Someone Please Explain the Palin Hatred!

Nevermind "liberal"...Typically, I find that most people who hold to any ideology have opinions that are in by that ideology, end of story. The second-hardest thing in the world is to question one's own assumptions - the hardest is to identify them in the first place.

I could give plenty of real-world examples from my own experience (hell, my own family - a large, diverse, and not always intelligent bunch. My mother, for example, takes everything Bill O'Reilly says as gospel). But one need not look any further than the current top five topics on this board - Hedd's mindless Palin-bashing, billsfan4life's unabashed jingoism, a global warming thread that is almost entirely dogmatic... The big difference between this board and reality, though, is that in reality people tend to seek out and associate with like-minded people, so find their intellectual prejudices reinforced at every turn rather than questioned.

EDIT:

Cases in point... :lol:

I agree, but the response I was trying to steer you towards would have addressed the less concrete nature of liberal ideology compared to "conservatism," which, in my opinion stems from the fact that liberal-leaning people base their ideology on a diverse range of moral codes, as compared to conservatives who base theirs on a much vaguer, and therefore all encompassing code.

And while I agree that both sides cling to their versions of empty rhetoric, the conservative rhetoric tends be far more vague (based on "values"), and therefore much wider reaching. As a result, it's much easier to paint someone as "liberal-leaning" because the term itself is so paradoxically vague by comparison, i.e., someone is liberal-leaning because they don't adhere to, or question the nebulous "values" which render someone a conservative.

Jesus Christ, I've gone cross-eyed.

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't be an idiot. It's called "being human". "Being liberal" is just a subset of that, just like "being conservative". Your anecdotal evidence with regard to liberals is ironically tainted by your own bias.

OK, think of the different panel discussions involving liberals and conservatives. What side tends to shout down the other side when they can't come up with a fact based answer? Who in Congress right now is resorting to smoke and mirrors and subterfuge to get their agenda passed? Actually think about this and then think about if these opinions are "tainted by my own bias" or spot on.

I agree, but the response I was trying to steer you towards would have addressed the less concrete nature of liberal ideology compared to "conservatism," which, in my opinion stems from the fact that liberal-leaning people base their ideology on a diverse range of moral codes, as compared to conservatives who base theirs on a much vaguer, and therefore all encompassing code.

And while I agree that both sides cling to their versions of empty rhetoric, the conservative rhetoric tends be far more vague (based on "values"), and therefore much wider reaching. As a result, it's much easier to paint someone as "liberal-leaning" because the term itself is so paradoxically vague by comparison, i.e., someone is liberal-leaning because they don't adhere to, or question the nebulous "values" which render someone a conservative.

This is how the world looks through liberal goggles.

OK, think of the different panel discussions involving liberals and conservatives. What side tends to shout down the other side when they can't come up with a fact based answer?

Have you noticed the tea bag revolution?

Stop digging a hole and realize that it is simply our nature. Only then you can recognize it for what it is and TRY to keep yourself from falling into these traps. It's not easy to accept or change this about oneself (cue the peanut gallery :lol:).

CRITICAL THOUGHT

Have you noticed the tea bag revolution?

Stop digging a hole and realize that it is simply our nature. Only then you can recognize it for what it is and TRY to keep yourself from falling into these traps. It's not easy to accept or change this about oneself (cue the peanut gallery :lol:).

CRITICAL THOUGHT

Nonsensical response.

Yes, with what you gave me to work with. If you want a more complete response make some sense. I'd do better debating with Crayonz.

What side tends to shout down the other side when they can't come up with a fact based answer?

This descibes the Tea Bag Movement to a "Tee" :lol:. You disagree?

What side tends to shout down the other side when they can't come up with a fact based answer?

This descibes the Tea Bag Movement to a "Tee" :lol:. You disagree?

You've gotta be kidding me. You are comparing a grass roots uprising to a panel discussion? Like I said, you are not worth debating. I've got better things to do with my time.

Maybe in a purist's sense, or 18th Century context, but last I checked Voltaire and Frederick the Great are dead. The practical fact nowadays is that "liberal" people hold to nebulous values just as much as "conservative" ones do. The values just happen to be different.

OK, think of the different panel discussions involving liberals and conservatives. What side tends to shout down the other side when they can't come up with a fact based answer?

Both.

Who in Congress right now is resorting to smoke and mirrors and subterfuge to get their agenda passed? Actually think about this and then think about if these opinions are "tainted by my own bias" or spot on.

Yet another case in point. "Right now"? The Democrats, of course. Not because they're liberals, but because they're the majority party.

But you have to qualify your question with "right now" to justify your a priori prejudice.

Maybe in a purist's sense, or 18th Century context, but last I checked Voltaire and Frederick the Great are dead. The practical fact nowadays is that "liberal" people hold to nebulous values just as much as "conservative" ones do. The values just happen to be different.

That's fair. Let me ask you this, then:

Do you know more self-proclaimed liberals or conservatives?

For me it's conservatives, hands-down. And the only one labeling anyone "liberal" are conservatives looking from the inside out.

Both.

Yet another case in point. "Right now"? The Democrats, of course. Not because they're liberals, but because they're the majority party.

But you have to qualify your question with "right now" to justify your a priori prejudice.

Man, you are on a literary rampage today. Robert Frost would be proud :lol:

That's fair. Let me ask you this, then:

Do you know more self-proclaimed liberals or conservatives?

For me it's conservatives, hands-down. And the only one labeling anyone "liberal" are conservatives looking from the inside out.

Actually, for me it's probably split about even. I will say, though, that I've known more self-proclaimed "liberals" who've decided they're really "independent", than I do conservatives who've decided the same thing.

I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt and assuming that was a joke. In which case, that was brilliant. :lol:

Just goes to show some people take this stuff too damn serious.

America is stupid, likes to hate things. Palin in spotlight, so hate her. Americans are hateful, that's how it is. They love liberty though, so love it or leave it......

Is that why so many people hate Obama?

is it me, or did she misspell the title of her book? was it not supposed to be called: "Going Rouge"?

jw

I used that joke the other day myself