Captain comeback for coach

trock12

I'm not sure what to make of the guy. He has definitely had some success but I believe he has a losing record while at Stanford. The guy's kind of a screwball,but he can coach. The college boards are linking him to Notre Dame and even Michigan. He hasn't signed an extension at Stanford even tho they've had one on the table for monthes. I have no idea where the guy ends up.

I'm not sure what to make of the guy. He has definitely had some success but I believe he has a losing record while at Stanford. The guy's kind of a screwball,but he can coach. The college boards are linking him to Notre Dame and even Michigan. He hasn't signed an extension at Stanford even tho they've had one on the table for monthes. I have no idea where the guy ends up.

He inherited a 1-11 team in 2006 (Edwards' last year) and now has them an Oregon away from the Rose Bowl only three years later.

It's an interesting thought. Jim Harbaugh has NFL and college experience and has been a revelation at Stanford. He completely changed the culture of a losing team. Jim Harbaugh has a vision. That is, he wants his teams to be more violent than the opposition on both sides of the ball. An NFL scout recently called Stanford the most physical team in college football. On offense they run mostly power, counter, iso, and a decent amount of trap with just a little bit of sweep thrown in. It's very old-school, Woody Hayes type stuff, but they run it from a wide variety of formations. (As an aside, if you watch a Stanford game, focus on their FB Owen Marecic (he also plays some MLB). He has long curly blonde hair and is pre-med, but he just hammers linebackers. Owen has cracked multiple helmets this year and is a joy to watch.) Harbaugh complements his power running game with a downfield passing attack. I believe that Andrew Luck still leads college football in passing yards per attempt. Dear Lord, why can't the Bills follow this approach?

I believe it unlikely that Harbaugh would join the Bills for several reasons:

1. Contract Extension. Harbaugh reached agreement on a contract extension in February for (reportedly) about $1.5 million per year. The signing was delayed because Stanford was in the midst of layoffs (although they did build Harbaugh a new $50K bathroom for his office this summer). Would Ralph pay Harbaugh substantially more than $1.5 million per year?

2. Future Team. The Stanford team is young (losing only 5-6 starters next year) and are led by a freshman QB who may eventually be the first pick overall in the NFL draft. Harbaugh has a good thing going.

3. Family. Jim remarried in early 2008 and last fall they had a baby daughter (Addison). Supposedly Sarah Harbaugh wants to stay put. Jim Harbaugh also has three older kids from a previous marriage and I believe that they are all on the west coast (one son at Oregon State and two kids in Southern California).

4. Geography. Palo Alto is a great place to live and a tough place to leave. Jim went to high school across the street when his dad was a coach at Stanford. Stanford was his dream school, but he did not get an offer.

5. Temperament. Unlike his brother John (who almost left the Eagles in 2007 to become Stanford's defensive coordinator), Jim wears his heart on his sleeve. He bounces off the walls with "EUTM." When Jim's dad (a long-time coach at Western Kentucky) used to drop off little Jimmy Harbaugh at school in the morning, he would instruct Jim to approach the day with an Enthusiasm Unknown To Mankind. Jim lives it. But this manic energy plays better in college football than in the NFL.

1. Contract Extension. Harbaugh reached agreement on a contract extension in February for (reportedly) about $1.5 million per year. The signing was delayed because Stanford was in the midst of layoffs (although they did build Harbaugh a new $50K bathroom for his office this summer). Would Ralph pay Harbaugh substantially more than $1.5 million per year?

3. Family. Jim remarried in early 2008 and last fall they had a baby daughter (Addison). Supposedly Sarah Harbaugh wants to stay put. Jim Harbaugh also has three older kids from a previous marriage and I believe that they are all on the west coast (one son at Oregon State and two kids in Southern California).

4. Geography. Palo Alto is a great place to live and a tough place to leave. Jim went to high school across the street when his dad was a coach at Stanford. Stanford was his dream school, but he did not get an offer.

1. There has no been an extension signed, and even if there is, college extensions seem to mean less than nothing. As of yesterday, when asked about the extension, he said no comment. Not even, "I'd love to stay here and we'll make something work.

3 and 4. Last year, he interviewed for the Jets job, so he's not so tied to Palo Alto, as nice as it is.

Jim Harbaugh would be just what the Dr. ordered for this team. First and most important is that he played for Ted Marchibroda. I would want anyone who played QB for Marchibroda, because you know that he understands offense and will have an offensive philosophy. Secondly he played for Mike Ditka and from that experience he knows how NOT to coach a team. And third, anyone who manhandles/outcoaches Pete Carroll in consecutive years can't be half bad.