Shock/Denial/Anger/Acceptance

LGB

Yes, Bill’s fans - we were in shock (as probably was Trent Edwards) to learn that this year we would be starting an OL with little or no NFL game experience.

We were in denial that this season would be another 7-9 (or worse) year.

We were angry as fans that we have done our part by selling out the stadium, buying into the Bill’s marketing hoopla, only to suffer through more horrible performances.

But alas, as we walked out of the stadium yesterday, we started to accept the fact that until there is a change in ownership/personnel, this is one ticket not worth buying.

what part of the past decade of local NFL football do people have difficulty comprehending?

:censored:

don't take my response as me mocking the "seven stages of grief" ... but the offensive coordinator is canned just before the start of the season and the team sends a starting offensive tackle out the door. these are decisions made in the spring, not late August. Bills, yet again only have themselves to blame for their idiocy. ...Decade of Fail indeed.

what part of the past decade of local NFL football do people have difficulty comprehending?

:censored:

don't take my response as me mocking the "seven stages of grief" ... but the offensive coordinator is canned just before the start of the season and the team sends a starting offensive tackle out the door. these are decisions made in the spring, not late August. Bills, yet again only have themselves to blame for their idiocy. ...Decade of Fail indeed.

Yes and by late August all of the tickets have been sold so the Bills went ahead with their Plan A foolishness with little regard for Plan B (sign some experience) - if the season tanked.

And yet fans who came here to question the direction of the team were criticized as being pessimistic, negative, and stuck in the past.

Many of those fans said an OL with essentially 3 rookies would not be able protect their QB and open up running lanes.

Many of those fans said DJ would not get any better in his 9th full NFL season as a HC.

Many of those fans asked how a marketing man masquerading as a GM with close oversight from the 91 year old owner would turn this team around. All the while having Tom Donahoe era personnel men working for him.

These fans don't need apologies because they knew before the season began that this team was in serious trouble. What's pathetic is that some fans who criticized them now are nowhere to be found. And that is what it is.

I long ago went through all of the steps, but decided to go back and hang out in Anger for a while.

When the braintrust traded Jason Peters and cut Langston Walker the owner made an additional 4-5 millions dollars off of the diminishing payroll. Trading Peters without having a credible fallback position was idiotic. Letting Langston Walker go, even if he was a sub for both tackle positions, would have given the team some depth if there were injuries or inadequate play by the inexperienced LT Bell.

Right now the play of the OL is at a USFL caliber because of some reckless "financial" decisions by the front office. Whatever abilities the mediocre qbs have, or the backs and receivers have are squandered because the line can't block well enough to give those skill players a decent chance to perform. Pititful, just pitiful! :censored:

And yet fans who came here to question the direction of the team were criticized as being pessimistic, negative, and stuck in the past.

Many of those fans said an OL with essentially 3 rookies would not be able protect their QB and open up running lanes.

Many of those fans said DJ would not get any better in his 9th full NFL season as a HC.

Many of those fans asked how a marketing man masquerading as a GM with close oversight from the 91 year old owner would turn this team around. All the while having Tom Donahoe era personnel men working for him.

These fans don't need apologies because they knew before the season began that this team was in serious trouble. What's pathetic is that some fans who criticized them now are nowhere to be found. And that is what it is.

BillsVet, I took a lot of punches for stating the obvious. Anyone who has watched the wretched performances of the Bills this season recognizes that this team is little better than an expansion team. :censored:

Luckily for me, after last year, I finally was able to start this season with NO expectations at all, so this season does not hurt. I expected nothing and I got it.

I still am a Bills fan, and will be until I die or they move. I follow my usual NFL season routine, watch all the games on tv, go to one or two at home... but the excitement is gone. I do not count a game as a win until the clock is at 0:00 and the Bills scored the most points.

This is the year I realized Ralph Wilson will never do what an owner must do to win the Ring: hire the best coach and GM he can find, sit back and write checks to pay for the best players they can sign within cap rules, and and just *enjoy* football again.

The SMARTEST owners are still not the best GMs or coaches. Scrimping on players is fine if winning is not your goal.

You get what you pay for, and all we have is a couple limousines and a dozen Yugos.

Yes, Bill’s fans - we were in shock (as probably was Trent Edwards) to learn that this year we would be starting an OL with little or no NFL game experience.

We were in denial that this season would be another 7-9 (or worse) year.

We were angry as fans that we have done our part by selling out the stadium, buying into the Bill’s marketing hoopla, only to suffer through more horrible performances.

But alas, as we walked out of the stadium yesterday, we started to accept the fact that until there is a change in ownership/personnel, this is one ticket not worth buying.

Totally disagree with your statement.

First the fans were in SHOCK that Jauron was not fired at the end of the seaon.

Then after the signing of TO the fans were in DENIAL somehow believing things would change and evans would look like a #1 finally and it was not a Marketing ploy.

Then we were ANGRY that they completley revamped the line and traded away their favorite player in JP who was lazy and undeserving of great money in the year he was asking for it.

But the fans will never ACCEPT the fact that things will never change in this organiztion until RW changes. Becuase the same fans believed after two straight wins that this atrocious offense was capable of winning more games under an inept HC and make the impossible playoff run.

Becuase the same fans believed after two straight wins that this atrocious offense was capable of winning more games under an inept HC and make the impossible playoff run.

I was in total disbelief the past few weeks reading in here about ending up with 10 or more wins this season, and the playoff what-if's etc. But the hard core Billievers really only need the smallest shred of hope. And if that shred does not exist, then they will make one up. God bless their blind loyalty. The deserve far better than they are getting from this Bills organization.

