One Hundred Things Restaurant Staffers Should

erynthered

Ahh, to be a youngin like Sage :sick: Ses Sage, I can be a real pain da rear when I am eating out as well, but all depends on what I am paying. If my wife and I are spending $150-$200 before tip, and the wait staff is expecting at least 20% on top, dam right they better be dam close to perfect and make my evening as enjoyable as possible. And I usually go closer to to 25% when I think the service is good to great..and 10-15% when less than stellar.

If I am spending $50 at the Cheesecake Factory for the wife and the kids..I do not expect the same level of service. Pretty standard 20% there for me all the time

You can take the clan to cheescake land for $50? Must be young'uns who do not eat much.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can take the clan to cheescake land for $50? Must be young'uns who do not eat much.

Well, that includes a drink for Mom and dad as well. We have just learned that we can order two entress/sandwiches/pastas etc and that is more than enough food for 4 at that place. And we are not dainty eaters, but that place can pile othe food on a plate no?

I have only one pet peeve. Lets say the bill came to $55 and you put down a $100.

I hate it when they pick up the bill and money and say "do you want any change". that just sets me right off.

Just say I will be right back with your change. That way I can say you are all set.

I'd say most of those are common sense.

I would disagree with not using the same glass for a drink. Some drinkers like to keep the same glass. That one seems to be a matter of preference, although those folks tend to specify that they wish to use the same glass.

Guilty...figure I'm better off minimizing chances for something bad, just stick with the devil I started with.

Obviously you don't know the contempt the back of the house has for the front of the house in the restaurant business.

Tis true. My father was a chef for a time, before I was born and when I was very young, and he still refers to the front of the house as "waitscum" once in a while.

Obviously you don't know the contempt the back of the house has for the front of the house in the restaurant business.

Why? Seriously, I guess I always assumed that they had to work in harmony. Why does the back of the house hate the front of the house?

Why? Seriously, I guess I always assumed that they had to work in harmony. Why does the back of the house hate the front of the house?

I do understand that, what I am saying is, you are cooking for them (the customer), they are superior by default.

#18 is my personal peeve. I will not respond if asked. You, waitstaff, took the order - you should know numbnut.

It's one thing to expect a person to remember a drink order, but actually refusing to respond when asked? What is the purpose of that? You're crazy if you think it means you're are going to get better service for the rest of the meal.

Seeing you asked twice it must be an important question for you. :sick:

Couple of reasons. Some I would admit is jealously and some is true contempt. First the kitchen crew showed up much earlier than the waitstaff. Often 5 or 6 hours before. We'd have busted our butts getting set up for dinner and they'd come rolling in. You smelled them first. They felt that several douses of really cheap cologne would get them higher tips I guess. They'd start hounding us for free handouts, and this was before they even clocked in...bastards. Then we'd be stuck in the hot kitchen burning and cutting ourselves and for what? Two free meals a day and $8 an hour, well at least when I was younger. Then they'd finish, count their several hundred dollars in tips and split. We'd be left to clean up several hours after they left. That was probably the jealously part.

The contempt part? We did it because we loved it. We loved to cook for people, make them happy, make them want to come back. It was us the customers actually came for. Not Troy the gay mother !@#$er from Detroit who always wanted to act. They didn't give a ****, it was just a gig to them to pay the bills. I know I've told my story here before how if food sat under the heat lamp too long I'd find the waiter who it belonged to and ask them if they were an actor. Of course they'd all say yes, then I'd tell them to act like a !@#$ing waiter and get the food out of my kitchen before it got ruined. Contempt....yes the contempt

I remember one night I came back to the kitchen to get something I had forgotten. I walk in and there was this munchkin of a frog in his penquin suit standing at the mesquite grill cooking up some steaks. How he got into the locked refrigerator I don't remember but the look of abject fear on his face when he saw me come in was priceless. Lucky for him I had an opened beer back home across the street I needed to get back to or he'd be the second person killed in that restaurant. The first one? Nasty work by the sous chef. I always wondered why when we had such nice sharp knives why he used his bare hands. Oh well I digress.

Yes sometimes we worked in harmony but usually we put up with each other for the good of the business. Waiters...pffffff, what a bunch of fags.

Seeing you asked twice it must be an important question for you. :devil:

Couple of reasons. Some I would admit is jealously and some is true contempt. First the kitchen crew showed up much earlier than the waitstaff. Often 5 or 6 hours before. We'd have busted our butts getting set up for dinner and they'd come rolling in. You smelled them first. They felt that several douses of really cheap cologne would get them higher tips I guess. They'd start hounding us for free handouts, and this was before they even clocked in...bastards. Then we'd be stuck in the hot kitchen burning and cutting ourselves and for what? Two free meals a day and $8 an hour, well at least when I was younger. Then they'd finish, count their several hundred dollars in tips and split. We'd be left to clean up several hours after they left. That was probably the jealously part.

The contempt part? We did it because we loved it. We loved to cook for people, make them happy, make them want to come back. It was us the customers actually came for. Not Troy the gay mother !@#$er from Detroit who always wanted to act. They didn't give a ****, it was just a gig to them to pay the bills. I know I've told my story here before how if food sat under the heat lamp too long I'd find the waiter who it belonged to and ask them if they were an actor. Of course they'd all say yes, then I'd tell them to act like a !@#$ing waiter and get the food out of my kitchen before it got ruined. Contempt....yes the contempt

I remember one night I came back to the kitchen to get something I had forgotten. I walk in and there was this munchkin of a frog in his penquin suit standing at the mesquite grill cooking up some steaks. How he got into the locked refrigerator I don't remember but the look of abject fear on his face when he saw me come in was priceless. Lucky for him I had an opened beer back home across the street I needed to get back to or he'd be the second person killed in that restaurant. The first one? Nasty work by the sous chef. I always wondered why when we had such nice sharp knives why he used his bare hands. Oh well I digress.

Yes sometimes we worked in harmony but usually we put up with each other for the good of the business. Waiters...pffffff, what a bunch of fags.

Dude, that was beautiful! :sick::beer::w00t::doh:

It is absolutely the chefs and the food that people go to a place for. the waitstaff is there to not !@#$ it up...

Seeing you asked twice it must be an important question for you. :sick:

Great stuff. Loved reading that.