Here's a novel idea....

realtruelove

While I agree that the line needs to be seriously addressed this offseason, I don't think using each and every pick on one position, ANY position, is the answer. Even still, this organization is not the best at evaluating talent anyway. We may end up with a whole draft of underachieving linemen.

Guest Guest_eyedog_*

Is it asking to much to draft ONE o-lineman that can actually play. Just one, then get one in free agency. I know it's difficult for this front office but wtf.

I would have agreed with you yesterday, but I saw an interesting post on another Bills fan forum done by a high school football coach, who is also a Bills fan. He went through his video of the NE game play by play to break down the play of the line. His conclusion was that the play of the line has improved immensely. The problem, he maintained, is that Drew seems to have worked so hard on getting rid of the ball quickly that he has sacrificed footwork and is locking in on one receiver even when well covered (often Eric Moulds). That was where the interceptions occurred. The coaching staff has for all intents and purposes abandoned the deep passing game, so the Patriots cut way back on blitzing, and linebackers dropped back in coverage, not worrying about the deep ball. That cuts down on yards after the catch in the passing game.

I tried including a link, but TBD's software apparently is programmed not to allow a link to a competitor.

That's not to say Buffalo shouldn't look at upgrading the line, but it may not be as bad as some think.

I would have agreed with you yesterday, but I saw an interesting post on another Bills fan forum done by a high school football coach, who is also a Bills fan.  He went through his video of the NE game play by play to break down the play of the line.  His conclusion was that the play of the line has improved immensely.  The problem, he maintained, is that Drew seems to have worked so hard on getting rid of the ball quickly that he has sacrificed footwork and is locking in on one receiver even when well covered (often Eric Moulds).  That was where the interceptions occurred.  The coaching staff has for all intents and purposes abandoned the deep passing game, so the Patriots cut way back on blitzing, and linebackers dropped back in coverage, not worrying about the deep ball.  That cuts down on yards after the catch in the passing game.

I tried including a link, but TBD's software apparently is programmed not to allow a link to a competitor.

That's not to say Buffalo shouldn't look at upgrading the line, but it may not be as bad as some think.

121391[/snapback]

That high school football coach is an idiot. The Bills line has been getting pushed around every year for the past 10 years. The NE game is what he considers immense offensive line improvement? Yeah right. Drew is absolutely horrible but so is our line. They're always getting pushed around and if it's not overhauled expect another 8-8 season in 2005.

Said coach did not address the running game, but Mularkey basically admitted the Bills abandoned the running game when they got behind in the second quarter. Willis did not have a great YPC, but he did have some decent runs along the way.

Before declaring said coach an idiot, 1billsfan, did you take the time to go through the video and break down each play and time how long Drew had to pass like said coach did? BTW, I think he was refering to the last three games at least when talking about the line's improvement.

I don't mind people disagreeing, but i think "idiot" is a term thrown around all too frequently around here.

Anybody notice the graphic during the game that showed that all the Pats Olinemen playing in that game were either undrafted or late round draft picks?

Looking at the way they manhandled us and the rest of the league, it kinda blows the whole "draft OLine early and often" theory out of the water.

Said coach did not address the running game, but Mularkey basically admitted the Bills abandoned the running game when they got behind in the second quarter.  Willis did not have a great YPC, but he did have some decent runs along the way.

Before declaring said coach an idiot, 1billsfan, did you take the time to go through the video and break down each play and time how long Drew had to pass like said coach did?  BTW, I think he was refering to the last three games at least when talking about the line's improvement.

I don't mind people disagreeing, but i think "idiot" is a term thrown around all too frequently around here.

121452[/snapback]

I just don't like the idea of throwing roses at the lines performance in the passing game. Who cares if they are improved there and still do not open holes in the running game. This team will be 8-8 next season with this line's current makeup.

Guest Guest_dan_*

Be it through the draft, free agency, or walk-in trials.... we need some desperate O-line improvement! This was never more apparent than on Sunday night. All you had to do was look at the little piece they did showing that Drew must throw within 3 seconds. Then they show Brady and he gets 4 seconds. Now 1 second may not seem like much, but did you also notice that at 3 seconds Drew had the backs of all our linemen in his face while he's jumping up to throw. Brady on the other hand had an enormous lane in front of him and could make any throw he wanted.

Our line has sucked royally for years; it's been grossly neglected and this team will suck until we get a line in here. Plain as that.

How many coaches? QBs? receivers? running backs? have we gone through in the last 5 or 6 years and yet we still get pushed around. The one consant is we have a bad line that they refuse to upgrade.

Yeah, lets all bash Drew and put in JP. Lets trade Travis and put in Willis. Lets bring in a bevy of coaches. Yet when its all said and done the results are the same. Why? Our O-line sucks. They may be improved, but they're still light years away from good.

Anybody notice the graphic during the game that showed that all the Pats Olinemen playing in that game were either undrafted or late round draft picks?

Looking at the way they manhandled us and the rest of the league, it kinda blows the whole "draft OLine early and often" theory out of the water.

121455[/snapback]

Not really.

It has more to do with being able to evaluate players than where they're taken. You can draft good ones late, as some teams do, or bad ones late, as we seem to do. Same goes for earlier in the draft. We just don't seem to have a knack for evaluating offensive linemen regardless of where they're drafted.

Who are the best college O-linemen and is there a player who would be a good pick early in the 2nd round of the 2005 NFL draft?

:doh:

121641[/snapback]

There's a few good choices. I mentioned quite a few people I liked in another thread (I'll track it down and post a link), but I watched Alabama T Wesley Britt last weekend and he looked pretty good too. I think I'll add him to the list.

NFL Draft Blitz has Buffalo taking OG Elton Brown of Virginia with their first pick, currently about 41st over all, in the second round.

Wesley Britt is currently rated a second rounder, RR, so he is certainly a possibility.

Some other names for rounds two and three: Winston Justice-Miami OT (underclassman), Andrew Whitworth-Oklahoma OT (underclassman), Vince Carter-Oklahoma C, David Bass-Michigan OG, Max Jean-Gilles-Georgia, Riob Petitti-Pitt OT, Chris Colmer-NC State OT, CJ Brooks-Maryland OG, Anthony Alabi-Louisville OT, Ben Wilkerson-LSU C, and Jon Dunn-Virg Tech OT

we do need an OG, but ALL DRAFT PICKS TAKE ATLEAAST ! YEAR TO DEVELOP!!!!

we need help now. FA is always an option.

dont forget we need an FS, unless vincent signes another contract and moves to FS.

if vincent is gone, than we need a CB. and again, he will get beat early and often his first year.

and we dont have a frist rounder. trade Henry for a 2nd rounder.

FS or CB, OG with the 2 second round picks we will have.

sign Pat Williams back. go FA for replacement for jennings if he askes for anything more than pennies (that injury prone ******).

rookies should never start, nless the guy at his position is injured or VERY BAD.

NFL Draft Blitz has Buffalo taking OG Elton Brown of Virginia with their first pick, currently about 41st over all, in the second round.

121858[/snapback]

I can't say I'd complain about that. Brown is an outstanding guard and would be a great addition to our line. I've also been monitoring the senior year of Chris Kemoeatu of Utah, who looks very impressive. I think he could be had with a 3rd round pick. Imagine if we were able to draft both guys. Wow.