Luckily for me, after last year, I finally was able to start this season with NO expectations at all, so this season does not hurt. I expected nothing and I got it.

I still am a Bills fan, and will be until I die or they move. I follow my usual NFL season routine, watch all the games on tv, go to one or two at home... but the excitement is gone. I do not count a game as a win until the clock is at 0:00 and the Bills scored the most points.

This is the year I realized Ralph Wilson will never do what an owner must do to win the Ring: hire the best coach and GM he can find, sit back and write checks to pay for the best players they can sign within cap rules, and and just *enjoy* football again.

The SMARTEST owners are still not the best GMs or coaches. Scrimping on players is fine if winning is not your goal.

You get what you pay for, and all we have is a couple limousines and a dozen Yugos.

Living in the Philadelphia area I am afforded the luxury of watching a team that is committed to winning. The Bills haven't been that way in for years and years. For example, Eagles lose two of their starting LB's at the start of the season...because they realized not doing anything would jeopardize their chances at winning a SB they signed Trotter of the street and made a trade for Will Witherspoon who has been an absolute beast since signing. What did the bills do when the OL starting cracking with Injuries??? Or lost Poz and Mitchell to injury??? Chris Draft and Jamon Meredith don't count...the answer is nothing. The Bills are not committed to winning and need to start from scratch again next year...I'm disgusted.

BillsVet, if I may, the criticism that you and several posters like you have faced has more to do with how you make your argument not so much the argument itself. You seldomly, if ever, say anything positive about the team. Every post, in every thread is a negative comment about the FO and/or HC. Someone can start something as trivial as an "I like this player's shoes" thread, and your contribution will be along the lines of "yeah but the FO is a joke for blah, blah, blah...".

Myself, and many others, agree that there are serious problems with the FO, with the HC, with the team. However, occasionally, they do do something right. No one is ever 100% wrong in every instance. And that is precisely what your posting history consists of... pointing out in every instance bad decisions.

Please, don't take this as a personal attack. I have no beef with you, I appreciate your opinion. More often than not, your opinion has been highy accurate. However, the way in which you state your opinion tends to dilute its message. If the Bills draft someone that's a bad pick and you state it, you'll receive criticism. But, only because you state all the picks are bad, all the moves are bad, all the decisions are bad. So, in a way, it tends to fall on deaf ears after a while. Kinda like... "oh BillsVet doesn't like the pick, well, duh, he doesn't like anything they do".

I guess all I'm saying is although you may be 100% right, don't be surprised that people don't rush to suport you and not because they disagree with you, but mostly because they've stoped listening. If that makes any sense.

Living in the Philadelphia area I am afforded the luxury of watching a team that is committed to winning. The Bills haven't been that way in for years and years. For example, Eagles lose two of their starting LB's at the start of the season...because they realized not doing anything would jeopardize their chances at winning a SB they signed Trotter of the street and made a trade for Will Witherspoon who has been an absolute beast since signing. What did the bills do when the OL starting cracking with Injuries??? Or lost Poz and Mitchell to injury??? Chris Draft and Jamon Meredith don't count...the answer is nothing. The Bills are not committed to winning and need to start from scratch again next year...I'm disgusted.

Yes, the Bills are only committed to selling tickets with winning a secondary consideration and the sooner the paying folks realize that, maybe the sooner that the fans might be able to hold the Bills to a higher standard.

The Browns are another team like the Bills and look at what they are doing: They are basically flushing this season down the drain and instead of paying Brady Quinn with clauses that kick in based on playing time, are going to stick with Derek Anderson who is just unbelievably bad.

The Bills look like a shell of an NFL team right now; a collection of rookies and bench sitters coached by a lame figure head and are to the point where people off the street will have to be given free tickets and free parking just to put fans in the stands for the Toronto game.

Sing it brother, sing it!

Yes, the Bills are only committed to selling tickets with winning a secondary consideration and the sooner the paying folks realize that, maybe the sooner that the fans might be able to hold the Bills to a higher standard.

The Browns are another team like the Bills and look at what they are doing: They are basically flushing this season down the drain and instead of paying Brady Quinn with clauses that kick in based on playing time, are going to stick with Derek Anderson who is just unbelievably bad.

The Bills look like a shell of an NFL team right now; a collection of rookies and bench sitters coached by a lame figure head and are to the point where people off the street will have to be given free tickets and free parking just to put fans in the stands for the Toronto game.

Yes, it is indeed sad.

The GM-by-committee is truly the cause of the entire lack of centralized direction the Bills have been suffering from since AJ Smith and Butler left.

Donahoe may have scared the panties off of Ralph with 1 person with absolute power, but truly he has to now see that 5 years of the same result with GM-by-committee does not work, either.

This is a huge offseason for the Bills. And I hope for the fans.

There are a plethora (ha! I said it!) of quality HC's available. GM's are available. John Butler has since passed away. AJ Smith would never leave the beautiful confines of San Diego for Buffalo, and only if Ralph passes would Polian ever return.

But Nix is back. And if Modrak and Guy are fired, along with Jauron, the room will be swept clear of iniquity and a real GM like Floyd Reese, Ron Wolf, or former Bucs GM Allen can be brought in. Coaches like Holmgren, Shanahan, Gruden, Fisher, and Shottenheimer will be available. Tony Dungy is in retirement. Herm Edwards is out there, as well. Either one of these men would restore order and help create a culture of winning at OBD. A real GM and scouting staff and PROFESSIONAL PLAYER SCOUT would fix our decade of ills with poor drafting and poor free agent signings.

Its time for a change.