Good year to draft a QB near the top anyway

fairfaxbill

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tebow will ride in on his white horse and save the day!

I would take Tebow in the 5th Round. He could play the Wildcat and help out on Special Teams. I don't think he is a first round pick, plus the coldest game he has probably played in is a rainy game in Tennessee.

I like Clausen at the top, but could be convinced of others.

I could see the Redskins taking Tebow and never getting anywhere.

This would be a good year to draft near the top anyway. I always thought if we were in the top 8 picks, we would trade it since the salaries are too high. However, we need a franchise QB who can play in cold weather (i.e. Jimmy Clausen). The money for 1st Round QBs is crazy anyway so we might as well draft one at the top. 5 years and $65 million should do the trick. Maybin is getting $25 million over 5 years to jump on the pile before the whistle blows.

We could also draft Bill Stull in the later rounds.

Jimmy Clausen is from Thousand Oaks, California...not exactly sure he is quite the "cold weather" guy we are looking for.

It won't matter who we draft. This coaching staff (sorry AVP) will destroy him. No one will be ever to flourish with DJ manning the controls. The poor players here are put in there as pawns for commanders that don't know what the heck they are doing. Peyton Manning would have been destroyed here. Why pull T. Edwards at the end of the game? What the hell does that prove?

And it begins again. Every year for the past decade has been a rebuilding year. I'm sick of rebuilding years. Until regime change happens, ain't nothing gonna change, no offense to Ralph. Then you've gotta start with the front office. This FO and coaching staff could actually steer the Pats to a 7-9 season.

He's played at Notre Dame so he knows how to play in Winter conditions unlike QB's from Tulane and the Pac-10.

As others said this organization is toxic for QB prospects... Without changes Clausen would just be another tackling dummy that acts like a team player in press conferences...

As an interesting side note on drafting QB's. Have a look at the first 5 QBs drafted Losman's year: Eli Manning, Phillip Rivers, Ben Roethlisberger, J.P. Losman, Matt Schaub

I'm pretty sure Bill Polian started the rebuilding process with Peyton Manning.

The building of the modern colts era really started in 96 with the drafting of Marvin

1998 3-13

Rnd Name College Note

1 Peyton Manning Tennessee

2 Jerome Pathon Washington

3 E.G. Green Florida State

4 Steve McKinney Texas A&M

5 Antony Jordan Vanderbilt

7 Aaron Taylor Nebraska

7 Cory Gaines Tennessee

1997 Polian's first year 3-13 team

Rnd Name College Note

1 Tarik Glenn California

2 Adam Meadows Georgia

3 Bertrand Berry Notre Dame made pro bowl in 05 for zona

4 Delmonico Montgomery Houston

5 Nathaniel Jacquet San Diego State

5 Carl Powell Louisville

6 Scott Von der Ahe Arizona State

7 Clarence Thompson Knoxville

1996 Last non-Polian draft 9-7 team

Rnd Name College Note

1 Marvin Harrison Syracuse

2 Dedric Mathis Houston

3 Scott Slutzker Iowa

4 Brian Milne Penn State

5 Steve Martin Missouri

6 Keith Conlin Penn State

6 Mike Cawley James Madison

7 Adrian Robinson Baylor

This is 100% correct. The Colts, Patriots, and Steelers were built lines out. Just look at their draft histories. As Bill always foams at the mouth when we don't draft a lineman in rounds 1, 2, and 3, he knows enough to know that dynasties are built inside out.

Actually, the Colts drafted tons and tons of linemen for years and years, but failed until they landed a good QB. And now the Steelers line pretty much stinks, yet their offense is good because of the QB. QB first; o-line second. It's pretty simple.

More recently the Chargers drafted a QB at the top and seems like Rivers has worked out for them so far.

Yeah, SD drafting Eli Manning worked out well. For the Giants.

I just don't see a franchise QB in the upcoming draft. Gonna have to look for a 'Favre on an Atl. bench' FA, IMO.

