New Gallup Poll on Health Care Reform

Magox

Yesterday's Republicans are todays Independents, as the percentage of Americans identifying themselves as Republicans have dropped to the low 20%s.

Hmmm, yet Republicans just won the governor races in VA and NJ....NEW JERSEY! Additionally, polling shows Republicans likely picking up seats in 2010 in both the House and Senate. Interesting results for a party you would like to pronounce dead. Oh, by the way, did you know more people now call themselves 'conservative' than this time last year, and the number of people calling themselves 'independent' has risen. Guess which group has declined since Nov 08- you guessed it, self-proclaimed 'liberals'.

Wow, Republicans have a hopeless future. Ridiculous.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Every poll that is coming out is going the wrong direction for the W.H

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=206...tpnA4&pos=9

President Barack Obama’s approval rating has fallen below 50 percent for the first time in polling by Quinnipiac University as U.S. voter discontent grows over the war in Afghanistan.

Obama’s job approval rating fell to 48 percent in the Nov. 9-16 survey of registered voters nationwide by the Hamden, Connecticut-based university, with 42 percent polled saying they disapproved of the job he is doing.

“In politics, symbols matter, and this is not a good symbol for the White House,” Peter Brown, assistant director of the Quinnipiac University Polling Institute, said in a statement.

Obama’s approval rating was 59 percent in a Quinnipiac survey conducted Feb. 25 to March 2.

The percentage of people who approve of Obama’s handling of the economy fell to 43 percent, down from 47 percent in an October Quinnipiac poll.

The percentage who say they disapprove of the way Obama is handling the war in Afghanistan rose to 49 percent in the latest survey, up from 42 percent last month. Thirty-eight percent approved of his handling of the war, compared with 40 percent last month.

That's not a valid way of governing, President Clinton.

I'm just saying.

I despise politicians who base their decisions solely on populism. However, the point is that people want health reform, but not this one, because it doesn't make sense. Whats the point of spending a trillion dollars that doesn't bring down health insurance premiums?

What I don't get AD is that you are the moderator of PPP

Politics, POLLS and Pundits

now unless I am misunderstanding the usage of the word Polls, why the hell would you want to be the moderator of a messageboards concept you believe to be "stupid"?

:doh:

I'm just sayin

Hmmm, yet Republicans just won the governor races in VA and NJ....NEW JERSEY! Additionally, polling shows Republicans likely picking up seats in 2010 in both the House and Senate. Interesting results for a party you would like to pronounce dead. Oh, by the way, did you know more people now call themselves 'conservative' than this time last year, and the number of people calling themselves 'independent' has risen. Guess which group has declined since Nov 08- you guessed it, self-proclaimed 'liberals'.

Wow, Republicans have a hopeless future. Ridiculous.

They make get some "anybody but the incumbent" votes, but please do not mistake that for true support for an idealogically bankrupt and non-existant agenda.

I despise politicians who base their decisions solely on populism. However, the point is that people want health reform, but not this one, because it doesn't make sense. Whats the point of spending a trillion dollars that doesn't bring down health insurance premiums?

I wasn't debating that. Only the use of polls because so many people were up in arms when the Clinton Administration cited them as reasons for certain decisions.

What I don't get AD is that you are the moderator of PPP

Politics, POLLS and Pundits

now unless I am misunderstanding the usage of the word Polls, why the hell would you want to be the moderator of a messageboards concept you believe to be "stupid"?

I'm just sayin

I didn't name it. I also think politics and pundits (for the most part) are stupid.

He is well-compensated for his duties.

ahhh

Now that makes sense.

It would be somewhat baffling to me that someone would voluntarily be a moderator of a section of a forum that encourages people to post political polls to only criticize the posting of political polls.

More poll numbers

http://www.gallup.com/poll/122627/Obama-Jo...al-Down-49.aspx

The latest Gallup Daily tracking results show 49% of Americans approving of the job Barack Obama is doing as president, putting him below the majority approval level for the first time in his presidency.

Although the current decline below 50% has symbolic significance, most of the recent decline in support for Obama occurred in July and August. He began July at 60% approval. The ongoing, contentious debate over national healthcare reform has likely served as a drag on his public support, as have continuing economic problems. Americans are also concerned about the Obama administration's reliance on government spending to solve the nation's problems and the growing federal budget deficit. Since September, Obama's approval rating had been holding in the low 50s and, although it has reached 50% numerous times, it had never dropped below 50% until now.

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_con...l_tracking_poll

The Rasmussen Reports daily Presidential Tracking Poll for Friday shows that 27% of the nation's voters Strongly Approve of the way that Barack Obama is performing his role as President. Forty-one percent (41%) Strongly Disapprove giving Obama a Presidential Approval Index rating of -14 (see trends).

Today’s results match the lowest Approval Index rating yet recorded for this President and it’s the third straight day at -14. Prior to these three days, Obama’s ratings had fallen to -14 on only one day since taking office.

