Are we rooting for or against

plenzmd1

I can see this playing out a couple of ways.

No Cap, which also means no floor. Maybe Ralph says OK, I can lower my payroll by $8M-$10M and put that into a real GM/Coach combo or one strong guy like a Cowher or Holmgren, and get more for my money than paying players that money.

or

No Cap..Ralph goes uber cheap and and fires Dickie, but says I am getting my $3m back by cutting player costs at least by that amount, prolly more as these chucklehead fans here(me included) will continue to come to the games no matter what.

or

No Cap..Ralph says get me the best free agents in the market, in addition to the top 5 pick we own..I am sick of losing, I ain't taking it with me..so buy me a winner NOW ( I can't really see this happening BTW)

Now, what if a Cap system remains in place

Maybe new agreement includes rookie caps(that work this time) and the $15M to $20M saved goes into new GM/Coaches salary as well free agents(can't see this happening either)

or

New agreement not so onerous to small market teams and Ralph spends again

(neither 1 or 2 likely)

Ralph spends cash to cap again and spends only to the floor, and goes cheap on the GM/Coach again.

I am not sure what to root for here...anybody else got a lean one or tother?

I hope that there is not a strike and that the 2 sides can come to an agreement before an uncapped year occurs.

That being said, I hope that a new contract indeed keeps rookie salaries to a minimum, provides some sort of pension fund for retired veterans, and provides enough room for Ralph to stop pinching pennies in the front office and get a real Director of Scouting, a real Director of Pro Personnel, a real scouting department, and a real, PROVEN, football GM.

If there is not a new CBA and the final year kicks in, there is much speculation on the rules that will be changed. The big one is no free agency until player completes 6 years. There will be less movement, teams will save money as they can keep a player longer and I think you will go back to seeing more players hold out.

If there is not a new CBA and the final year kicks in, there is much speculation on the rules that will be changed. The big one is no free agency until player completes 6 years. There will be less movement, teams will save money as they can keep a player longer and I think you will go back to seeing more players hold out.

Thats not speculation, but fact. 2010, if an uncapped year, means 6 years to UFA, no owners paying into the plaers benefit fund, and while no ceiling on spending, also no floor. Be interesting to see what Ralph will do with no floor on salaries

Thats not speculation, but fact. 2010, if an uncapped year, means 6 years to UFA, no owners paying into the plaers benefit fund, and while no ceiling on spending, also no floor. Be interesting to see what Ralph will do with no floor on salaries

Didn't want to state as fact as I will be called for a link. Seems like too much against the players if next year is played without a new agreement. The 6 year deal is huge. How many players have careers longer than 6 on average? Like I said, I think we will see holdouts like we did in the '70s.