40k more troops to Afghanistan

/dev/null

Well, I don't believe it was justified to go in to Iraq, specially considering the whole premise of the war was build around misinformation provided by our intelligence and a hard on to finish pappy's unfinished business. Having said that, I will never agree on the idea that a dictator should be ruling with oppressive brutal force over any country, even if it's a "shithole".

In regards to creating an independent Kurdistan, to quote some mexican in east L.A, no way jose that was gonna happen.

It wasn't a matter of a agreeing with it or not, it was an understanding of a reality that we could not control.

In the late 80's a Kurdish friend of mine who lives in LA(grew up in Chicago) told me of his Grandfathers dining room table ... He said it was an an unexploded missile that landed in his kitchen and sunk half way done into the floor (war prior to 1970). A piece of plywood later and it was a table.

Point being is that Kurdistan will never be at rest and when we pull from Iraq we'll see what Jose has to say then

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Raise your hand if you think Iraq and Afghanistan will be better off in 20 years than they were 8 years ago.

Iraq, yes.

Afghanistan - depends on your definition of "better off". Not by our standards, since they have no practical economic base and are rather permanently mired in the Mongolian era, socio-politically speaking. By their standards, however...

In the late 80's a Kurdish friend of mine who lives in LA(grew up in Chicago) told me of his Grandfathers dining room table ... He said it was an an unexploded missile that landed in his kitchen and sunk half way done into the floor (war prior to 1970). A piece of plywood later and it was a table.

I know that's probably not nearly as cool as it sounds...but I still want one. Make mine a Nike-Hercules, please.

It wasn't a matter of a agreeing with it or not, it was an understanding of reality that we could not control.

Point being is that Kurdistan will never be at rest and when we pull from Iraq we'll see what Jose has to say then

Two points, one that we did control the situation, so much so that the same mother!@#$er that brutalized these people, was hung publicly so that these same people could sit down on their carpets eating a bowl of baba ganoush watching it on the local town television. And secondly, I said "no way jose that was gonna happen" meaning that under Sadaam's watch, that would of never of happened.

Two points, one that we did control the situation, so much so that the same mother!@#$er that brutalized these people, was hung publicly so that these same people could sit down on their carpets eating a bowl of baba ganoush watching it on the local town television. And secondly, I said "no way jose that was gonna happen" meaning that under Sadaam's watch, that would of never of happened.

1 Right now as you type there are brutal beatings and killings going on between the sunni and shia ... as well as tribal clans still waging war. I am not defending Sadam but simply stating the killings post Sadam will greatly out number pro Sadam ... We already know this reality. It's just not Sadam doing it.

2 Gotcha

Since he said he'd be bringing troops home during the campaign and now is sending more, don't expect it to come true.

I can't believe we're 40 years from Vietnam, making perhaps dumber mistakes (with fewer deaths admittedly). Idiots.

Raise your hand if you think Iraq and Afghanistan will be better off in 20 years than they were 8 years ago.

Actually, I believe he at least argued on the campaign trail that Afghanistan is the right fight, and after listening to his speech tonight, I'll give him credit for being consistent in that his approach to Afghanistan seems a lot like his approach to the economy; in one case he says we need to spend to get out of a recession, which only makes sense to hardcore liberals hellbent on advanced control of the masses, and in the other case he says we need to increase troops to bring them home, and that actually makes some sense to me. I think just getting out now will only make things worse in the long term.

And make no mistake, I am only thinking for myself and I have no experience in this stuff, but I can understand the argument against giving a timeline for retreat. Obama's argument was, essentially, "This schiitt costs money and we can't spend any more so we need to bring the troops home," which was essentially said for his hard-core Pelosi liberals. But I saw a comment on the MSNBC site that I thought was funny, but probably true, when the person wrote "If I were Al Quaeda, I'd lay low in a cave until July 2011, and once the US is gone, bring it bigtime."

For a guy willing to prop up something like "Cash for Clunkers" as a sign that the economy is turning around, he'll be glad to let the enemy lay low and then go into 2011 saying "Look! Al Quaeda is on the run! We ended the war in Afghanistan!" so he can continue to slip by on perceived accomplishments.

Dude is awesome at this, but I doubt he'll be able to do this for much longer.

Iraq, yes.

Afghanistan - depends on your definition of "better off". Not by our standards, since they have no practical economic base and are rather permanently mired in the Mongolian era, socio-politically speaking. By their standards, however...

I should have framed the question as whether it was worth it to spend a gazillion dollars and lives to achieve whatever they will look like in 20 years.

I have no faith that Iraq can effectively resist Iran's aggression once we leave.

Afghanistan is less of a country than a region. You know more about it than me but I've read about it too. Bringing order to the "country" of Afghanistan is a dumb goal. The goal that might work is to provide regional bits of infrastructure like schools and medical facilities. Even giving those things doesn't mean that they won't fall into disrepair and disuse at our departure--or won't just be taken over by some regional interest.

Both endeavors are pouring American money and blood into sand/rocks.

It just goes to show you what frame of mind some liberals have towards our military.

That was a slip, and I have no doubt that he will say that it was taken out of context, but I won't be buying his bull ****.

You are making the same mistake that liberals do, in tying conservative's thoughts to what is on FOX news. I hate talking heads on both sides

You are making the same mistake that liberals do, in tying conservative's thoughts to what is on FOX news. I hate talking heads on both sides

!@#$ you buddy! I think for myself, and many times what I'm thinking becomes talking points before they air on television.

Look at what time I made that post, 11 in the morning, while I'm at work, which is before any of the talking heads were discussing it.

Also, look at what time I posted my opinion of BO's speech from yesterday, that's right, during the speech, or the 'We're screwed' thread, I posted it before Hannity mentioned it, or the health care debate in how they are fudging the numbers, or how competition wouldn't make a large difference in premiums and how having to cover people with pre existing conditions would raise most other people's premiums before the CBO came out with their score.