Overall, 47% of voters say they at least somewhat approve of the President's performance. Fifty-two percent (52%) now disapprove.

http://www.quinnipiac.edu/x1295.xml?ReleaseID=1397

November 18, 2009 - Obama Approval Dips Below 50% For First Time, Quinnipiac University National Poll Finds; Support For U.S. Troops In Afghanistan Drops Below 50%

President Barack Obama's job approval rating is 48 - 42 percent, the first time he has slipped below the 50 percent threshold nationally, according to a Quinnipiac University poll released today. Support for the war in Afghanistan and approval of President Obama's handling of the war also is down in the last month, and Republican support for the war is more than twice as strong as Democratic support.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,575852,00.html

President Obama's approval rating has hit a new low of 46 percent, according to a FOX News poll released Thursday. An equal number — 46 percent — disapprove of the job he's doing.

If they think that the Virginia and New Jersey Races had NOTHING to do with his unpopular policies, they better think again.

Also in regards to Blanche Lincoln in Arkansas.

http://www.zogby.com/news/ReadNews.cfm?ID=1770

In a telephone survey of 501 likely voters in Arkansas, conducted on November 16-17, 2009, voters reported opposing the healthcare changes with only 29% saying they backed it while 64% said they were opposed. Fifty percent of likely voters indicated strong opposition to the plan while only 17% indicated strong support.

In an initial match-up of Lincoln and possible Republican candidate State Senator Gilbert Baker, the incumbent, Lincoln, holds a narrow 41-39 lead.

But when voters were asked how they would vote in a Lincoln-Baker race if Lincoln voted in favor of the healthcare legislation, the incumbent Democrat fell behind her possible GOP challenger 37-49. In all, 48% of likely Arkansas voters said they would be less likely to back Lincoln's re-election if she supports the healthcare bill with 38% saying they were much less likely to support her in that event.

Keep up with the Liberals agenda, and she's out.

Unfortunately this isn't the case. They will most likely vote this Saturday to take it to the next level. Once it gets through, then they will vote on different amendments, and the public option most likely won't be included in the final Senate version. However, there will most likely be a bill that doesn't include the public option, and when it goes back to the House leaders they will negotiate the final version of the bill with the Senate and they will put the public option back in it.

Then it will go back for final vote in both the house and senate, except this time around, there is no opportunity for a fillerbuster, all they need is 50 votes and most likely all the moderates including Liebermann will vote against it, but it won't matter, because there will be enough votes to get it through, meanwhile the moderate democrats will have cover in the sense that they can go back to their constituents and say "you see, we voted against the public option" knowing damn well that the most important vote of them all will be the one this Saturday.

Once it gets through this Saturday, then the likelyhood of the bill passing with a public option goes up tremendously. If some of these moderates really wanted to do what is best for the country, not the democratic party, they wouldn't vote for it to go to final debate. What this would do is not Kill the Bill but force Senate Leadership to rethink their Bill.

It's going to go through, Democratic leadership is pressing them hard, and establishing a huge guilt trip against those who are thinking about voting against it, telling them "Do you want to be the one who killed Health Reform?"

What is sad about this is that most people don't want the bills that are being proposed, they want health reform, but not this one, and that has been proven poll after poll after poll.

I wanted to get more facts before I replied to this post. After doing that, the conclusion is that they're still going to have to go nuclear if they want to pass this thing in the Senate this time, and if it gets to it, again with the final bill, because there need to be 60 votes to prevent a filibuster both times (not just 50 the second time, as you said). The Republicans and Lieberman aren't voting for this bill period, regardless of whether there's a public option or not, and that means that at-best there are 59 votes. The Republicans realize that even without the PO, this is an albatross, and Lieberman has been getting tons of money from the insurance companies, and probably also knows this thing is a POS. Whether holdouts Nelson, Landrieu, and Lincoln vote for or against it is immaterial, although I suspect Lincoln will symbolically vote against it because she knows that Lieberman has already fallen on the sword. Of course if any of the Republicans breaks ranks, like that traitor Cao, or Lieberman bites the hand that feeds him, all bets are off.

Even in the House it will be tough getting the final bill passed because the sticking point will be the Stupak-Pitts amendment. It was a last-minute compromise to get the needed votes (along with essentially bribing Cao, like they're trying to do with Landrieu). But after the vote, several Democrats were told by anti-abortion support groups that their support of Stupak would make them stop endorsing them immediately, and they would endorse their challenger in the future. So that might produce a change of heart the 2nd time around, along with the anti-health reform sentiment among constituents. And I don't know if there was any fallout from Cao's constituents over voting for the bill, which could also make him change his mind the 2nd time around as well. Just 3 more "nay" votes and it dies in the House.

I wanted to get more facts before I replied to this post. After doing that, the conclusion is that they're still going to have to go nuclear if they want to pass this thing in the Senate this time, and if it gets to it, again with the final bill, because there need to be 60 votes to prevent a filibuster both times (not just 50 the second time, as you said). The Republicans and Lieberman aren't voting for this bill period, and that means that at-best there are 59 votes. They know that taking out the public option this time is trickeration, because it will show up again in the final bill, while at least the Republicans are against most everything else in the bill, and I suspect Liberman is as well. Whether Nelson, Landrieu, and Lincoln vote for or against it is immaterial, although I suspect Lincoln will symbolically vote against it because she knows that Lieberman has already fallen on the sword.

