the next thing I am going to write but we the Bills could bring in his brother to run the offense with and eye towards taking over when marty moves upstairs . At least this gives the bills a solid football man and more importantly a chance for some continuity. It would be nice to be able to have a game plan and run with it for awhile . Either way we are looking at two new systems which means new player , which means a few more lean years

Forget it. Marty has said a couple of times this year on Sirius NFL radio - when asked by his co-host if he'd like to return to the NFL coaching ranks - that his time in coaching was over...said he had 30 great years in football as a player and coach and that he wanted to enjoy his family and grandchildren. He sounded firm and never waffled. He's not a realistic option, IMO.

Perfect post, and I'm not the least bit surprised. :unsure:

Feels good to actually be excited about what's going on with the team, again!! lol I just hope they don't fuggit up :rolleyes:

Forget it. Marty has said a couple of times this year on Sirius NFL radio - when asked by his co-host if he'd like to return to the NFL coaching ranks - that his time in coaching was over...said he had 30 great years in football as a player and coach and that he wanted to enjoy his family and grandchildren. He sounded firm and never waffled. He's not a realistic option, IMO.

I hope that's not true...like Bill suggested, let the guy be GM. He'd be fantstic in that role

Was it Marty's fault that the idiot on SD didn't slide down after he intercepted the ball in the playoff game vs the Pats? They even showed video footage of Marty telling him to slide down if that situation were to happen.

Was it Marty's fault that the Browns let John Elway drive over 90 yards on his defense? Elway, Kelly & Marino were the 3 best QB's of their time and are Hall of Fame QB's.

IMO, Marty had the plug pulled on him way too soon. If he were to have to tenure on a team like Cowher did with the Steelers, Marty would have had a Super bowl victory. Luckily, Mr. Rooney was a patient guy and didn't fire Cowher for not being able to win the big game within a few years.

Marty has buffalo connections and has won EVERYWHERE he went. Look at San Diego AFTER he left. Yes, he may be 5-13 in Playoff games - but that means he has been in the playoffs 13 seasons (More than the Bills in the last 40 years?)

He is not my 1st choice, but I would prefer him to Holmgren (won only because of Favre) and Shanahan (won only because of Elway). Would love to get Cowher but not going to happen.

I hope that's not true...like Bill suggested, let the guy be GM. He'd be fantstic in that role

aj, he didn't sound like he was giving some politically correct answer. Some callers and the host had asked him if he'd be interested in coaching again and he said he was flattered but he had done his time and wanted to enjoy his "golden years" with his family, specifically his grandkids. Like I said, he never waffled or hemmed and hawed so I believe he was being very sincere. He's no spring chicken and I just don't think you'll see him doing the coaching grind again. Stranger things have happened but I say he'll stick to his guns.

I don't want Marty. He plays a boring conservative style of football that is not going to sell tickets. He will make the Bills competative but will not produce a winner in the playoffs. If you want more mediocrity hire him, but if you want to go to the Super Bowl, we need more out of a coach. Marty is not the answer. He has never brought a team to the Super Bowl ever. Why do you think he will do it now?

If you're only going to hire guys who have been to the SB, you're going to have a short list of living, un-retired, available, interested people.

Marty knows how to get to the playoffs. And he even knows how to win playoff games. With better players, he could win an SB. How did San Diego do the year after they got rid of Marty so they could go to the SB? Marty can do the job.

EDIT: Oh, I'm really sad to see that he said he wouldn't be interested. If he changes his mind, he'd be a sensational pick.

aj, he didn't sound like he was giving some politically correct answer. Some callers and the host had asked him if he'd be interested in coaching again and he said he was flattered but he had done his time and wanted to enjoy his "golden years" with his family, specifically his grandkids. Like I said, he never waffled or hemmed and hawed so I believe he was being very sincere. He's no spring chicken and I just don't think you'll see him doing the coaching grind again. Stranger things have happened but I say he'll stick to his guns.

Make him a sweetheart offer. He might say yes. It's worth a try.

His sons have developed into respected assistants... how about one of them as HC, Marty as GM? I want someone of Shcottenheimers' ability to build an NFL roster, with NFL football players... not what we have now. Old school football is fine by me.

I have been advocating Schoettenheimer for a while. I am not saying he is my all-time favorite, hands-down choice, but I don't think pursuing him would be chasing a rainbow, as, say, Bill Cowher or John Gruden. If he is willing to coach, the Bills would be getting a guy who has a proven track record of success, and would implement a football philiosopy that has been winning football games for decades on end....not some silly hybrid, new age crap like we have now. With Marty in charge, we would never again, I would think, see our pass rushing defensive ends dropping back 15 yards into pass coverage...

Of course, this roster is not NFL caliber right now, and doesn't have near the kind of players, in key positions, that Schottenheimer would want...whoever takes over this mess, has got to have a honeymoon period. Just remember what he did his one season as Redskins head coach. He made Bruce Smith practice, and he kicked that team into shape...they got off to a slow start, but were one of the hottest teams in the league, during the second half of that season. Then he was canned, in favor of the apple of Dan Snyder's eye, Joe Gibbs.

The playoff record doesn't discourage me. Every dog has his day...