Roofing

mead107

Started roofing on Sat. Ripped off the front and replaced 4 sheets of plywood. shingled 13sq Sunday and ripped off the back 6sq way. Over weight and getting to old for for this. This weekend I have to fix the living room ceiling from the leaking roof.

Thank God for good brothers that have helped.

Started roofing on Sat. Ripped off the front and replaced 4 sheets of plywood. shingled 13sq Sunday and ripped off the back 6sq way. Over weight and getting to old for for this. This weekend I have to fix the living room ceiling from the leaking roof.

Yup....roofing sucks....I have to replace some shingles on my porch next weekend, should only take a couple of hours though. Stay safe Mead :thumbsup: .

You're installing a ridge vent, I trust...

You're installing a ridge vent, I trust...

Good advice, my house is only 13yrs old however the shingles started really curling & I had to get a new roof. My friend did it but said 2 problems, first the company that built the house used cheap shingles & 2nd they never put any ridge vents in. He said that is why the shingles were curling so much. Put the ridge vents in. You will not be sorry.

Good advice, my house is only 13yrs old however the shingles started really curling & I had to get a new roof. My friend did it but said 2 problems, first the company that built the house used cheap shingles & 2nd they never put any ridge vents in. He said that is why the shingles were curling so much. Put the ridge vents in. You will not be sorry.

Not sure what a ridge vent has to do with curling shingles...?

I dont know what a ridge vent has to do with curling shingles either but that is what my friend told me. I am not a roofing expert, hence that is why I got my friend to do my roof.

Proper ventilation allows for heat to escape from within the attic. The temperature buildups inside the attic can be tremendous and cause damage to the roofing material from underneath.

Proper venting will allow the attic to cool in the summer and because there won't be heat build-up (heat being trapped) in the attic in the winter (from heat rising in the house) you don't get a lot of ice buildup in your gutters from snow on the roof melting from underneath.

Proper ventilation allows for heat to escape from within the attic. The temperature buildups inside the attic can be tremendous and cause damage to the roofing material from underneath.

Proper venting will allow the attic to cool in the summer and because there won't be heat build-up (heat being trapped) in the attic in the winter (from heat rising in the house) you don't get a lot of ice buildup in your gutters from snow on the roof melting from underneath.

Got it. Never heard of shingles curling on a young roof, ventilation or not. I'd guess it was a hack job with poor materials, there...

Yes to the ridge vent. That I will do tomorrow. All buttoned up so it can rain. The dormer is rubber and still in good shape. I will have 5sq to do next summer that goes around the dormer. Wife is happy not to have the blue tarp on the roof. Last did the roof 22 years ago when we put on the big addition. 25 year shingles from IKO went bad about 4 years ago.

Got it. Never heard of shingles curling on a young roof, ventilation or not. I'd guess it was a hack job with poor materials, there...

Funny thing is, my developement is 15yrs old(I bought my house 4yrs ago) & just about every house in the developement got their roof done over the last 2yrs. My friend was saying that one of the first thing house builders do to save cost is put on cheap shingles. He said it would only probably cost $500-$1000 extra to put on the 30yr shingles but noone ever thinks about that when they are building a house. I would think a roof should last more then 15yrs but I guess in our harsh winters, 15yr shingles only probably last 11-12 years in some cases.

• 2 weeks later...
Funny thing is, my developement is 15yrs old(I bought my house 4yrs ago) & just about every house in the developement got their roof done over the last 2yrs. My friend was saying that one of the first thing house builders do to save cost is put on cheap shingles. He said it would only probably cost $500-$1000 extra to put on the 30yr shingles but noone ever thinks about that when they are building a house. I would think a roof should last more then 15yrs but I guess in our harsh winters, 15yr shingles only probably last 11-12 years in some cases.

Not all shingle brands are the same in quality. I stay away from Atlas, IKO, BP and some others. I would guess your house in Lancaster had IKO's on. Ridge venting is the best venting IF you have proper soffit venting. This year, on some of my customers house's (boy do I love some of the big roofing companie$ in WNY) I have had to remove gutters, facia metal, and vented soffit panels (added $$ to the homeowner) so that I could properly cut out the wood under the VENTED SOFFIT panels which the other in$talling contractor FAILED to do. Proper soffit venting is key.

If you have Box or Mushroom venting near your peak, look around the vent. If you see a black ring around your vents, super heated exhaust air, chances are you are under vented. Add more venting.

The roof on my house, high wind area, no shade so the sun blasted it for 24 years. It was rated for 25 years.

It could have lasted longer but I had some down time so I decided to replace it with a 50 year ELK High Def. shingle.

On a side note, use GRACE Ice and Water shield. It's the best and worth the price.

Yes to the ridge vent. That I will do tomorrow. All buttoned up so it can rain. The dormer is rubber and still in good shape. I will have 5sq to do next summer that goes around the dormer. Wife is happy not to have the blue tarp on the roof. Last did the roof 22 years ago when we put on the big addition. 25 year shingles from IKO went bad about 4 years ago.

When installing a ridge vent make sure you close off your gable vents. Also makes sure you have proper soffit (intake) venting. The goal is to draw cooler air at the soffit, while exhausting at the ridge.