Even in the House it will be tough getting the final bill passed because the sticking point will be the Stupak-Pitts amendment. It was a last-minute compromise to get the needed votes (along with essentially bribing Cao, like they're trying to do with Landrieu). But after the vote, several Democrats were told by anti-abortion support groups that their support of Stupak would make them stop endorsing them immediately, and they would endorse their challenger in the future. So that might produce a change of heart the 2nd time around, along with the anti-health reform sentiment among constituents. And I don't know if there was any fallout from Cao's constituents over voting for the bill, which could also make him change his mind the 2nd time around as well. Just 3 more "nay" votes and it dies in the House.

I've spoken with countless aides to Senators over the last few weeks voicing my opposition, and I was told that they would need 60 votes for cloture for final debate then they would need another 60 votes to avoid the bill being fillerbustered, unless they go the route of reconciliation. If they wish not to go the route of reconciliation, then they may drop the "public option" just to get this bill passed.

But as I said earlier, once it goes to the house, both chambers will hammer out a compromise, and knowing that the House won't accept any bill without the "public option", they will most likely add it back in, and then at that point they would only need 51 votes, as they would most certainly go the nuclear route.

On a sidenote, some of these aides for these Senators are idiots, they don't even know the legislative process, I kept asking them questions and they would say "that is a good question, I should know this, hold on let me ask someone". or "I don't know, I believe....."

Either way, this nightmare of a bill is going to go through one way or another.

I've spoken with countless aides to Senators over the last few weeks voicing my opposition, and I was told that they would need 60 votes for cloture for final debate then they would need another 60 votes to avoid the bill being fillerbustered, unless they go the route of reconciliation. If they wish not to go the route of reconciliation, then they may drop the "public option" just to get this bill passed.

But as I said earlier, once it goes to the house, both chambers will hammer out a compromise, and knowing that the House won't accept any bill without the "public option", they will most likely add it back in, and then at that point they would only need 51 votes, as they would most certainly go the nuclear route.

On a sidenote, some of these aides for these Senators are idiots, they don't even know the legislative process, I kept asking them questions and they would say "that is a good question, I should know this, hold on let me ask someone". or "I don't know, I believe....."

Either way, this nightmare of a bill is going to go through one way or another.

You're right, the aides know nothing. Again, dropping the public option won't get the Republicans and Lieberman to change their minds. It will have to be nuclear the whole way through.

More poll numbers

http://www.gallup.com/poll/122627/Obama-Jo...al-Down-49.aspx

The latest Gallup Daily tracking results show 49% of Americans approving of the job Barack Obama is doing as president, putting him below the majority approval level for the first time in his presidency.

Of course, as high as they've been, it's not like they were going to go any higher.

Lieberman said something yesterday that resonated with me

"This is a radical departure from the way we've responded to the market in America in the past," Lieberman said Sunday on NBC's "Meet The Press." "We rely first on competition in our market economy. When the competition fails then what do we do? We regulate or we litigate….We have never before said, in a given business, we don’t trust the companies in it, so we’re going to have the government go into that business.."

:lol:

http://www.politico.com/politico44/perm/11...7553ca2739.html

Just 39 percent of white Americans now approve of President Obama's job performance, a steep drop-off of support since he was inaugurated in January, according to the latest Gallup Poll.

In his first full week in office, starting Jan. 26, just over six in 10 white people gave him their approval. Now that number is down to under four in 10, indicating a net drop of 22 points.

Black voters, meanwhile, have continued to support Obama to the tune of approximately 90 percent. And Democrats and liberals give Obama approval ratings of above 80 percent.

Cue that a liberal will call whites in America racists in 3,2,1.....

• 2 weeks later...

http://thehill.com/homenews/administration...pproval-ratings

A White House spokesman dismissed polling that shows President Barack Obama's approval rating at a new low.

A Gallup poll released Monday showed Obama’s overall approval rating dropped to 47 percent -- the lowest during his presidency.

On Tuesday morning White House press secretary Robert Gibbs compared the poll to a child's art work.

The president's approval ratings have declined throughout the year as debates over healthcare reform and Afghanistan have started to take their toll on Obama's popularity.

"That is similar to the December averages for Ronald Reagan (49 percent) and Bill Clinton (53 percent), who also took office when the economy was struggling," according to Gallup's analysis. "All other recent presidents elected to their first terms had approval averages of 57 percent or above in their first December in office."

But Gibbs said polls are fickle, and he does not put much thought into them.

"I don't put a lot of stake in it, never have," Gibbs said.

It's like the people are telling him, "NO, we don't like your policies" and Gibbs is saying "we don't believe it, naa na naa naaa" <_<