Supreme Court to decide whether life in prison

Beerball

Let them out. Let them establish a long rap sheet and inflict cruel and unusual punishment on innocent people.

America is obsessed with crime and punishment. And for all that, we keep making the same choices. Release offenders to burgle, rape, diddle children and murder once more.

Ninety percent of crime is committed by 10 percent of the population. As it currently functions, it's a big revolving door. If you were to lock up the 10 percent permanent-like, lawyers and judges will not have many clients left.

With ordinary catch-and-release keeping so many judges and lawyers in a job / in high demand, imagine what this has the potential to do! Also, make it illegal for anyone to defend themselves. (Don't have too much further to go in this regard). :thumbsup:

I hate what this country is fast becoming.

I think it should be clarified that what they are deciding is if Life in Prison without the possibility of parole is constitutional for a juvenile convicted of a non-homicide crime.

It isn't about releasing these 2, but rather, whether or not they should ever be allowed to have their sentence reviewed.

The one who was 13 at the time of the crime has been in jail for 21 years (for rape). I don't think anyone could argue that a 30, 40, or even 50 years sentence is justified, but he has been given what amounts to a death sentence.

The other ( the 17 year old) was given life without parole for armed robbery.

Again, the question is not should they be let go, but only that at some point they should be able to come before a parole board.

I think it should be clarified that what they are deciding is if Life in Prison without the possibility of parole is constitutional for a juvenile convicted of a non-homicide crime.

It isn't about releasing these 2, but rather, whether or not they should ever be allowed to have their sentence reviewed.

The one who was 13 at the time of the crime has been in jail for 21 years (for rape). I don't think anyone could argue that a 30, 40, or even 50 years sentence is justified, but he has been given what amounts to a death sentence.

The other ( the 17 year old) was given life without parole for armed robbery.

Again, the question is not should they be let go, but only that at some point they should be able to come before a parole board.

The article mentions a previous home invasion for the 17 year old. We don't know whether that was his first offense but I would guess no. No previous background is given for the 13 year old convicted of raping an elderly woman (he was judged incorrigible) but I can guarantee you I wouldn't want him anywhere near an elderly family member.

Taking away the ability to sentence anyone, regardless of age, to life without parole is not a good idea.(IMO)

I thought that was the whole idea of PRISON! Cruel AND Unusual! If you do the Crime.........

Only if you are poor or got caught with a baggie of weed. If you wear a suit and drive a Mercedes (or have someone else drive it for you) a different set of rules apply.

PTR

The article mentions a previous home invasion for the 17 year old. We don't know whether that was his first offense but I would guess no. No previous background is given for the 13 year old convicted of raping an elderly woman (he was judged incorrigible) but I can guarantee you I wouldn't want him anywhere near an elderly family member.

Taking away the ability to sentence anyone, regardless of age, to life without parole is not a good idea.(IMO)

Normally I take the stance of "screw em" on this type of questions, but I do kind of agree that taking away the possibility of parole seems too far in some cases.

For starters, I think it's time they officially lower the age of "minor" (I know some states have already done this for certain crime). I think 16 is plenty old enough to make the right decisions, especially when it comes to major crimes.

After that, I don't see the harm in allowing someone to take a look at the case sometime down the line as long as they stick firm to a minumum sentence (if it's no parole for at least 30 years, don't give them after 20 for good behavior or something). IMO, if you are going to give a 13 yo a life sentence with no possibility of parole, you might as well just kill him and stop the pretenses.

What they should do is torture and kill every one of these jerks. Every single one. It would be cruel but it would also be COMMON. Cruel and common is not banned.

How about savage and ordinary? Just put them in a big pile and let them whomp up on each other.