John Clayton on WGR

This segment they just had with "insider" John Clayton was just a mess. Here are some of the things...

- According to Clayton, "Demetrius Byrd may be out for the season." I know it's easy to misspeak when trying to get out info, but that was just the start.

- He says the economics of Jauron's firing would indicate we will not spend money on a "big name coach." Correct me if I'm wrong, but coaches like Gruden and Shanahan are currently on buyouts of their own, thus reducing the cost of their salaries (at least what we would pay) for the next one or two years (the same amount of time that we'd be on the hook for Jauron).

- He says Jim Haslett would be a nice option because he is someone who Wilson is familiar with. OK, that's fine, but then he went on to say that it says something that he was able to go to the UFL and go 7-0 with Brooks Bollinger and make it to the championship game. Really? You really believe that should make him a more attractive candidate to coach in the NFL right now? Come on...

- Mike Schopp brought up Jim Fassel. What he said was laughable and implies how out of touch he is. He says, "I don't know if they would be able to get someone the caliber of Fassel or if he'd even want to come..." Um, Mike, Fassel is coaching in the UFL. His last coaching job with the Ravens went so poorly that he was fired as offensive coordinator mid-season. Even with the Giants, he was 58-53-1. I don't really know what caliber Schopp was refering to.

This segment they just had with "insider" John Clayton was just a mess. Here are some of the things...

- According to Clayton, "Demetrius Byrd may be out for the season." I know it's easy to misspeak when trying to get out info, but that was just the start.

- He says the economics of Jauron's firing would indicate we will not spend money on a "big name coach." Correct me if I'm wrong, but coaches like Gruden and Shanahan are currently on buyouts of their own, thus reducing the cost of their salaries (at least what we would pay) for the next one or two years (the same amount of time that we'd be on the hook for Jauron).

- He says Jim Haslett would be a nice option because he is someone who Wilson is familiar with. OK, that's fine, but then he went on to say that it says something that he was able to go to the UFL and go 7-0 with Brooks Bollinger and make it to the championship game. Really? You really believe that should make him a more attractive candidate to coach in the NFL right now? Come on...

- Mike Schopp brought up Jim Fassel. What he said was laughable and implies how out of touch he is. He says, "I don't know if they would be able to get someone the caliber of Fassel or if he'd even want to come..." Um, Mike, Fassel is coaching in the UFL. His last coaching job with the Ravens went so poorly that he was fired as offensive coordinator mid-season. Even with the Giants, he was 58-53-1. I don't really know what caliber Schopp was refering to.

Clayton = Gazoo.

PTR

WRT buyouts, I believe you have it backwards.

If, indeed those coaches are still under cnt w/ their former teams, those teams are on the hook for whatever salary they're owed AFTER any other deals. Presumably, whatever we were to sign them for, would be more than their old team owes them.

Likewise, we (probably) won't be obligated to pay the entire amt of Jauron's (alleged) $3m/yr. Assuming he becomes a DC elsewhere for say $2m/yr, we'd only owe him the remaining $1m/yr.

Not to mention Fassel has interviewed for the Buffalo job in the past.

WRT buyouts, I believe you have it backwards.

If, indeed those coaches are still under cnt w/ their former teams, those teams are on the hook for whatever salary they're owed AFTER any other deals. Presumably, whatever we were to sign them for, would be more than their old team owes them.

Likewise, we (probably) won't be obligated to pay the entire amt of Jauron's (alleged) $3m/yr. Assuming he becomes a DC elsewhere for say $2m/yr, we'd only owe him the remaining $1m/yr.

Right, that's what I though, but I guess my dream scenario hope (I think it should have at least been mentioned by Clayton) would be this: Mike Shanahan's contract runs through the next two years. I don't know what he is scheduled to make, but let's say it was $6M per. Potentially, the Bills could say we will pay you $3 the next two years (he will still collect an additional $3M each of those seasons from Denver), with two more years guaranteed at $6M per. The Bills would be on the hook for 4 yrs $18, plus whatever is owed to Jauron (minus what he makes elsewhere). I know that is probably somewhat unrealistic, but I think it should still be mentioned.

There will only be so many openings this offseason - I could see Cleveland, Jacksonville/Tennessee/Houston depending on how they finish out the years, Oakland, Washington, Philadelphia possibly if they implode, Carolina if they fall off, Chicago/Green Bay. I honestly don't see crazy dollars being offered with limited jobs and this economy to ALL of the big name coaches.