Fitzpatrick's Mechanics

Ok, it's time for me to start studying Fitz more carefully - if the Bills win tomorrow, he'll likely stay on for awhile. A couple of observations, not sure if they've been mentioned here before but I wanted to see what the Board thinks.

First, his arm. There's something weird about his arm. Per Len P's Tip Sheet this week, some of the Bills' coaches think that Fitz's arm is stronger than Trent's and better suited to the winds of Western New York. And we all saw that dart he threw to Evans for a TD last week. But here's my thing: doesn't it seem like his short passes are lasers, but his deep outs tend to float? Why is it? Can a QB have a super-strong arm for short and intermediate passes but a noodle arm for deep passes? I don't know that I've ever seen that before, although maybe Flutie was an example. I guess. He had that quick sidearm that he'd throw for the slants. Thoughts?

Second, his backpedaling. Is it me or does Fitz have the weirdest, slowest backpedal of any QB ever? It's almost like he walks slowly on the backpedal, especially on handoffs. The timing is VERY odd to me. He snaps the ball and just seems to stop, then slowly drift backwards. It's very odd, especially for a guy considered to be mobile. It's definitely the opposite of Losman's backpedal - he would immediately sprint backwards at the snap, which as we know messed up the timing of the entire offense. Anyone else find Fitz's backpedal very strange?

Other thoughts?

I actually think that Fitzy's drop back is pretty quick and regular. The oddest thing about his mechanics is his throw. He seems to decide where the pass is gonna go immediately, then pulls back and releases instantly and without really stepping into it. I think this is his greatest strength because DB's don't have time to read the play and pass rushers get frustrated that they can't get the sacks they're expecting. Trent on the other hand, never frustrates pass rushers, and is very easy to read because he stares down on primary receivers and has a slow, obvious release. The best thing about having a wacky release is the throw is never to an obvious target.

Ok, it's time for me to start studying Fitz more carefully

No thanks...as soon as the offense hits the field I go drain the vein....by the time I get back the O is back on the bench :worthy:

My suggestion? Cut down on the Mexican food.