Good year to draft a QB near the top anyway

fairfaxbill

But before you do that, you need a consistent coaching philosophy and the commitment from the front office to allow that philosophy to take hold.

It's also no accident that in the same time frame the Bills have been unable to develop a QB, they've also been absolutely abhorrent in developing [fill in the blank]

No question. Bills 'must haves':

Knowledgeable GM, leave Brandon to marketing

NFL scouting department...FA acquisitions have been horrible

Head Coach

Coordinators

Coaching Staff

Players

Outside of those things we've got it made!

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No question. Bills 'must haves':

Knowledgeable GM, leave Brandon to marketing

NFL scouting department...FA acquisitions have been horrible

Head Coach

Coordinators

Coaching Staff

Players

Outside of those things we've got it made!

Missed one.

You're absolutely right man, my point is that from one QB to the next you just never know....

They should get Polian drunk when the draft comes near and ask him who he would draft at QB..I would take a drunk Polians answer over any sober Bills exec when it comes to drafting anything including an ant..

This would be a good year to draft near the top anyway provided the current front office is not doing the picking. I always thought if we were in the top 8 picks, we would trade it since the salaries are too high. However, we need a franchise QB who can play in cold weather (i.e. Jimmy Clausen). The money for 1st Round QBs is crazy anyway so we might as well draft one at the top. 5 years and $65 million should do the trick. Maybin is getting $25 million over 5 years to jump on the pile before the whistle blows.

We could also draft Bill Stull in the later rounds.

Fixed

I was all in favor of the Bills signing Favre last season, before the Jets got him, if for no other reason than to hear this over and over on the sound system this Sunday...

link

At least one mock draft has us taking Jake Locker at #6 in the 2010 draft. Not sure it makes much sense to draft a QB that high until we shore up the O-line. If Jauron's still around, it's a cinch we take Tennessee safety Eric Berry.

BTW - most mocks have Tebow going in round one, but behind Clausen, Locker, and Bradford. Myself, I don't see all four going in round one.

It is pretty much a given that Jax will use it's 1st pick on Tebow if he is there when they pick.

The building of the modern colts era really started in 96 with the drafting of Marvin

1998 3-13

Rnd Name College Note

1 Peyton Manning Tennessee

2 Jerome Pathon Washington

3 E.G. Green Florida State

4 Steve McKinney Texas A&M

5 Antony Jordan Vanderbilt

7 Aaron Taylor Nebraska

7 Cory Gaines Tennessee

1997 Polian's first year 3-13 team

Rnd Name College Note

1 Tarik Glenn California

2 Adam Meadows Georgia

3 Bertrand Berry Notre Dame made pro bowl in 05 for zona

4 Delmonico Montgomery Houston

5 Nathaniel Jacquet San Diego State

5 Carl Powell Louisville

6 Scott Von der Ahe Arizona State

7 Clarence Thompson Knoxville

1996 Last non-Polian draft 9-7 team

Rnd Name College Note

1 Marvin Harrison Syracuse

2 Dedric Mathis Houston

3 Scott Slutzker Iowa

4 Brian Milne Penn State

5 Steve Martin Missouri

6 Keith Conlin Penn State

6 Mike Cawley James Madison

7 Adrian Robinson Baylor

I cannot help but notice, the guys that aren't bolded....damn

It is pretty much a given that Jax will use it's 1st pick on Tebow if he is there when they pick.

Nothing against Tebow. I like the guy. However, Florida is successful largely because of their lights-out defense and because of their running game. Yes, Tebow can throw the ball, but he likes to run when he can. Also, I don't think he is particularly fast when he runs -- he kind of lumbers along -- which is fine at the college level, but isn't going to serve him well at the NFL level. He is serviceable as a passer, but I got to believe there are better arms out there than his in next year's draft.

This is 100% correct. The Colts, Patriots, and Steelers were built lines out. Just look at their draft histories. As Bill always foams at the mouth when we don't draft a lineman in rounds 1, 2, and 3, he knows enough to know that dynasties are built inside out.

It all starts,

or stops,

with the offensive line.

Period.

Nothing against Tebow. I like the guy. However, Florida is successful largely because of their lights-out defense and because of their running game. Yes, Tebow can throw the ball, but he likes to run when he can. Also, I don't think he is particularly fast when he runs -- he kind of lumbers along -- which is fine at the college level, but isn't going to serve him well at the NFL level. He is serviceable as a passer, but I got to believe there are better arms out there than his in next year's draft.

No question, Tebow does not have the best arm, he does have ALL the intangibles that make a player a probowler. He is the type of person that will not allow himself to fail.

Well, Tebow broke Hershel Walkers record for TD's last week. I think if his team needs a yard, Tebow will get it.

Question: if it takes Tebow 4 seasons to do what Walker did in 3, can you really say Tebow broke HW's record?

I know I'm splitting hairs, but I never considered that Eric Dickerson broke OJ's single-season rushing record of 2003 yards, because OJ did it in 14 games to Dickerson's 16.

Anyway, they'll love Tebow in Jacksonville - at least until he starts his first NFL game.

Question: if it takes Tebow 4 seasons to do what Walker did in 3, can you really say Tebow broke HW's record?

I know I'm splitting hairs, but I never considered that Eric Dickerson broke OJ's single-season rushing record of 2003 yards, because OJ did it in 14 games to Dickerson's 16.

Anyway, they'll love Tebow in Jacksonville - at least until he starts his first NFL game.

Yeah, I agee about things not being equal. Jim Brown set a LOT of records in 12 games he no longer gets credit for.

One consideration about Tebow & the record for TD's is Tebow is a QB where Walker was a RB. I think at the very least Tebow will be a smarter, better version of Vince Young.

And I'm pretty sure the Chargers tried to do the same thing with Ryan Leaf. Like I told you, crapshoot....

Before that draft, there was a big debate about whether Manning or Leaf would have the better career. A debate which seems to have died down a little, as of late.

The pro-Manning faction of that debate pointed out that he was the more polished player; and had developed better pocket passing skills at the college level. Leaf was "raw"--by which it was meant he wasn't (yet?) as good a pocket passer as Manning. But Leaf supposedly had more "upside"--by which they meant his physical gifts were better than Manning's.

The Manning/Leaf dichotomy illustrates a more general point about quarterbacks. Don't take a guy based on his "potential" if by "potential" you mean "physical potential." (Physical) potential got us J.P. Losman. Physical potential got the Raiders Jamarcus Russell. Physical potential played a big role in getting the Chargers Ryan Leaf.

But if you take a "polished passer" at the college level, you stand a much better chance of avoiding a bust. Even if he doesn't have the world's greatest set of physical attributes, so what? Joe Montana fell to the third round due to his lack of arm strength.

If the Bills come across an accomplished, polished, first-rate pocket passer, they should take him. Period. Guys like that are rare and difficult to acquire--more difficult even than top-tier offensive tackles. But if the best available QB is "raw" or "unpolished," then we should forget about that guy and go with an offensive tackle instead.

Both quarterbacks and offensive linemen tend to have long careers. So it's not all that important when you acquire your QB versus your linemen. Focus on getting the right football players--especially for key positions like QB and LT--rather than on when you happen to get them!