An objective approach to coach picking

Beerball

There are several teams that most assuredly will be choosing a new head coach this off season. There are others that may be in the running. Let's take a look at the possibilities.

Teams who will be looking for a HC

Buffalo

Oakland

Cleveland

Washington

Teams who may be looking for a HC

Jacksonville (Del Rio is pulling a Jauron...if they finish .500 or above is he safe? Based on their division I make a change.)

Tennessee (unlikely, Bud shot his wad last Sunday)

Dallas (even the division will not save Wade, this team needs playoff win(s) to save his job...)

Chicago (unlikely based on what Lovie is owed, but who knows)

Green Bay (unlikely I think, but if they collapse down the stretch?)

Carolina (Is Fox safe? Team has won 3 of last 4)

Our best bet to get an experienced coach is dependent on three (four if you toss in would they be willing to work for Ralph) factors:

money

what other jobs are available

has an experienced GM been brought on board

If an honest to goodness GM is in place we're likely to go the hot coordinator route. Not necessarily bad, but like TDs first decision as Bills GM the future rests on picking the right guy. TD picked a guy who is a really really good DC but he wasn't ready to be a HC and perhaps never will be. If you want one of the big name coaches then you don't want the Bills to hire a real live experienced NFL GM. (which I don't see happening anyway)

If a newbie is brought in as GM then look for the team to go after an experienced HC. If that's what you want then you have to consider the competition. Where do the Bills fit? How much will Ralph be willing to pay? Will an experienced (successful) HC want to work for Ralph? Will they want to work in Buffalo? When you look at the sure things does one franchise stand out? Who can you eliminate? Oakland & Washington are out. That leaves Buffalo and Cleveland. Two rust belt cities with strong fan bases and not much else. Will one of the top tier coaches want either? Nope. Our best bet in this scenario is someone like Marty. No Mike Shanahan. No Brian Billick. No Chucky (I know...extension signed at ESPN). Other possibilities are Jim Fassel and Jim Haslett from the UFL.

If Dallas or Chicago open up then they vault to the top of the heap. Shanahan has his choice between these two.

Damn, that's a lot of words for a Beerball post. So, to boil it down...

We aren't getting Shanahan or Billick or Chucky. It isn't going to happen so put those thoughts out of your head.

Consider Marty, Fassel or Haslett if you like. Buffalo would have an actual shot at one of those three.

Consider the hot coordinator. A GM must be in place for this to have a chance of working. Our hope is that Ralph finds lightning in a bottle twice in his lifetime. Who's the next Bill Polian?

Consider the hot coordinator. A GM must be in place for this to have a chance of working. Our hope is that Ralph finds lightning in a bottle twice in his lifetime. Who's the next Bill Polian?

I was listening to John Clayton's radio show a few days back and he was talking about how Seattle might want to get a new GM. The problem with that is, in his mind, there aren't any good potential GMs out there looking for a job. In his mind, all of the good GMs are already working. Most of the Bills fans want a new GM but really, who could get?

Look at where marketing has got the Bills the past few years. Do we really want the 'marketing-only' strategy to continue?

The marketing strategy has filled the stands to watch some pi$$ poor football the last ten years. I didn't say it's what I wanted .... just said it would be a brillient marketing move (and cheep too!!!) so it would fit right in with the Bills we all know and love. ;)

There are several teams that most assuredly will be choosing a new head coach this off season. There are others that may be in the running. Let's take a look at the possibilities.

Teams who will be looking for a HC

Buffalo

Oakland

Cleveland

Washington

Teams who may be looking for a HC

Jacksonville (Del Rio is pulling a Jauron...if they finish .500 or above is he safe? Based on their division I make a change.)

Tennessee (unlikely, Bud shot his wad last Sunday)

Dallas (even the division will not save Wade, this team needs playoff win(s) to save his job...)

Chicago (unlikely based on what Lovie is owed, but who knows)

Green Bay (unlikely I think, but if they collapse down the stretch?)

Carolina (Is Fox safe? Team has won 3 of last 4)

Our best bet to get an experienced coach is dependent on three (four if you toss in would they be willing to work for Ralph) factors:

money

what other jobs are available

has an experienced GM been brought on board

If an honest to goodness GM is in place we're likely to go the hot coordinator route. Not necessarily bad, but like TDs first decision as Bills GM the future rests on picking the right guy. TD picked a guy who is a really really good DC but he wasn't ready to be a HC and perhaps never will be. If you want one of the big name coaches then you don't want the Bills to hire a real live experienced NFL GM. (which I don't see happening anyway)

If a newbie is brought in as GM then look for the team to go after an experienced HC. If that's what you want then you have to consider the competition. Where do the Bills fit? How much will Ralph be willing to pay? Will an experienced (successful) HC want to work for Ralph? Will they want to work in Buffalo? When you look at the sure things does one franchise stand out? Who can you eliminate? Oakland & Washington are out. That leaves Buffalo and Cleveland. Two rust belt cities with strong fan bases and not much else. Will one of the top tier coaches want either? Nope. Our best bet in this scenario is someone like Marty. No Mike Shanahan. No Brian Billick. No Chucky (I know...extension signed at ESPN). Other possibilities are Jim Fassel and Jim Haslett from the UFL.

If Dallas or Chicago open up then they vault to the top of the heap. Shanahan has his choice between these two.

Damn, that's a lot of words for a Beerball post. So, to boil it down...

We aren't getting Shanahan or Billick or Chucky. It isn't going to happen so put those thoughts out of your head.

Consider Marty, Fassel or Haslett if you like. Buffalo would have an actual shot at one of those three.

I love the proven NFL GM, but disagree that a "hot" coordinator would be the only option.

You may be implying that most of the experienced and proven HC's out there like power. What proven NFL head coach does not? But there are limits to such power- that being an even more powerful GM.

And methinks you neglect some of the better working relationships between coaches and GM's out there now, and possibly in the future:

1.) GM Bruce Allen with Gruden- worked in Tampa. Rumors have been linked that Allen may be the Bills target. I don't see Gruden leaving warm weather clubs, but perhaps Allen would be able to sway him.

2.) GM Floyd Reese with Fisher- big IF Fisher gets fired, as I agree that Adams blew more than his load last week (say $250,000 for an obscene gesture) and Fisher has the best antidote currently to the hotseat- winning! With that being said, the Titans have been a perennial tough team this decade, and Reese is largely credited as the man who built it.

and finally,

3.) GM Ron Wolf with Holmgren- More big IF's, as Wolf is retired and Holmgren keeps making indications he wants to be a GM. But I digress. Holmgren has now come out and stated that he would love to return to coaching on the east coast. Redskins are out. Cleveland has rolled out the carpet, but I don't think he was meaning Cleveland when he stated east coast. I have a suspicion that he meant the Bills. Why? West Coast offense with Trent Edwards. Holmgren is a Walsh disciple. Walsh liked what he saw in Edwards. Holmgren has stated many times in the past how much he likes Lynch at RB.

I would agree that Cowher is not going to work. I pray that another coordinator (read: gamble) is not selected, regardless of proven GM or not. And I do like the idea of Schottenheimer.

I've drank the Kool-aid, having seen him defend an off-color comment..

Mike Leach for HC.

Don't know about young, upcoming GM's though..

I've been a Leach fan for years, but I really think he might be best as our offensive co-ordinator. If he gets dumped or wants to leave Texas Tech, this may work out.