Another Kicker makes the Norwood List

millbank

Add Saskatchewan's Paul McCallum to the list of Scott Norwood, Bill Buckner and others who have paid a nasty price for a costly mistake on the playing field.

McCallum missed two field goals, including the potential "18 yard" winner in overtime, in a 27-25 loss to the B.C. Lions in the CFL West final Sunday in Vancouver. Within hours, eggs had been thrown at his home, manure dumped on his lawn and he had been the target of threats.

Missed Kick

Add Saskatchewan's Paul McCallum to the list of Scott Norwood, Bill Buckner and others who have paid a nasty price for a costly mistake on the playing field.

McCallum missed two field goals, including the potential "18 yard" winner in overtime, in a 27-25 loss to the B.C. Lions in the CFL West final Sunday in Vancouver. Within hours, eggs had been thrown at his home, manure dumped on his lawn and he had been the target of threats.

Missed Kick

119542[/snapback]

We used to be classy fans that would never do that. Now, we would burn his fuggin' house down. :rolleyes:

We used to be classy fans that would never do that.  Now, we would burn his fuggin' house down. :D

119748[/snapback]

Oh I don't know. You all know the story of Booth Lusteg, the Bills kicker who missed a crucial FG at the Rockpile. After the game he was walking home and some Bills fans jumped him in an alleyway and beat the stevestojan out of him. When asked why he didn't press charges, Lusteg said "because I deserved it." :rolleyes:

I don't think that those things happened to Norwood, did they?  All I heard were the positives, like the rally in downtown Buffalo chanting his name.

CW

119664[/snapback]

No they didnt.

Just another case of the media trying to find anything to compare Norwood and Bill Buckner too, like both of those guys signle handily were te only reason both teams lost. Please.

Oh I don't know.  You all know the story of Booth Lusteg, the Bills kicker who missed a crucial FG at the Rockpile.  After the game he was walking home and some Bills fans jumped him in an alleyway and beat the stevestojan out of him.  When asked why he didn't press charges, Lusteg said "because I deserved it."  :rolleyes:

119773[/snapback]

The Ballad of BOOTH LUSTEG K Buffalo Bills 1966; Miami Dolphins 1967

The Booth Lusteg story is strange one, indeed. In 1966, the Buffalo Bills were in need of a kicker, after having their current kicker, Pete Gogolak, was signed the rival NFL New York Giants on May 17, 1966. The Bills needed someone to fill the big shoes of Gogolak. What they got was Booth Lusteg. Here is his "ballad"...

August 7: Rookie Booth Lusteg boots four field goals in Bills’ 19-13 victory over Boston in the pre-season opener.

August 12: For the second game in a row, Booth kicks four field goals in a 25-3 win over Denver.

October 8: Lusteg misses four out of five field goals, disappointing a record War Memorial Stadium crowd of 45,545 during the Bills 20-10 loss to Boston.

October 16: Booth misses wide right on a 23-yard FG with six seconds left as Bills and Chargers play to a 17-17 tie. It was his third miss in four attempts this day. Ralph Wilson tried to console his kicker: “You’ll make them forget that miss.” Said Lusteg: “Contrary to what people think, I still think I’m a good kicker. Sure I’m disappointed. I hate to miss, I hate to lose. But Gogolak missed a couple, too. I wasn’t nervous before that kick, I was confident. I felt good, I hit it good. I didn’t choke, I just missed it.”

October 16: An unidentified Bill on Lusteg: “Everyone blows one at one time or another, but this guy will never be a real pro if he’s going to sulk like that. He felt sorry for himself all week after the Boston game. He better discipline himself and pull out of it.”

October 16: After the loss, a disconsolate Lusteg walks home from the stadium, only to be attacked on Buffalo’s Delaware Avenue by three men. “They pulled over to the curb and started yelling, ‘You bum’ and cursing me,” Booth said. “One hit me and the other ripped my shirt. It was still broad daylight and people were around, so they jumped back in their car and drove away.”

October 17: Booth refuses to sign a complaint against the “over-wrought, irresponsible and youthful punks” he said attacked him following the Chargers game. “I consider it an unfortunate incident that does not represent the true spirit of Buffalonians.”

October 30: Lusteg gains a measure of redemption as he kicks four field goals as the Bills beat the first-place Jets, 33-23. His teammates award him the game ball.

November 30: Ted Barron, a Boston businessman and owner of the minor league team Booth kicked for in 1965, says he’ll try to prevent Lusteg from playing in the showdown against the Patriots in Fenway Park. Barron says Lusteg still is bound to an option clause in his contract with the New Bedford Sweepers of the Atlantic Coast League. It’s also revealed that Barron had offered Lusteg to the Pats, but they declined, and Lusteg made his own deal with the Bills after Gogolak joined the Giants. Barron says Buffalo offered him $500 for Lusteg’s services after Booth agreed to join the Bills. The Bills deny ever having made an offer for Lusteg.

December 2: A story in the Boston Traveler reveals that Lusteg had lied about his age (he was 27, not 25) and that he wasn’t a graduate of Boston College as he had said, but actually was a 1960 cum laude graduate of the University of Connecticut. Booth reportedly pretended to be his brother, Wally, who did attend Boston College, but quit the football team after just one day. The reason for taking on Wally’s identity was that Wally was only 25. “Who ever heard of a 27-year-old rookie in pro football?” Lusteg said when asked why he had lied. “I feel bad about this, though I never expected to keep it a secret forever. I did it to play football and hoped I could keep it quiet until I became established. I was afraid the Bills wouldn’t give me a chance if they knew I was a 27-year-old rookie.” Says Joel Collier: “I don’t care if he’s Brand X, as long as he keeps kicking field goals.”

December 3: The Bills arrive in Boston for the big game with the Patriots and find a pair of $50,000 lawsuits waiting for them; one for the team, and one for Booth Lusteg. The suits were a breach of contract, arising from Ted Barron’s contention that the Bills did not pay him after signing Lusteg. Barron, however, did back off and trying to get Lusteg banned from the game, saying “it would be unsportsmanlike and many fans have already purchased tickets expecting to see him play.”

January 19, 1967: Mike Mercer, the most accurate kicker in 1966 while with the Chiefs, is acquired for a fifth-round draft choice in the 1968 draft. Mercer had joined the Bills developmental squad after being waived by Oakland early in the 1966 season. However, satisfied with Booth Lusteg, Joel Collier released him and the Chiefs picked him up on the condition that Collier could take him back at the end of the season. Surprisingly, the Chiefs and the league go along with the demand.

Training Camp, 1967: Bills cut Booth Lusteg.

December, 1967: Booth leads the Dolphins in scoring with 39 points.

Missed Kick

119542[/snapback]

Respectfully hoping that the Lions pound the snot out of the Argo's - especially since Toronto held out some players in their end-of-season loss to Montreal.

If the Bills offense gets 10 more yards, the kick is good.  I blame the offense.

119882[/snapback]

Why blame any single facet? There was more than enough blame to go around for losing to a team we should have beaten by 3 TDs, which would have easily been the margin had the coaches swapped sidelines that day.

CFL football is a strange bird. His missed FG in OT got them a "Rouge" (one point) so Saskatchewan actually had a 25-24 OT lead but you can't win a game on a rouge. Rian Lindell would actually do pretty well at getting the rouge!

Respectfully hoping that the Lions pound the snot out of the Argo's - especially since Toronto held out some players in their end-of-season loss to Montreal.

119888[/snapback]

The Argo's beat the Tiger -Cats so that is also a strike against them. Pin Ball is a excellent person though......