Actually, the Colts drafted tons and tons of linemen for years and years, but failed until they landed a good QB. And now the Steelers line pretty much stinks, yet their offense is good because of the QB. QB first; o-line second. It's pretty simple.

when Ben was drafted the Steelers had one of the best lines in the NFL, and a killer run game to boot. For a QB to develop, he needs to have a competent line in front of him. For every Archie Manning, there are 20 JP Losmans. Simply put you implement a line before you get a QB.

Peyton was fortunate that Meadows and Glenn turned out to be great young lineman.

Brady was fortunate that Bellycheck and co. were able to get the most out of a line full of vets and castoffs, and the fact that bellycheck is a very proficient cheater.

when Ben was drafted the Steelers had one of the best lines in the NFL, and a killer run game to boot. For a QB to develop, he needs to have a competent line in front of him. For every Archie Manning, there are 20 JP Losmans. Simply put you implement a line before you get a QB.

Peyton was fortunate that Meadows and Glenn turned out to be great young lineman.

Brady was fortunate that Bellycheck and co. were able to get the most out of a line full of vets and castoffs, and the fact that bellycheck is a very proficient cheater.

I'm hardly saying that the Bills shouldn't pursue good linemen. What I'm saying is that if you don't have a good QB, you're pretty much accepting that the best you'll ever do is 9-7/10-6 (assuming everything goes right). There's a reason that good teams prioritize having good QBs, whether they get them through the first round of the draft (the Colts, the Falcons), through a trade in which they pay a lot (GB for Favre in 1992; the Texans with Schaub), or through luck (Brady; Brees via FA for NO). It's no coincidence that the Ravens went 5-11 in 2007, yet with essentially the same team plus Joe Flacco in 2008, they went to the AFC championship game. And the Saints weren't any good until Brees came along.

It's romantic to think that the grunts up front are what win games, and yes, they are important. But it has becoming increasingly evident (to me, at least) that this is a QB-driven league. If you don't have one, forget about it.

Negative....we need to build this team from the lines out. Stuff the trenches with real football players and watch them make your skill position players look twice as good. Remember, for every Matt Ryan and Joe Flacco there is a Jemarcus Russell and Alex Smith. Drafting a QB that high is a crap shoot and if it fails it can set the whole organization back...bigtime.

And on the flip side, for every Orlando Pace there is a Mike Williams and a Robert Gallery....

It's a crap shoot no matter who you draft....

I am stating the obvious here but a good QB can also make his line look good as well.

More recently the Chargers drafted a QB at the top and seems like Rivers has worked out for them so far.

Have any smart asses pointed out that the Chargers didn't draft Rivers?

Put me in the get an O-line first category. The current unit (can you call it a unit?) has perfected the sieve technique and a QB isn't going to learn playing behind that.

Have any smart asses pointed out that the Chargers didn't draft Rivers?

Put me in the get an O-line first category. The current unit (can you call it a unit?) has perfected the sieve technique and a QB isn't going to learn playing behind that.

But before you do that, you need a consistent coaching philosophy and the commitment from the front office to allow that philosophy to take hold.

It's also no accident that in the same time frame the Bills have been unable to develop a QB, they've also been absolutely abhorrent in developing [fill in the blank]

Yeah, SD drafting Eli Manning worked out well. For the Giants.

I just don't see a franchise QB in the upcoming draft. Gonna have to look for a 'Favre on an Atl. bench' FA, IMO.

I was all in favor of the Bills signing Favre last season, before the Jets got him, if for no other reason than to hear this over and over on the sound system this Sunday...

link

At least one mock draft has us taking Jake Locker at #6 in the 2010 draft. Not sure it makes much sense to draft a QB that high until we shore up the O-line. If Jauron's still around, it's a cinch we take Tennessee safety Eric Berry.

BTW - most mocks have Tebow going in round one, but behind Clausen, Locker, and Bradford. Myself, I don't see all four going in round one.