Brandon Spikes eye gouge

Beerball

I really don't get how people are willing to accept this as ok. He tried to gouge his eyes!

When Marcus Vick did his foot stomp, it was a huge deal. Yes, I know he already had a ton of issues and it was a last straw situation. But that stuff is nuts. That's not football. That's assault. And eye gouging is much worse in my opinion. Am I crazy?

No .... recognize that it is a very physical game but to your points that physicality should occur during play and it should not be with the specific intent to hurt someone. If he acted this way on the street he would be subject to arrest for assault.

Spikes reportedly went to his coaches and said he didn't want to be a distraction so he asked that he not play the entire game vs. Vandy. They have agreed that he will sit the entire game.

The school & HC really screwed the pooch on this one. That behavior doesn't belong anywhere on a football field at any time. A 1/2 game suspension or a 1 game suspension really isn't enough (IMO).

I would assume that he'll never repeat the eye gouge & hopefully he controls himself enough to become an impact player in the NFL. He'll get drafted high (this shouldn't and won't hurt his status) and it wouldn't bother me if it was by the Bills.

Spikes reportedly went to his coaches and said he didn't want to be a distraction so he asked that he not play the entire game vs. Vandy. They have agreed that he will sit the entire game.

The school & HC really screwed the pooch on this one. That behavior doesn't belong anywhere on a football field at any time. A 1/2 game suspension or a 1 game suspension really isn't enough (IMO).

I would assume that he'll never repeat the eye gouge & hopefully he controls himself enough to become an impact player in the NFL. He'll get drafted high (this shouldn't and won't hurt his status) and it wouldn't bother me if it was by the Bills.

Good for him, at least he is stepping up and trying to do the right thing.

I remember reading about a "football" player named John Hopoate down in Australia who was caught multiple times... um... doing free prostate exams on players from opposing teams

That was most likely Rugby rather than Aussie Rules. I always used to wonder what they did in those scrums. Thanks for enlightening me Jay.... :thumbsup: