my favorite day of the year, hands down

an ode to Save an Hour of Sleep Sunday, my favoritest day of the year:

there is no day, birthday, holiday or anniversary that comes around once a year that is better, in my humble opinion, then what tomorrow (Nov. 1) brings, when we save an hour of sleep.

you can ask Santa for whatever you want, cars, chocolates or pickup sticks, but he can't deliver a longer day, a free hour in which you can do whatever it is that you want with.

for all those days in which we wake up, look at the clock and wish we could have an extra hour of snooze time, well, here it is.

we can fritter it away by sleeping in, when in fact you're not sleeping in. use it as a hangover remedy, find time to make breakfast, read, have an extra beer or three before tailgating, you name it, it's yours for free.

ah, and they say you can't stop time, well, they're wrong once a year.

in fact, if i have the privilege of ever making it to St. Pete's gate (and i know the jury's out on that one), well, i hope it happens during the time before that dreaded lose an hour of sleep sunday, because i'll feel ripped off.

because, as much as i like Save an Hour of Sleep Sunday, i absolutely hate its spring counterpart. and i have come up with a potential solution to make lose an hour of sleep sunday a little more manageable.

why The Man has determined that we lose that hour on "Our Time," is beyond me, and why there have been no revolts in the streets in regards to this is very much infuriating. the way it should work is we should be allowed to lose the hour on, say, a friday afternoon, say 4 p.m. -- when the clock hits 4, it suddenly becomes 5 and, for many of us, it's time to go home, hit the bars, add a few more responses to "The Last Post Wins" thread, whatever.

it's totally unfair, and likely the work of the right-wing (i kid, i kid), that we have that hour ripped from us during OUR weekend.

but that is all for another day. on this weekend, i choose to use my time unwisely for an hour, by posting this note, and yet, at this point, i can bank it and still have time to spare for tomorrow, the best day of the year.

jw

Halloween is by far my favorite holiday. Even good girls dress up like sluts and its not over blown like Christmas (I mean honestly September 1st is when stores start pimping X-mas stuff by December 25th you are just sick of the 4 month build up). Even kids get to enjoy the holiday by Trick or Treating and of course mischief night.

Another thing I love about Halloween is the horror movies on TV and Halloween specials are sooo much better than X-mas specials. Thanksgiving is cool but just not as cool as Halloween. Honestly Halloween just has something for everyone and it isn't hyped up and overblown its really the best holiday out there.

My favorite day of the year is the extra hour day, John.

And, my least favorite holiday, by far, is Halloween..........It's not overblown? Are you kidding me. I was born in '62, so when I was a kid it was a kid's holiday. Not a full month of huge blow up ghosts and creeps on everybody's front lawn, with the stuff coming out right after Labor Day now..............A holiday to celebrate death and fear. The two worst things about life. Bah, humbug.

Mary Kunz in the News said one year - can't holidays ever get smaller instead of bigger?