Our Government Being Weenies Again

Chef Jim

If it's an epidemic, do something about it.

Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood and Federal Communications Commission Chairman Julius Genachowski said Wednesday that texting while driving is an epidemic, but they declined to endorse proposals that would pressure states to ban the practice.

Instead, LaHood and Genachowski said they favor public education to curb distracted driving and said Congress shouldn't withhold federal highway funding from states that fail to ban texting behind the wheel.

So instead of making it illegal which would be a better deterrent and raise money by fining people, they're going to go feel good and costly route by doing a educational campaign. What a bunch of weenies.

So instead of making it illegal which would be a better deterrent and raise money by fining people, they're going to go feel good and costly route by doing a educational campaign. What a bunch of weenies.

I can hear the kids now:

Barack Hussein Obama. Mmmmmm. Mmmmm. Mmmmm.

No. Texting. In. The. Car. Mmmm. Mmmm. Mmmmmm.

If you text in the car. Mmmm. Mmmm. Mmmmm.

It's like hunting with Dick Cheney. Mmmm. Mmmm. Mmmm.

Then there's New York State's tough stance on the issue: It is a secondary law here, so one can't be stopped and ticketed solely for texting. However, I think if you cause a multi-car pileup with injuries, the officer on the scene can add texting while driving to the list of charges.

It's part of New York's "Velvet Hammer" initiative to decrease driving distractions....

I can hear the kids now:

Barack Hussein Obama. Mmmmmm. Mmmmm. Mmmmm.

No. Texting. In. The. Car. Mmmm. Mmmm. Mmmmmm.

If you text in the car. Mmmm. Mmmm. Mmmmm.

It's like hunting with Dick Cheney. Mmmm. Mmmm. Mmmm.

You're on a roll :lol:

I actually support that position, if only because there's 90 other ways to be fatally distracted while driving a car that aren't covered under a "no texting while driving" law. Can't we just make it illegal to do anything other than operate a motor vehicle while operating a motor vehicle?

I actually support that position, if only because there's 90 other ways to be fatally distracted while driving a car that aren't covered under a "no texting while driving" law. Can't we just make it illegal to do anything other than operate a motor vehicle while operating a motor vehicle?

Would that include changing the radio when a crappy song or comemrcial comes on?

Right now, there are more accidents due to people fumbling with the radio dial than texting ....

Right now, there are more car accidents due to people driving than anything else. You have to draw a line somewhere. I think drawing a line at "operating equipment that is not an integrated component of the automobile, or performing a task that is not related to the operation of a motor vehicle and it's integral equipment" is as good a line as any. Covers texting, reading, changing a baby's diaper, applying makeup, holding a business meeting, and knitting (which I've actually seen drivers doing).

The bottom line is: what's wrong with one law that simply says "Don't be a friggin' dumbass"? Why do we need a separate law for each and every single distinct instance of friggin' dumbass behavior?

The bottom line is: what's wrong with one law that simply says "Don't be a friggin' dumbass"? Why do we need a separate law for each and every single distinct instance of friggin' dumbass behavior?

I believe that this law already exists, along with other laws that control drivers' actions. That's why we need more laws to cover up for the laws that aren't being obeyed.