New Gallup Poll on Health Care Reform

Magox

http://www.gallup.com/poll/124202/No-Clear...are-Reform.aspx

Taking everything into account, if a new healthcare bill becomes law, do you think in the long run it will make your own health care situation better, would it not make much difference, or make it worse than it is now?

Survy says:

26% Better

31% Not much Difference

36% Worse

7% No opinion

I guess it all depends on where you look. I saw at least 2 polls that showed 54 to 56 % were in favor of the new healthcare bill. Both polls had over 150,000 participants.

How many were in the gallup poll? 500

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the poll was a CNN poll with only two questions.

1. Do you think Britany Spears is cool?

A. Yes

B. No

2. Are you in favor of the health reform bill?

A. Yes

B. No

In my newly awakened state I am learning what constitutes an accurate poll. Polling 150,000 people does not constitute an accurate poll simply because of the number of people polled. You can ask 150,000 which they prefer: the government run health care plan proposed by the House or the government-run health care plan proposed by the Senate. That doesn't mean you can release a report that says 98% of those polled prefer a government-run health care proposal.

But if it tells you what you want to hear, I guess that makes it a viable poll.

In my newly awakened state I am learning what constitutes an accurate poll. Polling 150,000 people does not constitute an accurate poll simply because of the number of people polled. You can ask 150,000 which they prefer: the government run health care plan proposed by the House or the government-run health care plan proposed by the Senate. That doesn't mean you can release a report that says 98% of those polled prefer a government-run health care proposal.

That's why many times polls are bull ****. They are so easily manipulated.

How about this one

http://www.forbes.com/feeds/ap/2009/11/10/...ll_7108601.html

They were more pessimistic about the direction of the country. They disapproved of Obama's handling of the economy a bit more than before. And, perhaps most striking for this novice commander in chief, more people have lost confidence in Obama on Iraq and Afghanistan over the last month. Overall, there's a public malaise about the state of the nation.

Hope and change were in vogue back then. But change didn't happen overnight, as the rhetoric of campaigning crashed headlong into the realities of governing. And hope slipped in a country that always has clung to it.

only 1006 people were polled, I guess this doesn't constitute a real poll :pirate:

and here's media matters bitter opinion regarding this poll:

http://mediamatters.org/blog/200911110004

More problems with the dismal AP report on the latest Obama polling numbers. CF already highlighted the article's bizarre and condescending use of the phrase "novice commander in chief" to describe the president. But the piece is also riddle with other problems.

Question: How many paragraphs does it take the AP's Liz Sidoti to report what Obama's latest job approval rating actually is?

Answer: Nine paragraphs.

That's sort of all you need to know about Sidoti's report, which paints an almost comically bleak picture of the political landscape that Obama now faces. (It's like Jimmy Carter-meets-Herbert Hoover.) Why is the nine-paragraph delay telling? Because if Obama's poll numbers had actually gone done, than that information would have been included very high in the AP dispatch; likely in the second or third paragraph.

bitter much? :lol:

and then they close it off with:

Like we said, Sidoti spins these numbers really, really hard.

I guess when he was talking about spinning the numbers "really really" hard, he was talking about this:

And some 56 percent of people say the country is heading in the wrong direction, an uptick from 51 percent last month and 49 percent in Obama's first month as president.

or this:

Those jobless figures help explain why as many people said the economy got worse in the past month as said it got better — and it's not many people who thought it got better, just 22 percent. Most say the economy stayed the same, and just 46 percent approve of how Obama is handling the economy, compared with 50 percent last month.

or this:

The nation also has grown more lukewarm on Obama and the wars as he tries to wind down the one in Iraq and considers ramping up the one in Afghanistan, Compared with October, 45 percent of people now disapprove of Obama's handling of Iraq, up from 37 percent; while 48 percent now disapprove of his handling of Afghanistan, up from 41 percent. A majority of Americans oppose both wars. And more than half — 54 percent — now oppose sending more troops to Afghanistan, an increase from 50 percent last month.

ya, that's spinning the polling numbers "really really hard". :lol:

who reads this ****? oh, that's right daeh sevig pohsib does

I've never seen a poll of 150,000 people, period. Why the hell would anyone go through the time and expense of gathering so much info that they couldn't effectively analyze it?

I've never seen a poll of 150,000 people, period. Why the hell would anyone go through the time and expense of gathering so much info that they couldn't effectively analyze it?

I don't believe he understand the concept and methods of polling

Here's another Gallup Poll, and it just keeps getting worse for the Libs

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=206...ZPrJA&pos=9

For the first time this year, more voters say they would support a Republican candidate for Congress next year instead of a Democrat, according to a Gallup poll.

The results predict a “likely strong Republican showing” in the November 2010 congressional elections, Gallup said. The Princeton, New Jersey-based polling organization said voter turnout will be crucial in determining who will win, particularly in highly contested elections.

If turnout patterns continue, the survey suggests that Democrats have “slim” prospects for a good showing in the 2010 mid-term election, Gallup said.

Independent voters tipped the scales in favor of the Republicans. The poll found that Republicans led Democrats among independents 52 percent to 30 percent, according to the telephone survey of 894 registered voters conducted Nov. 5-8.

This definitely isn't an endorsement for the Republicans, it's just that the Democrats are seen as the uglier of the two.

Oh but hold on, there weren't 150,000 people polled in this one. I guess that makes it illegitimate

You've obviously never seen a Facebook sex poll.

I've never even seen Facebook.

And it's going to stay that way, too. "Social networking site" is the penultimate oxymoron - if you're "networking" on the internet, you're not being social.* Facebook's just another step in the long downfall of American society than begain with AOL Instant Messenger.

*Yes, I'm aware of the immense irony of that statement. It's called a "double standard", and I stand by it.

I've never even seen Facebook.

And it's going to stay that way, too. "Social networking site" is the penultimate oxymoron - if you're "networking" on the internet, you're not being social.* Facebook's just another step in the long downfall of American society than begain with AOL Instant Messenger.

*Yes, I'm aware of the immense irony of that statement. It's called a "double standard", and I stand by it.

Typing on a stone tablet?

I like a 4 line post that needs a footnote.