A GM suggestion

mikecole1

Let's hire Chris Polian away from the Colts and make him the GM. Graduate from Saint Francis High School and has been learning at the feet of his dad all these years and has received some rave reviews there in Indy. Don't know any lingering bad blood between Bill and RW would nix this but it's an outside the box idea.

Chris Polian will assume the GM duties when his father steps down. Jim Irsay has denied other teams the ability to even interview him.

Jeff Littman runs this team, and will do so as long as RW owns the team.

EDIT: Why would Chris Polian come here when his father was unceremoniously dumped because Littman and the elder Polian didn't get along?

Chris Polian will assume the GM duties when his father steps down. Jim Irsay has denied other teams the ability to even interview him.

Oh ok didn't know that about Jim Irsay, BillsVet, but makes sense. Something I brainstormed up during this lost season.

Oh ok didn't know that about Jim Irsay, BillsVet, but makes sense. Something I brainstormed up during this lost season.

Didn't mean to come off that way. I agree the younger Polian will make a fine GM, because he's trained under the best personnel executive of the past 25 years.

It remains largely unsaid, but Bills upper management has few contacts in the NFL. I think most decent front office execs and potential coaches know they'll be dealing with a meddling owner, cheap team treasurer, and nominal GM who doesn't know a lick about personnel.

Sorry I'm off the boat for bringing in another past glory guy. Levy screwed the pooch with his pick of Jauron, a guy with 1 winning season, and last I knew refused to admit it was a mistake.

I want a proven football guy, with a track record of WINNING and with power to do what needs to be done.

Interesting statement. Can you substantiate or explain how you come to this conclusion?

It's my opinion, based on the front office in their current form. RW doesn't have contacts throughout the league like he did 40 years ago. What's more, when he needed to replace TD, he hires the most recognized coach in the past 25 years of Bills history. Upon Marv's retirement, he names Brandon quasi GM, when the guy has never worked in NFL personnel.

Littman is not a NFL guy, but handles RW's finances. I think it's reasonable to believe neither of those two guys, who reportedly are in the inner-circle, know fellow personnel people in the league. Even if they did, I wouldn't trust them to hire a new pro personnel director, amateur scouting director, let alone a GM.

EDIT: Why would Chris Polian come here when his father was unceremoniously dumped because Littman and the elder Polian didn't get along?

Who needs an interview, just hire him already.

It's my opinion, based on the front office in their current form. RW doesn't have contacts throughout the league like he did 40 years ago. What's more, when he needed to replace TD, he hires the most recognized coach in the past 25 years of Bills history. Upon Marv's retirement, he names Brandon quasi GM, when the guy has never worked in NFL personnel.

Littman is not a NFL guy, but handles RW's finances. I think it's reasonable to believe neither of those two guys, who reportedly are in the inner-circle, know fellow personnel people in the league. Even if they did, I wouldn't trust them to hire a new pro personnel director, amateur scouting director, let alone a GM.

I think you are dead on. Donohoe was the last person with the organization who was "connected". Although the results under him were not stellar, I find it hard to fathom that this franchise would be in as bad a shape as it is right now, had he not been canned. Mr Wilson has money men running his team, not football men.

Judging from what I see, and what I hear NFL "insiders" say, I don't think the franchise has any real credibility, right now, around the league. They really are falling into that Al Davis/Raiders neighborhood. The one guy in the "inner circle" who has/had a decent reputation was Tom Modrak. He built a reputation on the work he did with the Eagles, and helped transform them into a perennial contender. However, if you believe what you read (dangerous I know) Modrak has a personality that grates on many, and doesn't "play well" with others. So, even he is an outsider.

Judging from what I see, and what I hear NFL "insiders" say, I don't think the franchise has any real credibility, right now, around the league. They really are falling into that Al Davis/Raiders neighborhood. The one guy in the "inner circle" who has/had a decent reputation was Tom Modrak. He built a reputation on the work he did with the Eagles, and helped transform them into a perennial contender. However, if you believe what you read (dangerous I know) Modrak has a personality that grates on many, and doesn't "play well" with others. So, even he is an outsider.

I've heard the term used, "Oakland Raiders of the east" to describe the Bills. Just being referenced that way is embarrassing. RW and Davis are both too old to run teams, but it's a dictatorship and no one's going to challenge them. At least with the Lions they've hired a new HC and promoted someone from within to GM.

Modrak isn't highly respected. Tim Graham did a short piece that said many amateur scouting directors don't work out of their stadiums. But he happens to be their only senior football guy and he refused the GM spot at least once. He doesn't want the responsibility, and if I'm a supervisor, I'm leery of someone who declines responsibility. Buddy Nix is 70, and John Guy is not even a joke anymore-he's a nightmare.

The reason why we have this futility is not that Russ Brandon is GM. It's These other guys that Ralph listens to that continue to drive the franchise into the dirt. You can replace Brandon, but expect more of the same.

What other guys? Brandon isn't going anywhere, and neither is Littman. The problem remains that an inexperienced nominal GM is listening to bad personnel advice from bad chief scouts: Guy and Modrak. Talk about dysfunctional.

What other guys? Brandon isn't going anywhere, and neither is Littman. The problem remains that an inexperienced nominal GM is listening to bad personnel advice from bad chief scouts: Guy and Modrak. Talk about dysfunctional.

Perhaps the language was confusing. You can replace Brandon all you want, but until the people with input on hiring the GM are competent, it's not going to matter.

He doesn't want the responsibility, and if I'm a supervisor, I'm leery of someone who declines responsibility.

Excellent point! He just wants to stay under the radar and not be held accountable for decisions while at the same time playing a large role in the decision-making process. Basically, he wants to have his cake and eat it, too. If he can't step up then he needs to step out completely or be removed.

Perhaps the language was confusing. You can replace Brandon all you want, but until the people with input on hiring the GM are competent, it's not going to matter.

Sure. But the question is, who goes looking for the GM? Brandon and Littman have no idea what to look for, and I think the only thing to do is find a football czar, a la Bill Parcells, who can do this for them. Of course it's going to cost a lot of money, which will go against what Littman will want. And it'll mean another thing which may negatively affect the final sale of the team.

Excellent point! He just wants to stay under the radar and not be held accountable for decisions while at the same time playing a large role in the decision-making process. Basically, he wants to have his cake and eat it, too. If he can't step up then he needs to step out completely or be removed.

Guy and Modrak have the types of jobs we all want: no accountability, able to be bad to mediocre, and not get fired. He's not the answer, and if he were decent, he'd have left long ago. Then again, who can blame a guy who doesn't want to be at OBD?

Sure. But the question is, who goes looking for the GM? Brandon and Littman have no idea what to look for, and I think the only thing to do is find a football czar, a la Bill Parcells, who can do this for them. Of course it's going to cost a lot of money, which will go against what Littman will want. And it'll mean another thing which may negatively affect the final sale of the team.

You've restated my exact point very well. I guess it wasn't confusing.